X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Q] Format Bitlocked M.2/NVME ?

Hello,
    I have got some bitlocker locked ssd's.
    Does exists working way how to format it?
    I have tested diskpart, disk management, gparted etc...nothing is working ;(

Approx all are pullded from t480/t490 laptops.

...some are not visible in linux

Re: [Q] Format Bitlocked M.2/NVME ?

issue an ATA-RESET command and the controllers will reset the security and wipe the flash
    finding a utility to do it may take a while though - i'v only seen it done with linux scripts

Comment

Hmm...i can test it on m2, but nvme is not ata/sata based
      Maybe parted magic disc eraser can do it...or maybe with nvme-cli
      Last edited by CornholioGSM; 09-21-2022, 04:35 PM.

Comment

no idea, not looked at m2 - isnt m2 just usb and sata on a smaller connector though?

Comment

Did you find the drive when you ran the diskpart command ?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            no idea, not looked at m2 - isnt m2 just usb and sata on a smaller connector though?
            No, M2 can also be NVME... and T780/T790 is new enough to use such (my T460s was the first T4xx to support NVME).
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              No, M2 can also be NVME... and T780/T790 is new enough to use such (my T460s was the first T4xx to support NVME).
              ^This, M2 can be SATA or NVMe (PCI express).

SATA M2 drives have 2 key slots in the connector, and are limited to SATA speeds (6 Gbps) and look like this:

NVMe M2 drives run on the PCI Express bus, have one key slot on the connector and can run at much higher speeds (as fast as the generation of PCI Express X2 or X4 slot the CPU/Motherboard supports depending on how the drive and slot are configured) and look like this:

(Ignore the different drive lengths, that's just packaging and either type of drive can come in either length, it is the connector that matters)

A SATA drive can run in an NVMe capible slot (but limited to SATA speeds), but an NVMe drive cannot run in a SATA only slot (and the different slot keys will prevent it from being inserted).

And The Speed Differences:

SATA:

(yes there are SATA drives with faster write speeds, but the read speed is pretty close to bus saturation)

vs NVMe (Specifically a Western Digital SN850 running in a PCIe 4.0 X4 M2 slot):
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dmill89; 09-21-2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                ^This, M2 can be SATA or NVMe (PCI express).

SATA M2 drives have 2 key slots in the connector, and are limited to SATA speeds (6 Gbps) and look like this:

NVMe M2 drives run on the PCI Express bus, have one key slot on the connector and can run at much higher speeds (as fast as the generation of PCI Express X2 or X4 slot the CPU/Motherboard supports depending on how the drive and slot are configured) and look like this:

(Ignore the different drive lengths, that's just packaging and either type of drive can come in either length, it is the connector that matters)

A SATA drive can run in an NVMe capible slot (but limited to SATA speeds), but an NVMe drive cannot run in a SATA only slot (and the different slot keys will prevent it from being inserted).

And The Speed Differences:

SATA:

(yes there are SATA drives with faster write speeds, but the read speed is pretty close to bus saturation)

vs NVMe (Specifically a Western Digital SN850 running in a PCIe 4.0 X4 M2 slot):
                Yeah Nvme is pretty just a rom-bootable pci-E controller with flash chips on the other side.

M.2 Has x4 pci-e, USB and SATA and blanks for future expansion

But yeah not all cards are keyed for SATA. I have an x4 pci-e board with just a M.2 slot with a sata connector on the end so I can access any type of M.2 drive

It's how they make bluetooth/wifi M.2 adapters. PCI-E x1 is for the wifi part, and USB is for the bluetooth part all on one chip, but that is A+E keyed, vs whatever is the key for Nvme and sata I forget offhand
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

First does the drive show up in Windows file explorer?

Comment

Soo i have found , that simplest way for format bitlocked ssd is format it in HP bios
                    ...i have used hp prodesk 400 g3

...now will be good to find how to format bios locked nvme

Comment

Originally posted by CornholioGSM View Post
                      Soo i have found , that simplest way for format bitlocked ssd is format it in HP bios
                      ...i have used hp prodesk 400 g3

...now will be good to find how to format bios locked nvme
                      How did you do it

Comment

Working...
                    X