Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic ST50 / GT or VT50?

Hey People ,

With help from TW2005 and Tom66 i repaired a complete dead 50VT50.
    Was a mainboard fault but i couldn't find the VT50 mainboard so i bought a ST50 mainboard and its working perfectly in this set.

I like the quality of the picture but it needed some tweaking to get the best quality! I have not seen the VT50 so i can't compare these sets with each other.

My question is : Does anyone own a VT50 and has seen the ST50? If so , is it noticeable in picture quality/sharper or is it simply a difference in options? ( and black level ).
    i don't need the extra hdmi/sattelite but if the quality in picture is better then i might buy a new mainboard.

I googled this question but i don't get a satisfying answer.

Thanks!
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Re: Panasonic ST50 / GT or VT50?

Black level, number of subfields (colour depth and dithering), etc.

VT50 is near Kuro level. Superior in some regards. ST50 is the base line 1080p 3D set - a very respectable set but not as good as the VT50. GT50 is the next step up.

The VT50 has a 0.008cd/m^2 blacklevel, the ST50 has 0.012cd/m^2. (Kuro 9G is <0.001cd/m^2)

So the black is 50% brighter but it may be a case of diminishing returns, not really worth it if you are already happy.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

So if you would run these sets next to each other you will see the difference? So basically at this moment i got a mercedes motor in a ferrari ?
      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Ok , im a video freak and couldn't resist buying a new mainboard.
        Got lucky and found a VT50 mainboard real cheap.

Original board was a TXN/A1SKUE and the one i got now is TXN/A1SKUB which is a UK model.
        The board was labeled as a ST50 board and was cheaper then the GT50 board haha.

Black level is much better then ST50 but im unsure which settings i need to use. I now use " professional1 ".

Happy with the original board in the tv!

Comment

Hello Tom66,
          As an electrostatic designer and sometimes reviewer for various journals I favour the late Panasonic Plasmas. Hence I read w/ appreciative interest your knowledgeable distinction between the late ST, GT and VT50's. I should be grateful if you could relate the perceivable and functional difference between the GT50 and VT50's, in this case the P50's. If you also know the essential difference between these and the P50VT60/65 I would really like to know (though I don't expect to be able to get one).

I have a P50VT50 which HDMI inputs have ceased (without the no-no of plugging or unplugging cables while active). All else, including the USB port, works fine. I have looked for a replacement Main AV Board (TXN/A1SKUB) to no avail and assume an alternative board (from e.g. a GT50) would not provide the same capacities. I'm told the HDMI drive IC is the problem and that it commonly fails. I cannot find a component level repairer (presumably the HDMI drive IC) and am told that Panasonic can repair them (for somewhere between £125-£175 + shipping). If you agree that the above is the likely fault do you know of a component level repairer who can obtain the IC part of course, if not a potential board replacement? I should be grateful for your knowledgeable help.

Comment

Hello Tom66,
            As an electrostatic speaker designer and sometimes reviewer for various journals I favour the late Panasonic Plasmas. Hence I read w/ appreciative interest your knowledgeable distinction between the late ST, GT and VT50's. I should be grateful if you could relate the visible and functional difference between the GT50 and VT50's, in this case the P50's. If you also know the essential difference between these and the P50VT60/65 I would really like to know (though I don't expect to be able to get one).

If you find it interesting I relate below a novel malfunction I experienced, with a twist in the end. I have a P50VT50 which HDMI inputs ceased (without the "no-no" of plugging or unplugging cables while active). All else, including the USB port, worked fine. Power off on the unit itself and resetting to shipping condition, changing cables and ports, all made no difference. I looked for a replacement Main AV Board (TXN/A1SKUB) to no avail and assume an alternative board (from e.g. a GT50) would not provide the same capacities. I'm told the HDMI drive IC is the problem and that it commonly fails. I cannot find a component level repairer (presumably to replace the HDMI drive IC) and am told that Panasonic can repair them (for somewhere between £125-£175 + shipping). I wonder if you agree that the above was the likely fault? In this regard do you perhaps know of a component level repairer in the Uk, who can obtain the IC part of course, if not a potential board replacement? After removing the back panel to get the TXN#, and trying to find a board or repairer, I reassembled the back cover, etc. Then guess what? It worked fully again! I'm puzzled. Any idea why. My only guess is, although it was powered down manually from the unit's side power switch, disconnecting it from the mains (with any static voltage dissipation) for some hours may be what curiously revived the unit. Any thoughts? I should be grateful for your knowledgeable help.

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
              Ok , im a video freak and couldn't resist buying a new mainboard.
              Got lucky and found a VT50 mainboard real cheap.

Original board was a TXN/A1SKUE and the one i got now is TXN/A1SKUB which is a UK model.
              The board was labeled as a ST50 board and was cheaper then the GT50 board haha.

Black level is much better then ST50 but im unsure which settings i need to use. I now use " professional1 ".

Happy with the original board in the tv!
              Hi Moreno 83,
              is the non-original (ST50) mainboard for sale?

Comment

Working...
              X