Long range free wifi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Long range free wifi

Id share my 1GB fiber that cost me $50 a month with you if you were closer. ��

Comment

just needs a bigger dish!!

Comment

The bigger the dish , the more signal gain . I get 10 gigs of hot spot wifi with my phone . On the libary they want all your personal info , just not a good idea dl torrents . I could join a fitness place . Carry a lap top in a work out bag . Planet fitness is not that fast , LA fitness wont let you on with out being a member , so I dont know . On filters , yes a lot of places do . As I said before lowes cut off torrents when I told the guy that cleans the parking lot why I was setting in the parking lot for a long time . Pep boys oppening web page goes like this , you can use our free wifi to check other web sites or e mail , but you will not be allowed to down load large files , or close to that .

Comment

Originally posted by desert-rat View Post
          On the libary they want all your personal info , just not a good idea dl torrents .
          Here, you need a "library card" (which requires proof of residency, etc.) or a "one-time" pass (which requires a stop at the circulation desk to have the librarian give you one, "no questions asked"). But, this only applies if you want to sit down and use one of the computers provided by the library, itself.

Bring your own laptop and all you need is the passphrase -- which is posted on the window of the library so you can conveniently read it if you would prefer to sit outside on one of the benches (or in your parked vehicle) and access the network.

Unless you only use that device (laptop, phone, tablet, etc.) for torrents AND NOTHING ELSE, the lack of "personal information" doesn't protect you. Most providers will track MACs so when yours appears somewhere else, they can recognize "you".

Likewise, most browsers are easily fingerprinted. I.e., the less generic you have configured your browser, the more unique it's fingerprint and the more easily "you" can be identified from WWW accesses https://panopticlick.eff.org/browser-uniqueness.pdf Coupled with knowledge of the IP range being used and you can be reasonably sure that folks can map ALL of your activity on that particular device (visit a forum? check email? buy online? banking? etc.)

You can even fingerprint the OS being used just by analyzing its network traffic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP...fingerprinting

The only way to truly protect yourself from being caught doing something nefarious is to simply not do it!

[N.B. not all torrent traffic is "dubious". There are many "legitimate objects" distributed via that protocol (including your W10 updates).]

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
            Id share my 1GB fiber that cost me $50 a month with you if you were closer. ��
            $50 CDN/month gets me 5 (five) Mbps.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              $50 CDN/month gets me 5 (five) Mbps.
              When I designed the network infrastructure for the house, I spent a fair bit of time talking with colleagues about real bandwidth needs. We concluded that an average bandwidth of 10Mb for any single link would be sufficient (video streaming). Peak bandwidth requirements can be higher as they affect perceived latencies (short, bursty transfers that you're waiting for to complete).

So, we settled on 100Mb fabric for "distribution" and Gbe between servers. It's easy to colocate servers so you can localize those requirements relatively easily.

At 100Mb, the media tank is almost stressed: worst case, it has to push 4 different video streams out (to 4 different consumers) and suck down 4 other streams (from 4 different producers).. This just about hits the 100Mb limit for the single drop feeding the media tank from the fabric.

As a colleague has been so quick to note: the only real use for bandwidth is "Entertainment".

[I was very content using dialup for surfing (no images!) and email decades ago. I don't need to see an email wisked away the instant I hit "send" -- as long as I know that it will get sent, eventually. When I look at how much desired content I get nowadays, I find much of it is wasted on ads, images and videos that I'm not going to bother watching. OTOH, I now have to be extra vigilant to be sure something hasn't snuck in and pulled a fair bit of data off my machine without my noticing it due to the fatter pipe! (if someone starts hacking you on a slow link, you can see the effects!)]

Comment

have one of those yagi

good for 20euros. but u must use good client

Comment

I did this for years, the local Yacht club provides free wireless access for its members and is about mile away from me. I used either a high gain Yagi or dish depending upon what the conditions were at the time, I had the wireless access units mounted up a twenty meter pole and run POE and thus had very good efficiency. I got good connection speeds for the time and the network over the years was upgraded a few times.

In the end it was not so much that the service became unavailable its still there and I could probably hop back on it with little problem, however with the ubiquitous spread of very fast cheap fibre broadband my needs simply outgrew speed.

Comment

Originally posted by desert-rat View Post
                    The sat. antennas are used around 12 ghz . , but I dont think that stops them from working as 2.4 ghz .
                    https://www.lyngsat.com/EchoStar-14.html
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_band
                    That is correct. There is a Ham Radio magazine called QST and there was a write up on using an old small DTV dish on long range WiFi, but I can't remember the issue anymore.
                    Here is a high gain 2400Mhz home built one from QEX.
                    https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...419e908114.pdf

Comment

get an old 3m segmented C-band or S-band dish - grab some waves!!!

Comment

I just gave away my 12 foot C-band dish cuz I couldn't make it put any good wifi, like the Xfinity hot spots from one mile away. The I tried a solid Dish Network on a 12 foot pole.....using a USB wifi adapter at the focal point and found nothing impressive. I live in a masterplanned community, lots of trees and houses, so my next was to put on the roof, but I lost interest. My sole purpose was to have backup from the neighbors Xfinity hotspot since I am a Comcast customer. I just don't have the energy for this anymore.....I think the big cities will have free mesh wifi in most in the next decade, sides that 5G is almost here, 1000x faster than 4G..... I'll be dead soon anyway....��

Comment

some interesting sharing...
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG-AZz_nm5E

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            parabolic will for sure, i'v seen a guy in india do 40miles with one!!!

you need the right kit with it though, something like a tplink 5110.
                            Are you talking about TL-WA5110G? No doubt it is designed for High Power to boost signal coverage but I think its range is only 31 miles.

Comment

that was what he used, but with a parabolic.

Comment

Working...
                              X