Modern Omron G5L-UA-006000 Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Omron G5L-UA-006000 Relay

I have an Omron G5L-UA-006000 relay that needs to be replaced and there doesn't seem to be one manufactured under that number anymore. Can someone tell me one that would be equivalent?

The top of the relay says the following:
    24VDC
    5A250VAC
    5A30VDC
    Coil 24VDC

It runs the light on a garage door opener. Thanks.

Re: Modern Omron G5L-UA-006000 Relay

Consider Omron G5LE series of cube relay, although it's missing coil current specs and I emailed Omron to fix that. It seems to be 1,440 ohms or 17.8mA 24V.

G5LE-1A4 DC24 (24V coil, higher 10A contacts 250V SPST-NO) $1.42 Digi-key Z2254-ND is a generic popular appliance relay.

I'd also replace the motor relays, as a preventative measure - they wear out faster than the light relay.

Comment

I am just wondering if anyone found out where to get this original Omron relay (G5L-UA-006000). There are two of them on the garage door opener logic board I am looking into, along with one other Omron relay (G8P-114P-FD-US). These relays seem to be obsolete, along with the logic board itself. The problem is when the opener light is on, the remote does nothing unless I hold it right up to the antenna. The wall control and remote work fine otherwise. A very common problem, I understand. I have yet to see if I can clean the contacts on the relays. I figure I would start there.

Comment

Look at the receiver board section low value capacitors under a 100uf and replace them and see if works better or fixes
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

For issues with your garage door opener remote, try:

1. Fresh battery in the remote

2. LED bulbs make a lot of radio frequency interference and when on they can swamp the signal from remotes. So unscrew them or shut them off (i.e. garage lights) and see if that changes things. The remote will work OK with the lights off, but not when they are on. So the door opens but won't close kind of problem.
          There can also be another nearby source of RF interference like WiFi router etc. that needs to be moved.

3. Older remotes have a tuning adjustment inside, on the circuit board. This is for their transmit frequency. They can drift off and give you short range. I will take them apart and with a tiny screwdriver, turn the adjustment a tiny bit and see what the range is like. If it's worse, turn in the other direction.

4. Remote control has a worn out button or bad solder joints and need repair.

5. With secure rolling-code remotes, if the opener and remote are out of sync, it will take I think 3 presses of the remote to resync. This gets aggravated if the remote is not heard (missed) a few times, the opener won't recognize it right away.

6. The garage door opener control board might have bad electrolytic capacitors which need replacing.

Comment

Here are pics of my three replaced relay contacts, original Song Chuan 833H-1C-C 24VDC in a 1/2HP opener. Replaced with slightly bigger (same footprint) Omron G5LE-1-DC24 but these are not (flux) sealed G5LE-1A4-DC24 because of component shortages. I don't think it matters in a garage.
            One relay is for motor open, another for close, the one for the lamp is least worn. The motor contacts after 14 years are arced and pitted and worn. The Song Chaun 833H part seems OK quality but I went with Omron for the $2.
            The snubber is only 4.7nF 400V+33Ω so I upsized to 47nF X2.

It fixed some symptoms of the door opening or closing partially then stopping, and needing a second blip from the remote. There is still some problem with a remote.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
              There has always been an old school bulb in it, and the light socket has been cleaned. These light sockets, being just plastic, always seem to be a problem in these units. The remote works fine, and has good range, when the light is off. So I am pretty certain the receiver section is fine. There are new batteries in the remote as well. There are no new sources of possible RFI in the immediate area, either. The light relay also feeds power to the motor through the other two relays, so it does some heavy lifting. I am hoping the contacts are just arcing and carbon-tracked, and is interfering with the signal when the light is on. Will clean what relays I can and take a good look at the board in general and hope for the best.

Comment

Most modern cube relays don't come apart for cleaning, the cover is glued in place. I had to cut those open, trash the cover to look at the contacts.

I think it's difficult to get steady arcing from a bad connection or dirty relay contact. Something gets hot. If it's not an RF noise problem, it might be that power (on the control board) is sagging when one (light) relay is on. This could point to a bad capacitor on the board. They are running 24/7 and after even 5 years that's 43,800 hours of life, so they do dry out.
                Or a metal door moving up and blocking the antenna? That wire has to be away from any metal.
                Maybe start a new thread with the model # and pictures, we can figure it out.

I found for the $6 I just replaced all 3 relays because I knew they were getting pretty old.

Comment

Cleaned K1 (down relay), & K3 (power and light relay), with no real improvement. The covers snapped off easily on those (which are Omron #G5L-UA-006000). The other relay is K2 (Omron #G8P-114P-FD-US), which is the down relay. That one looks like the cover is sealed. I didn't take that one off the board yet. It did have carbon marks around the base, which I cleaned off with window cleaner. The number on the component side of the board is #14LG0500B which I found on a site that rebuilds these, and it showed an Aromat #JT1E-DC24V-H24 relay in place of the original for K2. I could not find that relay online either. That circuit board number looks like it is used for a few models of openers depending on where the light/s are on the unit, but the board was basically the same as the one I am dealing with except how the light was wired. The bottom line is cleaning or replacing that last relay (K2) might do the trick.

Comment

Just an update. Ended up solving the failed receiver problem by installing a Solidremote #202U version 6d remote RF relay switch. This remote RF relay switch has two SPDT relays on it (two channels), and just hooks up in parallel with the wall switch using the N.O. contacts of one of the relays. The factory default of the unit is set to momentary contact, so it is was all set right off the bat. It seems very well constructed, and was fairly inexpensive. Without a schematic of the logic board of the garage door opener, this just seemed like quickest way to go. It now works great. Thanks for your suggestions, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X