X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Types of IC Mounting

Draft as of now. Will be improved.

SOIC
    Stands for Small Outline Integrated Circuit. Looks like a DIP, but way smaller and surface mount. Used in tight spaces.

QFP
    Stands for Quad Flat Pack. It's a large chip with legs on all four sides and SMT.

DIP
    Stands for Dual Inline Package. This type of mounting has been around since the 1970s. Thru-hole.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris1992; 10-09-2005, 01:37 PM.
    The great capacitor showdown!

Re: Different Types of IC Mounting

Your SMT devices are both "J-lead", i.e. the leads bend outward. Gull-wing (IIRC) leads bend inward, under the device. SOIC packages are often identified by the number of pins, e.g. SO-8, SO-14, or SO-16. I've seen some power MOSFETs in SO-8 packages.

There also are BGA, "Ball Grid Array", parts, which have an array of little balls of solder on the bottom; you have similar little solder balls on the PBC, and the solder is reflowed for installation.

On the small side, you may find reference ICs in SOT-23 packages, and op-amps or comparators in SOT-23-5 (5-pin) packages.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Can I use my (Chrismas present) cold soldering tool on these? LOL

I actually got 3 of them as gifts.
      They'r good for "regifting". LOL
      Jim

Comment

Pete, I would appreciate pics and thanks for the help. I knew about BGA but did not have a pic.
        The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Working...
        X