X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio M65 C-1 power supply dead - NO standby voltage

Originally posted by funkmunk3y View Post
    Yes, DCV - I was measuring across from solder joint to solder joint
    So you are measuring ACROSS the resistor. this is not how to check this voltage. You must place the negative lead of your meter on hot ground, You can use the heatsink of DB9101 (HS9901) as hot ground, then check the voltage on J958 (jumper under ATTENTION: LIVE PARTS)

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      Is this Dc voltage? what are you using for ground?
      Check the resistance between J934 (this is one end of R9139) and C9109 + and then to R9113
      resistance between J934 (this is one end of R9139) and C9109 + = 9.2 ohms

resistance between J934 and R9113 = 9.2 ohms

Comment

So you are measuring ACROSS the resistor. this is not how to check this voltage. You must place the negative lead of your meter on hot ground, You can use the heatsink of DB9101 (HS9901) as hot ground, then check the voltage on J958 (jumper under ATTENTION: LIVE PARTS)
        Got it, thank you.

J958 is straight left of hs9901 - not below ATTENTION: LIVE PARTS - reads 0.00

Comment

Got it, thank you.

J958 is straight left of hs9901 - not below ATTENTION: LIVE PARTS - reads 0.00
          Turn the board so you can read ATTENTION: LIVE PARTS and J958 is below LIVE PARTS. (Top View) I point it out because sometimes people can't locate the jumper wires.

If you have 0 volts on J958, then check the voltage on R9137 (the end connected to L9903) You should read some dc voltage between Hot ground and R9137
          Attached Files
          Last edited by R_J; 11-30-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Turn the board so you can read ATTENTION: LIVE PARTS and J958 is below LIVE PARTS.
            If you have 0 volts on J958, then check the voltage on R9137 (the end connected to L9903)
            LOL - I was looking at the back - you are on the front -oops.

R9137 = 55.6 DCV

Comment

LOL - I was looking at the back - you are on the front -oops.

R9137 = 55.6 DCV
              ok, check at the next resistor in the string, R9138, then R9139, this voltage should be around 15vdc at R9139, this is the vcc start voltage for the ic9101. The voltage should drop after each resistor
              Last edited by R_J; 11-30-2020, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Turn the board so you can read ATTENTION: LIVE PARTS and J958 is below LIVE PARTS. (Top View) I point it out because sometimes people can't locate the jumper wires.

If you have 0 volts on J958, then check the voltage on R9137 (the end connected to L9903) You should read some dc voltage between Hot ground and R9137
                That board looks a little different maybe.... I posted pics of mine in this thread... I could be wrong though. I did find a suitable ground & J958 anyway so I think we're good.

Comment

R9138 = 33.5

r9139 = 18.4

Comment

The board should be the same, If you have 18.4v on R9139, then you should have it on J934, J952, J958, C9109+ and R9113
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by R_J; 11-30-2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

j934 = 00.0
                      j952 = 164.1
                      j958 = 00.0
                      c9109 = 00.0
                      r9113 = 00.0

all measured with hs9901 as ground

Comment

Apologies - I wasn't measuring both sides just the right sides - R9139 goes from 18v to 0v - I think it's bad.

Comment

Your meter probes can't be getting a good connection, there is no way you can have 164v on J952 and 0 on J934. Look at the board, J952 connects to J934 and J934 connects to R9139 which you said had 18.4v ???
                          Resolder all those jumper wires, maybe that's where the problem is.

Comment

Apologies - I wasn't measuring both sides just the right sides - R9139 goes from 18v to 0v - I think it's bad.
                            Then how do you explain 164v on J952? If R9139 was open then one side would measure higher than 18v. I suspect you could have a short between J934 and hot ground?

Comment

I can't explain anything, that's why I'm here - lol.

How do I check for short? There is nothing obvious - no blended solder joints or touching wires...

Thanks for all your help so far.

Comment

I drew out the path on YOUR board, If you take a piece of wire and measure 0 volts on each end and 164 volts in the middle, where would that voltage come from? it can't be there so something was measured wrong. use your meter to check for a short circuit that's what it is for.
                                Check the resistance between the legs of C9109.
                                j952 = 164.1
                                are you sure this was VOLTS or MILIVOLTS? Maybe try a new battery in your meter.

If you look back over the posts you give different voltages for the same point, I can't help if I get wrong information. You need to look at the schematic so you can understand the circuit.

Also if you measured the voltage correctly, you can see the voltage readings drop from one resistor to the next, this is correct and also indicates there is a current flow through the string of resistors. But you need to provide the voltage on each end of the resistor otherwise I don't know where the voltage was taken
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by R_J; 12-01-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Hi RJ - sorry, snow storm & lost power and internet for a few days. In the meantime I got a new auto sensing multimeter. I will go back over the previous instruction plus what you just provided & will let you know where I'm at.
                                  Thanks again,
                                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                                  X