Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: APC UPS units - troubleshooting

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
    FC is low-ESR series, not a proper replacement AT ALL.

I noticed many times already, that guy has NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what he's talking about. BEWARE!!

Panasonic does not make standard/general purpose caps any longer.
    Damn just received them today. So I guess low-esr is low impedance?

https://hr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...wNZcEHfQ%3D%3D

How bout this one, it says general purpose, 50v?

Or this one same line, cant even see the difference.
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...HG220I/2688691
    Last edited by loopey; 10-28-2022, 01:49 AM.

Comment

NHG appears to be standard/GP, if they have some remaining stock.

See no reason to be constantly hooked to Panasonics poor capacitor offering when other major (or minor) quality japanese manufacturers do have several times broader inventory.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

NHG appears to be standard/GP, if they have some remaining stock.

See no reason to be constantly hooked to Panasonics poor capacitor offering when other major (or minor) quality japanese manufacturers do have several times broader inventory.
        That is the only recommended brand that is on conrad.com which doesnt cost an arm and leg in shipping But maybe theres some other that i didnt find.

Im out of my depth here but tried to calculate esr according to this equation.
        https://forum.digikey.com/t/calculat...-from-tan/2633

Both of those caps linked give this datasheet NHG-a.
        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...3ab98abc7a.pdf

Those low-esr FC have Tan(δ) 0.10 and this NHG has Tan(δ) 0.12.

Now if my calculations are correct the FC is about 6ohm and the NHG is 7ohm which is minimum for Standard aluminum according to wiki. Would that be enough to put 6ohm in or I need like 15 30?

edit: Hmm but NHG has it listed as "tan δ*2" does that mean its double of listed value? edit2: here its listed without *2. so confusing.
        Last edited by loopey; 10-28-2022, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Pana FC do list ESR in the datasheet, I see 1.3 ohm. Standard/GP caps usualy do not list that, but it tends to be 2-3times higher.

There is nowhere else to buy that other than those obscurely overpriced corporates? Rly?
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

There is nowhere else to buy that other than those obscurely overpriced corporates? Rly?
            Dunno it was 5eu postage for a couple of caps Did check the "Where can I buy replacement capacitors" thread and checked digi 30eu+ postage and my country "si" is not even listed in the thread. Maybe need to check postage on all those and if they send here? edit: ok its 7eu on farnell do they have anything good?

I see ur looking at Impedance*2(Ω)?

But what the hell is that equation, did I just mess it up completely or its bunk?
            Last edited by loopey; 10-28-2022, 04:54 AM.

Comment

impedance should be total figure including reactive parts of inductance and capacitance, but resistance makes absolute majority in that (cause we are still in DC, though rippled); the angle is than figure of that

wouldn't have guessed anybody would still be trying to look at that thread, not updated for over 15 years now there's quite a lot of other large resellers in Europe, though they usually still have the same obscure end pricing, especially for a few pieces

might as well check me stock, no?
              Last edited by Behemot; 10-28-2022, 05:37 AM.

Comment

might as well check me stock, no?
                Is that ur shop? If so ill shot you a mail for quote.

Guess this one looks good with a little lower esr but 10x life?
                LE (ELE-500ELL220ME11D)

Just need something thats compatible with that ups.

Comment

more like public display than shop

yeah you might experience with them LE, the real measured ESR is about half between standard and low-ESR (tiny bit closer to standard)

I know for sure there are some positions in Back-UPS ES series which do not like those (feedback), I think I've experienced only once so far with Smart-UPS and these, and it went fine, I believe, but need more long-term experience for definitive answer

even KMGs/KMQs in the ordinary 5x11 size should run for some 2 decades on average, at least, looking at how long different caps originaly lasted in that

Comment

even KMGs/KMQs in the ordinary 5x11 size should run for some 2 decades on average, at least, looking at how long different caps originaly lasted in that
                    How can you see if there is feedback?

The only other option on display is this one but 63v? and the original is maybe 16v?
                    KMG (EKMG630ELL220ME11D)

btw this farnell seems to have something with tax and can only send from uk so there is probably customs

Comment

see no reason in stocking small voltages if single covers it all in the same size, besides, they often don't even make those capacitances in lower than 50 V or so

Chemi-Con also does not like standards for some time now, they were trying to phase that out, and now they announced end of production of everything SMALLER-THAN 10mm diameter, last orders 2023/4

gonna be a challenge to stock everything to last till 2026 or so, and than slowly start replacing it with other japanese brands (unless they do the same, which many will do for sure, they all push that automotive, high temp and hybrid crap )

Comment

Sounds bad and many companies being anti-repair :\

see no reason in stocking small voltages if single covers it all in the same size, besides, they often don't even make those capacitances in lower than 50 V or so
                        63v 22uF should be ok?

What if I tried LE first to see if there is any feedback and how do you detect feedback, can it damage equipment connected to ups?

Comment

U'R welcome to check the board and draw schematics

Comment

I have used automotive type rated capacitors in switching power supply and have not had any issues with doing this that is not to say that I might have an issue with some switching power supply but I have not yet run into this issue yet
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Result: SUA1500I still works, tested dod 100%

Original caps: 5x lelon sea85 h927(m) 22uF 25v replaced with pana nhg.

Was a pia to get some joints pumped clear. Not pretty.
                              Attached Files

Comment

come again?

Comment

Yes I came again to post result of changing caps?

Comment

?

Comment

Well its hard to answer if you dont say what you are confused about? Did i break rules or something?

edit: Thought it would be nice to post a followup since u guys helped me here.
                                      Last edited by loopey; 11-06-2022, 07:22 AM.

Comment

don't understand no pumping stuff, is that some sexual practice?

Comment

Hi all,

Ended up here jumping links when trying to fix. My APC UPS Rs1000...

I was wondering if you would be so kind to check images of my main board to see if you spot anything "fatted" or "burned down", as I couldn't find anything weird on this unit, which aside from having been stored for a few years, I performed a battery replacement in order to bring it back to life but all I can get is power from the batteries, not from the AC/wall.

Already checked AC in up to the main board and fuses seem to be in good shape, so I'm a bit lost right now. All I can see posted here and there is about capacitors being replaced...

Is there a way to test capacitors with a multimeter and not dying in the try? 😂

Here are the pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cwszg48qd...Xaxu_FPKa?dl=0

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X