Hitachi 42HDT52 Plasma TV - HDMI initially has no sound on Power-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitachi 42HDT52 Plasma TV - HDMI initially has no sound on Power-up

Hi all. Up until 3 years ago I used component video as the connection between my Comcast cable box and this TV and never had any issues with it -- it always worked perfectly. Then I upgraded my cable service and the new box had only an HDMI connection. The Comcast remote controls both the cable box and the TV. About 50% of the time, when I would first turn the TV on I would get video but no sound. After trying new cables, a new cable box, and switching between the two HDMI ports had made no difference, I changed the video source to see if that made any difference. It did not but I did notice that when I switched back to the STB as the source it now had sound. I was able to confirm that that worked every time. So that was my work-around and I lived with it.

Recently I gave the TV to my sister-in-law [who also has xFinity with a STB with an HDMI connection] and explained how to get sound those times that it didn't come on with the TV. She seems to be able to remember that about 10% of the time, and mentions it 100% of the times we see her.

It does not happen on our Samsung or LG TVs, just this Hitachi. It appears that it might be some type of timing issue but I don't have a way of confirming that. If so then its most likely in the TV itself since my understanding is that the STB is always on and the power button on the xFinity remote is simply turning the TV itself on.

Does anyone know of a fix or work-around? Besides going back to component video that is.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.
    Howard
    Seattle, WA

Re: Hitachi 42HDT52 Plasma TV - HDMI initially has no sound on Power-up

What is the firmware version on the tv? There was an update that might have fixed this.

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to check that the next time I'm at my SiL's house. In the meantime, I've looked for a Hitachi support site to see what downloads are available and don't find one.
      Howard
      Seattle, WA

Comment

I am unable to find a Hitachi web site with any support files, firmware, manuals, etc. but after contacting Hitachi Customer Service by email, I got the following reply:
        ================================================
        "Hello and thank you for contacting Hitachi,

Please see firmware update .zip file and instructions on how to proceed attached below. Keep in mind that the firmware needs to be placed on an SD card no greater than 1Gb in size, otherwise the TV may not recognize the storage device.

Thank you for choosing Hitachi,"

================================================

I unzipped the file that was included, and it contained a 12MB file, DW1UA116.E01, along with the update instructions. I had already discovered that the TV did not accept 9-pin SD cards and required the older 7-pin MMC cards that are 1GB or less, so I bought one on eBay that was 256MB.

The TV still gives no indication that it is finding the update -- I don't know if it's not finding the card or if it's finding the card but not recognizing the fw update file. I found one post where the person was successful back when the TV was newer, and Hitachi kept its support files online. However, it was an old post, did not contain any specifics about the file name, and the OP never responded to any of my inquiries.

The manual doesn't say what the card format should be, and Hitachi customer service said they didn't know - back in the day they would have just sent out the MMC card with the new firmware already loaded.

I've tried FAT and FAT32 -- no difference.
        Last edited by Howard_Woodard; 05-25-2021, 07:19 PM.
        Howard
        Seattle, WA

Comment

What does the tv show as the current version? The mmc card should be formatted as fat32. make sure to UN-ZIP the file and place it on the card, the root of the card should have the file DW1UA116.E01 listed.
          The older version I have has a file name: DW1UC105.E06

Attach the file and I can check it.
          Last edited by R_J; 05-26-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Dang, I don't have access to the TV very often and I try different variations of card/format/file, etc each time but I keep forgetting to write the current fw version down. I'll get it but for now I can say that [I think] the version number shown on the TV bears no similarity to the file name that was sent me - but I could be wrong. I will see if I can keep my nub of a brain engaged enough to get the fw vers shown on the TV sometime this weekend.

The 7-pin MMC card is formatted for FAT32 and has no sub-directories. I've tried putting the card in before I go into setup as well as after I'm in setup. I can't remember if I've tried to put it in before powering the TV up or not.

Do you have this same TV?

Thanks for your post and offer of help - I appreciate it.

PS: I just sent my sister-in-law instructions for getting to the update screen and then taking a picture of it for me. If she can do that I'll post it here.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Howard_Woodard; 05-27-2021, 11:35 AM.
            Howard
            Seattle, WA

Comment

I copied the file to a card (formatted fat), without the card inserted, it says to insert the card, when I insert the card it tells me that it could not find a newer firmware to upgrade, So for fun I deleted the file and it still came up with the same "Cant find newer file from mmc"
              Last edited by R_J; 05-27-2021, 07:25 PM.

Comment

So, you are using a 7-pin MMC that is formatted FAT, not a 9-pin SD using FAT32?

And you had the file DW1UC105.E06 as the only file on it?

Interesting because I get no indication whatsoever that it is recognizing my KingMax 256mb MMC card -- file or no file.

My firmware version is V0110.0001. What is yours?

I'm attaching a picture of my setup screen.
                Attached Files
                Howard
                Seattle, WA

Comment

My set is the 55HDT52 and it's main firmware is V0101.0001 It was the latest from Hitachi a couple years ago for this model. I used a 9 pin SD card, I can't remember if that is what I used to upgrade it in the past or I used a borrowed mmc card.
                  It should recognize if a card is inserted, my SD card had the label out (pins toward front of tv)
                  If you have a MMC card it should come up with something when it is inserted and told to upgrade.
                  Last edited by R_J; 05-27-2021, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I've tried 9-pin SD card and the older 7-pin MMC card. The card is inserted with the notch down (only way it will latch in and the way the update instructions show). I've not seen any indication that the card is being detected.

What is the make/type and size of your card that's being detected?
                    Howard
                    Seattle, WA

Comment

They are Ultra Secure data Card 128 meg

Comment

It would be interesting to be able to get some sort of confirmation that the file they sent me is even the correct fw for my TV.

Looks like this is kinda dead ending…
                        Howard
                        Seattle, WA

Comment

No main boards for sale ?
                          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Thanks for your post. I don't have any reason to think there's anything wrong with the main board, other than possibly the version of firmware that's loaded on it.

Unless there's something wrong with the MB that's keeping it from recognizing when a MMC is inserted. At this point I haven't found anything that makes that a strong possibility.
                            Howard
                            Seattle, WA

Comment

Howard_Woodard, did you ever get the firmware update to install? I have a 42HDT52A, updated firmware to V0102.0001 back in 2006. Now I'm having some issues with sparkly artifacts on SD digital broadcasts (not on HD). Hoping that might be fixed with new FW. Oddly, the problem goes away if I open the settings menu--the original picture is still shown in the background, and the artifacts are gone. So it's not a hardware issue. I know this is an old thread, but it's an old TV, too! (still has good picture quality on HD).

Comment

Working...
                              X