Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to flash W25M02GVZEIG chips?

Hi there,
    I am here trying to dump firmwares for a couple of old routers and they all come up with a W25M02GVZEIG chip (W25M02GV winbond 25 series spi nand flash, package type ZE wson8 chip)

The programmer I am using is ezp2019+ and I had to solder the wires to the pins. But unfortunately I am unable to read it with it.

So I want to know whether this chip can be dumped or not, whether ezp2019+ can dump it or not and if not, what programmer should I use and what instructions I should follow up?

Re: How to flash W25M02GVZEIG chips?

are you removing the chip first?
    adapters
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002036920820.html

Comment

No I am not. One of the boards I have has soldering pads on the reverse side of where chip is soldered. I soldered the wires there.
      Although I am still using the SOP16/8 to DIP8 adapter, someone told me to instead connect the wires directly to the programmer. Yet to try it still.
      (I reckoned that the adapter only mattered if the chips were to be soldered on it, and if I were using some clip or soldered the wires to the actual board against the chip, using a different adapter might not matter)

Comment

Cheaper adapters https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003319895312.html
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
          Thanks but am I really in the need of adapters? I thought the point of adapters was only when if you could remove the chip from board. If you can't then adapter is barely only used to make contact with the wires. Or am I wrong?

Not that I can't order one from AliExpress. It'll take more than a month or even 2 to reach though.

Comment

the way you did it will try to power the whole board.
            to do that you need to do 2 things
            1: power the board up
            2: stop it running by grounding any clock or crystal or holding the cpu in reset

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              the way you did it will try to power the whole board.
              to do that you need to do 2 things
              1: power the board up
              2: stop it running by grounding any clock or crystal or holding the cpu in reset
              By lowering the board, do you mean I give it supply from it's own charger or just the power it gets from the programmer?

I thought when I soldered them it takes care of it all, is that not the case? Is that why adapters are needed?

Comment

you power the router from it's own psu and do not connect the vcc wire from the programmer.
                just connect ground and the signal wires.

the programmer cannot supply 1A or whatever the router will try to pull.

Comment

you power the router from it's own psu and do not connect the vcc wire from the programmer.
                  just connect ground and the signal wires.

the programmer cannot supply 1A or whatever the router will try to pull.
                  I see. Could you perhaps give a little visual of the pad configuration of the chip? I pulled the datasheet but I can't make sense from it. The pin/pad configuration it has doesn't match the solder points from the chip.

The pin configuration is specified on the horizontal (longer) side of the chip while the package specification accurately depicts where the solder points should be, on the vertical (shorter) side. I want to make sure what solder point corresponds to which pin on the chip.

Comment

can you link your datasheet.

Comment

can you link your datasheet.
                      https://www.winbond.com/hq/product/c...artNo=W25M02GV

The datasheet is just there.

For reference, check out section 3.1 on page 7 and section 11.1 on page 68.
                      3.1 shows the pad configuration which shows the internal pads to be on the long side of the chip. While 11.1 shows how they look on the chip when they have to be soldered.
                      That is how the chip is soldered, as far as can be seen from the naked eye without taking the chip off. And that is also how I have seen it to be soldered from a couple YouTube vids too.
                      Not the same chip but of winbond. Same wson8 config, 8 pin type chip.

Comment

Did you check them out yet @stj?

Comment

for the wson package,
                          you can probably get away with just

1 - chip select
                          2 - data out
                          4 - ground
                          5 - data in
                          6 - clock

Comment

for the wson package,
                            you can probably get away with just

1 - chip select
                            2 - data out
                            4 - ground
                            5 - data in
                            6 - clock
                            I see. I found your response to a similar thread about wson chips. Now I have two issues then.

The programmer I have is EZP2019+ not the ch341A. I am assuming I'll need to figure out the pin layout for it (it doesn't has pins and only adapter board can be used, but perhaps I could simply try and push the wires deep and make sure it connects with the pins inside it? Will that work)

Secondly, I still have no idea which pin corresponds to which one. I have attached 2 pics below.

A.) Pad Configuration

B.) Package specification

Both of these are for the ZE package, the one with 8 pin points, 8x6 mm in size.

Fig. A shows the pins on the long side of the chip. Fig. B shows the pins on the shorter side of the chip (which is how it seems to be soldered on the board)

So could you confirm which pin from fig A corresponds to which point on fig B? I am confused over this part more or less.

Comment

as long as you have the pin1 marking top-left then it's obvious.
                              i'v not had to work with these packages so i dont know any more

Comment

as long as you have the pin1 marking top-left then it's obvious.
                                i'v not had to work with these packages so i dont know any more
                                I do have the pin 1 marking for sure. So wherever pin 1 is, it supposedly marks the pin 1 on the fig A?
                                And the rest of the pin follows as is. Gotcha.

Well then I guess the issue is with the programmer and the adapter. I do not have a wson adapter and can't get easily and quickly. And my programmer doesn't have pin points like the ch314A and only has the socket for the adapter.

Now I did solder the wires on reverse side of the chip like this. All 8 of them. This set of wire I stripped from the soic8 test clip I had.

I am also using the SOP16/8 to DIP8 adapter only as I don't have the wson one. Could this be the issue that the programmer defects no chip. (Well this programmer simply shows a default type of chip if it doesn't detect anything. If I plug in the adapter it shows a different default chip but not the actual chip. Which is what it currently is showing me)

So either the issue is with using a wrong adapter. Or that the soldering isn't proper and somewhere some wire isn't in contact.

Comment

It looks like you're still trying to read the chip whilst it's soldered to the board.

Comment

you have the red wire on pin4

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                      It looks like you're still trying to read the chip whilst it's soldered to the board.
                                      @diif I am indeed. Really don't want to take it off unless there's no alternative at all.

@stj Do you mean I have soldered the red wire on pin 4 or I need to solder it on pin 4. Currently it is soldered to the pin 1. (The board is on the other side and when I flip that point should be the pin 1 on the back side)

Since you didn't answer about the adapter (SOP16/8), I'm assuming the adapter doesn't matter then?

Comment

Marking on the pcb board show that you solder red wire on place of pin #4. To check if it isnt that, use the multimeter in continuity mode and be shure if the pin #1 of chip connected to your red wire, and check to every other pins to comply continuity.
                                        So pin #1 must beep on red wire, pin #2 must beep with corresponding place of that, etc. These measurements you took on unplugged pcb, with no power on pcb, or programmer, basic stuff...

But I do not know if is some reason to make 'copy' of existing pins on the other side, no sense to me. Are you shure that this empty place on the other side is not provide for something else?

Can you put picture of original chip and it surrounding. Maybe you can connect on that side to nearest pad, just follow the trace.
                                        Last edited by harp; 06-23-2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X