Bugged me for quite a lot of time, now I know why - Gigabyte H55M-S2V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugged me for quite a lot of time, now I know why - Gigabyte H55M-S2V

As the title says, this little board has been bugging me for around a whole year.

First off, its original issue was two burnt MOSFETs due to a design flaw GB made. Here's the original link I found out about these two FETs from:

https://fubar.gr/successful-gigabyte...rboard-repair/

Following that, this was of course the first attempt:

I also got some scolding from stj for it

Originally posted by stj View Post
    dont blame the chinese fab-house for your lack of equipment - that resoldering job is terrible!!
    and get that loose bit of solder off there before it falls onto a motherboard and shorts something!!

that's why you use flux cleaner afterwards.....
    (small note: that was plain rosin core, I didn't start working with flux up until this year - as for the iron used, I had to make do with whatever I had - old story as I've touched them up a little bit a few months after I took the picture)

Anyways, the board started POSTing just perfect...except it wouldn't turn off or reset normally.

I've looked up and down for fixes - some people suggested resetting CMOS, some suggested flashing the BIOS (which is almost the winner, close but no cigar) and some even suggested replacing the CPU (which wasn't even bad, and I plan on dropping a i5 650 in place of that i3, if the board can take it...)

And just today, I dug up two Core i3/5/7 boards I've had around. One is a ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev3.1 - that one is much more complicated to fix - I'll look deeper into that hopefully - and the other is pretty much this H55M-S2V. I remember replacing the ghetto adapted LGA775 HSF with a ID-Cooling 1156/1155/1150 cooler I had bought for the former ASUS board, and ultimately swapping it onto this after I got fed up with the ASUS's

I figured I'd give it another shot at a repair. I googled my issue and came across one Win-RAID post that pointed the problem to the Intel ME chip - something I wouldn't have thought in a million of years, honestly.

I've checked the post, and prepped my test bench - the culprit board, to which I attached a 160GB WD Scorpio from an Acer 5920G I upgraded, a ASUS Radeon HD4850 512MB, and a HKC SZ-430PDR 430W PSU (decent quality, not the best but not gutless wonder either), as well as the tools I needed to use - Intel ME System Tools (v6 IBX r2 in my case, each version is for a certain chipset) and a fixed ME dump provided in the thread. I followed each step (basically dumped my original ME for archiving reasons, told the Firmware Flash Tool to write the fixed ME ROM file to my chip, and do a total restart - this meant a deep shutdown (similar to yanking out the AC cable) and powered itself back up.)

And the result... is a complete success! Board now works normally - I can restart and power off normally!

So, maybe as a lesson - if you have a GB board that takes too much to restart (this one took a FULL 1 MINUTE to restart or properly shut down), do take a look into the Intel ME. It could save you lots of headaches.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case
Working...
X