Sony xbr-65x930e faded to black; now has backlight but no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony xbr-65x930e faded to black; now has backlight but no picture

Hopefully someone can help me out. This tv was working perfectly until a few weeks ago. At some point, the TV just faded to black, but sound continued playing. It almost looked like smoke on the screen as it faded from the bottom left corner toward the top right. Took only a second or less, but wasn't instant. After restarting, it turned back on and worked fine for another day or two. Then it happened again more or less the same way, but in a slightly different direction, again with sound continuing. I thought it was working fine after another restart, but looked a bit dimmer than before. Then I noticed that colors and brightness would be good right after turning on, but would slowly get duller and darker.

After another day or so, instead of fading to black, it suddenly started distorting the picture and showing a double image a couple millimeters apart, sound stayed normal. Once again, fineish after restart. I started reading up on what it could be and was recommended to do some resets and move the plug into a different outlet. I removed the TV from the surge protector it had been in and plugged it directly into the wall, away from other power cables and everything seemed to stop. brightness improved and no more sudden weirdness. It worked for another week or so.

Then one day when turning on, the startup logo showed up, but spazzed out and went black. Backlights still work, but no image. Can't start anything to check sound. If I try to go to the homescreen or start netflix from the remote, the backlit black screen does seem like it changes slightly, but still no picture.

I got led in the direction of a bad t-con board, but also possibly a bad main. I got a replacement for both. Replaced the T-con first and had zero change. Replaced the main in addition to the new t-con and had zero change. Looked further into it and landed on the tape trick. Removed the panel control ribbons from t-con side and checked one at a time to see if I'd get half the screen to play, but still zero change. Figured that even though I hadn't updated the firmware yet, I'd still get some kind of image or menus on the screen, but no, only backlit black.

Decided to get the update going, so put it on a flash drive and tried starting it up, despite not being able to see its progress. Started with green/amber flashing, but the update automatically started, so the led changed to slowly flashing white. About 10 minutes in, there was a power outage. When the power came back on, I tried the update again and it proceeded from green/amber to slow white, to restarting a bunch of times and continued slow white, and finally landing on solid white. I left it to sit for another 30 minutes or so, after that, but no change and still no picture. I figured the update was complete, so I pressed enter on the remote and a little chime sounded from what seemed like the main board area. I removed the drive and I have a solid white led, with a backlit black screen like I started with.

I apologize for the length, but I figured you'd want to know as much of the situation and symptoms as possible. I sincerely hope that you can help with some information. Thank you so much in advance, for reading this mess!

Will follow up with photos tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by kerberos137; 11-29-2022, 05:56 AM. Reason: fix title

Re: Sony xbr-65x930e faded to black; now has backlight but no picture

sounds like the EMMC chip on mainboard is bad, I'm sure theres lots of people selling boards with bad/dead EMMC chips on them, either they don't know they are bad or don't care.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 11-29-2022, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Is that something that I would be able to test? Also, I've been advised that an update interruption like that outage would always ruin the main board. Is that really 100% always the case?

Since I currently have two t-con boards and two main boards is there any troubleshooting I can do to rule things out? I seriously doubt that both original boards were at fault in the first place, nor that both new ones arrived broken.

Comment

check Nick's tv on youtube, he knows these sonys well.

Comment

I'm actually already speaking with him as well. I decided to swap my original main board back in and followed it up with a hard reset. I was able to get some kind of meditation sounding music playing and could adjust volume from the remote. Would that indicate that the old main board is all good or could it still be a possible culprit in my missing picture?

Comment

OP, your original problem seems to panel related.
            Now you might be dealing with multiple issues.
            But since TV boots up and you hear sound, probably eMMC is OK.

Comment

Yes, you describe a bad panel not eMMC IMO.

Comment

go with Nick's advice, as he is the one actually fixing these and not just GUESSING.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                  go with Nick's advice, as he is the one actually fixing these and not just GUESSING.
                  Diagnosing when we don't have the item in front of us is guessing but it's based on the words written and any photos given. It can be a wild guess or based on understanding whats being written or shown and experience.

Reading what the OP writes, he describes a bad panel, you guessed EMMC (sic).

Comment

did read the words the op wrote AND it doesn't seem like a bad panel IMO diff, so my advice stands, listen to Nick not the (SIC)

Comment

Have NEVER seen a bad panel act in this way, so imo YOU are JUST WRONG.

Comment

lets take a poll, who besides diff and alf thinks the problem is a bad panel?

Comment

The fact the TV starts, makes a noise, turns on the backlights and updates suggests the mainboard and eMMC are OK.

The picture fading to black suggests some part of the panel is at fault.

What is it that suggests eMMC to you nomoresonys ?

Comment

lcd Panel faulty is my guess

Comment

does not have to be emmc, what I said was a bad emmc doesnt just produce one same symptom every time, AND I said I have never seen a bad panel on a sony act in this manner, so how many xbr's have you worked on diff, I see Nick working on them frequently, so my advice stands. maybe do a little research instead of just flappin your gums.
                              Last edited by nomoresonys; 11-30-2022, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Troubleshooting is is about facts and isolating problem step by step. Rumors, gambling, pointing finger into sky, seeking needle in a haystack, judging by number of posts is not my way, sorry. This applies not only to this thread.

Comment

So while I'm waiting for Nick's reply, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can test what part of the panel is faulty?
                                  He originally mentioned that he thinks there's a good chance of the tape trick working if I can get a good new working main board. And that maybe I didn't do it correctly on my first attempt. I think that's very likely haha and I do have my old working main board installed now, so I can start working on figuring out the panel issue.

When i turn it on with either single ribbon in the t-con, I don't get the half and half display that others get; just my same backlight black screen. So it seems to me that either both sides have traces that need to be blocked or there's something else going on instead of or in addition to this.
                                  I spent several hours yesterday moving a piece of tape around and got no change. I could still be doing it wrong and I only did one ribbon so far. Any advice on this technique or other tests to narrow things down would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Here's a pic of my t-con board. It's difficult to tell which traces the clock inputs are. I see ckv1-ckv4 and ckvb1-ckvb4 under the square that says MODEL, but can't tell how they all line up with the ribbon cable.
                                    I took that piece of tape on the right ribbon and went from right to left, a few lines at a time and got no change. Then cut it in half because I figured I was covering more than 8 lines and started going back again. I was gonna do the other ribbon today.

I hope someone tells me I'm just doing something way off and not that it's completely screwed.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alfatv View Post
                                      Troubleshooting is is about facts and isolating problem step by step. Rumors, gambling, pointing finger into sky, seeking needle in a haystack, judging by number of posts is not my way, sorry. This applies not only to this thread.
                                      Really now? and just how did you apply all this logic in post #6, answer is YOU DID NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                        Really now? and just how did you apply all this logic in post #6, answer is YOU DID NOT.
                                        Mr Right, show us the right attitude, then maybe we will follow.

Comment

Working...
                                        X