Delta TDPS-138AF Avaya no output repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Delta TDPS-138AF Avaya no output repair

I had this type of issue with those type of capacitors on one of my Desoldering station controller board before I found it I started touching different components on the board and found a spot that was real warm and took my ESR meter and check it had 14 ohms of resistance on the power supply rail

It was not correctly controlling the temperature is why I was troubleshooting it in the first place

Plus every one in while it would just cycle the power supply

If I have this kind-a problem where it cycling a power supply I will try your little trick

“ Using this 91% IPA and feeding power trick, never gets old.”

I have one request can go into a bit of details of how you do this with out messing up the board
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-26-2020, 06:32 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

O.k. Sam...,
      This trick is pretty much my last ditch effort to repair something, when I don't know where the short exactly is. However I do have to know what trace is shorted, for this trick to work. So troubleshooting is key. Also at this point the repair is an automatic 50/50 chance for me, although I do have a very high success rate that suggests other wise using this trick. After all I have to take stuff off the board, making sure nothing got damaged in the process.

Chasing a short, I take stuff off, one by one, trying to eliminate suspected problems on the shorted trace, 43 Ohms in my case. I try to be careful with the IC's and voltage regulators and take them off, but the rest not so much. Once I removed certain things and the short didn't go away, I look at the components, determent where to feed positive and negative and adjust between 5 to 12V, 0.5A to 1.5A from my CV & CC PSU, douse the board with IPA, wait anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes and look for the bubbles or feel for the heat.

Now in this case there were no bubbles, because it was on the back side of the PSU and there were 4 caps in parallel, so the heat would spread over the surrounding caps. But it still got hot enough for me after 2 mins to tell with my finger that this was the place to remove all 4 smd caps even with my fingers on the other side of the circuit board. A quick check with the DMM revealed 43 Ohms there as well, so.... well the rest you know.
      Feeding power to a SMD short is o.k, just don't feed too much power, rater wait for a minute or 2. Trust me, the shorted part will get hot as it has to dissipate all the power and create heat.

I also used this trick here on my arbitrary function generator: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=kuman
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 03-27-2020, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
        I also used this trick here on my arbitrary function generator: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=kuman
        I remember reading this post before and I even made a comment about your repair

Thanks for sharing them
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

yes and thanks sam.

Comment

Got another one of these funky PSU’s today on my bench. Same complaint, not working.
            Guess what?! Yep, same darn problem. This time I went straight to those 4 SMD caps in parallel on the back side of the PSU. Measured like 80 Ohms across them. Sure enough the second one in was the problem. Replaced SMD cap, PSU fixed. Took 5 mins, lol. Seems like they have a weak spot there.

Comment

This is interesting that you had another power supply with the same exact issue again wow
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Yes, exact same failure to the dot. There are four 10uF caps in parallel, which provide about 15VDC to the PWM's. The weird thing is that these caps aren't failing in a total short, rather fail in the 80 to 100 Ohm range. It does seem that this PSU model has a higher failure rate due to this. But it is easily fixed.

Comment

Just successfully repaired Avaya IP 500v TDPS 138. I was extremely lucky, the reason was easy to find: the fuse burned out, and checking the AC input resistance showed an asymmetric value depending on the polarity of the tester. Comparison with a working module also confirmed that faulty part is somewhere in the input circuit. Suspicion fell on the diode bridge, and indeed, when I soldered out the GBU8K chip, one of its diodes was in a short circuit. Replacing of the diode bridge restored the operation of the unit.

Comment

Well that was a easy lucky fix. I haven’t seen your problem on these PSU’s over here, but there must have been quite the voltage spike for the bridge rectifier to go short. Another one kept out of the land fill!

Comment

Got the original PSU back. Blown again. Same place same part. One of the 4 chip capacitors in parallel failed.The one I put in is still good. This time I had a 345 Ohm short across the capacitors.

NOW: I recommend to replace all 4 chip caps at the same time!

Comment

I was wondering about weather or not a good idea to replace all four of them at the same time is it unusual for this type of capacitor to go bad like that
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

My reasoning for this measure is because:
                          The PSU came back to me the second time with the same failure on the exact same spot.
                          I did measure all 4 caps out of circuit capacitance and resistance. While the capacitance was bang on through the remaining capacitors, the resistance was not.

One cap was my replacement, 3 where originals which one of them failed. The failed cap had 345 Ohm resistance and no capacitance on the DMM. My replacement cap had rated capacitance, the resistance was like 50 something MegOhms. I almost measured the same on an original cap, so that was good. However the last original cap while it had capacitance same as the others, the resistance was like 3MegOhm. So I figure this is the next one to go. So I just replaced them all 4 caps with new 50V 10uF.

Comment

Working...
                          X