X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BQ24735 - faulty?

Thank you for your replies
    @mon2
    There is not blob. JP 8805 is as a path on PCB. I would have to cut the path on PCB to divide JP8805.
    Tomorrow I will check the surroundings of Q8805.
    Yes, I have a variable power supply. How to use it in the best way in this case properly?

Sephir0th:
    what current should I use if injecting voltage? Voltage 19V?

Thank you for help

Comment

what current should I use if injecting voltage? Voltage 19V?
      Never this high a voltage!! Always recommend to use a voltage lower or equal to the lowest voltage on the logic board.

We use 0v7 = 0.7 volts with our SHORT KILLER tool which can pulse out 30A of current. It worked to fix a macbook yesterday within minutes of being dropped off to our shop. With a thermal camera, lit up the tantalum cap like a Christmas tree. Could smell the defective cap which cracked up like popcorn.

Still suggest to review the board and use injection as a last resort.

What is the exact resistance to ground in ohms ? Use the lowest scale on your meter. Very possible that you have a shorted cap but we still need to keep the voltage LOW - in case that the same voltage travels to the CPU rail due to a defective high side mosfet that may be leaking. That is, what you apply here will reach the CPU and absolutely kill the component.

Comment

There is 1.3 Ohm short to ground
        We use 0v7 = 0.7 volts with our SHORT KILLER tool which can pulse out 30A of current.
        Do you mean I should use 0.7V and as many Amps I can set on my laboratory power supply until those 30Apms?
        I also tried to find out and check Q8804 as you suggested yesterday. Unfortunatelly I do not have a boardview and PCB is not described well - marking each part - so it is quite hard to find out a particular part. But if there were any short in cappacitors around that Q8804 also a drain of that Q8804 woud have to be in short, I think
        But there is no other mosfet( I find) that is in short - except Q8802 ( after not being able to desolder JP 8805 because it is connected as a path on PCB.)

Is it a time for voltage injection now?
        Thank you for help

Comment

Can you post a few pics of your board?

The mosfets should be simple to locate. We know the gate pins are driven by the charger IC. Place your meter in DIODE mode. Remove all power to the logic board.

Short the meter probes and confirm the tone.

Now one probe on gate pin #4 as an example. Other meter probe to a nearby resistor. Do you hear a tone? No? Skip to another resistor till you do.

After finding the resistor, switch to the other side of the resistor. Other meter probe now direct to the charger IC.

Comment

Here are some pictures of mainboard.
            Both top and bottom sides have two pictures
            Part1-a.jpg shows part where BQ24735 is and Part1-b.jpg is the opposite side where mosfets are.
            Part1-b.jpg is the other part of side where BQ24735 is and Part2-b.jpg is the other part where mosfets are .
            IN red ink I made few notes there
            Thank you for advice how to continue with the repair.
            Attached Files

Comment

BQ24735 - still probem with it

I try to repair laptop ACER SWIFT SF314-51 , which is dead.
              I found out there is a problem with BQ24735 - ACDRV (pin 4) is only about 0.9V. ( if i remove resistor - coming from that ACDRV to mosfet, value is still not good).

Few others values of BQ24735 are:
              Values are about :

pin 20: VCC 19V

pin 6: ACDET 2.6V

pin 16: REGN 5.99V

pin 5: ACOK 1.6V

When I remove pull up resistor from pin 5 ( ACOK) value becomes about 3.3V.

Do you think that there must be a problem after that pull up resistor rail, so that the voltage from ACOK is pull down not pull up?

I tried 3 different BQ24735 but the results still not good

Laptop schematic included.

Any help would be appreciated.
              Attached Files

Comment

Re: BQ24735 - still probem with it

Leave the ACDRV resistor off till the voltage is boosted.

Apply flux and reflow the charger IC till the ic swims back into the proper alignment on the smd pads. Then gently push from the corner with tweezers till the ic moves away a small amount and let go. All while blowing with hot air. The ic will bounce back, naturally. The pads are likely shorting under the charger IC.

Check the ACDRV pin voltage again. Other voltages are fine. ACOK is open drain and requires a pull up resistor to define the logic high status. For now, review the ACDRV pin.

Comment

Working...
                X