HP 250 G7 runs slow and battery charge is disabled when adapter is inserted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 250 G7 runs slow and battery charge is disabled when adapter is inserted

HP 250 G7 with i3 8130U, MB EPK50 LA-G07EP REV 2.0 , PN L65699-601, Windows 10

Laptop works perfectly when on battery and battery is charged correctly when laptop is off.
    Problem is that when adapter is inserted cpu clock is limited (visible in Task Mgr) and performance drops. Also battery charging is disabled when adapter is used and computer is on. As soon as computer is turned off battery charging starts.

Tried bios update through Windows from version F38 to F42 . Same problem

Reinstalled windows same problem.

I tried 2 different 45W original adapters and one 65W adapter perfectly working on other HP laptops (HP Probook 450 G3) but same problem.
    It looks like laptop thinks that a weak adapter is used and therefore reduces cpu power and disables charging.

I could not find any schematic or boardview, but I traced the adapter center pin signal (called AD_ID in other HP laptops) and the voltages look correct :
    - with 65W adapter : 1,13V on adapter connector ; 0,57V on pin 75 of EC
    - with 45W adapter : 0,76V on adapter connector ; 0,38V on pin 75 of EC
    Doing the math considering the resistor in the adapters and the resistors on MB the values are correct.

It looks as EC input for AD_ID signal is not working, but before replacing it (this is the only problem I have with this laptop) I would ask your advice if there is anything else to check or a possible workaround to the problem.
    Thanks in advance

Re: HP 250 G7 runs slow and battery charge is disabled when adapter is inserted

See attached.

Suggestion...rig the resistor based voltage divider to make the POS work properly. Ghetto-ware(tm).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mon2; 11-07-2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Just a shot Into the blue, but since it is not charging I'd check for shorted MOSFETs in the DC-IN circuit.
      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
        Just a shot Into the blue, but since it is not charging I'd check for shorted MOSFETs in the DC-IN circuit.
        Thanks for the reply, but battery charges just fine when laptop is off.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
          See attached.

Suggestion...rig the resistor based voltage divider to make the POS work properly. Ghetto-ware(tm).
          Thanks Mon2, I will give it a try to play with resistors to send a voltage up to 3V to the ADP_ID pin of the EC and see if it triggers it.
          BTW it looks you have schematics of the MB and there are other adapter related pins on EC like ADP_I I may check. Would it be possible to have schematics/boardview? Thanks

Comment

ADP_ID voltage for hp is in the range of 0.5V to 1.5V usually.

Comment

I did a few tests changing resistor values to modify ADP_ID line in several steps from 0,38V to 2,8V, but nothing changed. When the adapter is inserted the CPU clock is limited to 0,4MHz, while when running on battery it goes up to more than 3MHz.

I also tried to run on AC adapter only, disconnecting the battery, which of course caused a CMOS checksum error, but CPU clock is still limited.
              It's for sure a HW/FW problem because even the memory test run from BIOS is much slower when adapter is in.

I will try checking ADP_I , ACDET , ACOK lines, but I am running out of ideas and I am very reluctant to change the EC just for this stupid problem.

Any suggestion on possible solutions/workaround?

Comment

It sounds like the bad news that the A/D (analog to digital converter) is not working or is defective on the EC. Confirm the voltage from this ID pin with the resistor voltage dividers is reaching the target EC pin.

Other than this, does this EC feature a BIOS ? Reflash it. Then only the replacement is the next option.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                  It sounds like the bad news that the A/D (analog to digital converter) is not working or is defective on the EC. Confirm the voltage from this ID pin with the resistor voltage dividers is reaching the target EC pin.

Other than this, does this EC feature a BIOS ? Reflash it. Then only the replacement is the next option.
                  The voltage reaches the EC pin. I'm afraid you are right. I ordered an EC programmer and the EC chip and I will give it a try. Thanks

Comment

Curious on which programmer you will be purchasing. Sort of in the market as well for one.

Comment

the chip is aopm 161 or aqpm 161 i dont know > it gitting very hot >
                      what is the alternative ?

Comment

behind the coil power supply (under the ssd m.2)

Comment

Post a clear picture of the part.

Comment

thats what i did. photos
                            Attached Files

Comment

Part appears to be from MPS and your markings of 'AOP' should be used in the hunt but so far, unable to locate it.

Post the silk markings for this part on the pcb. What other parts are nearby? We may be able to locate this one by reference. The logic board is the same as this thread?
                              Last edited by mon2; 11-29-2022, 05:48 AM.

Comment

this
                                Attached Files

Comment

I still thought mosfet(dual)

Comment

but its strang

Comment

SORRY BUT I HAVE HP 250 G7 CPU I3 7TJ GEN witu ontegrated video. the motherboard working but it is slow. windows start and shutdown is slow. i change m.2 ssd with new samsung m.2 and alsou RAMs but nithing. same problem. how i can fix this problem? thanks

Comment

Post or link a schematic for this logic board if available.

The logic board will slow down and disable battery charging if the external power adapter is underrated or is detected to be using the adap_id pin.

Review the power adapter specs for this unit. First suggestion is to test with another known good power adapter.

Comment

Working...
                                        X