XBOX Original - Won't power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBOX Original - Won't power on

Hello, I am a big fan of the original XBOX and I decided to buy (another) one. Taking it home and plugging it in, I discovered that it didn't even turn on. I searched through the internet and I read a lot of people saying it's most likely a power supply issue, so I decided to look myself. I also have another original XBOX that works fine with the same power cords, so it's not a cable issue.

So then I opened up both XBOX's. The one that works looks fine, the PSU is a DELTA brand and it shows no signs of wear on top or underneath. Everything on the motherboard looks fine as well.

But then I opened the XBOX that just simply doesn't turn on, and I immediately noticed something out of the ordinary. The capacitors were bulging, sticking out, and a few of them have some residue at the top. This was something I noticed right away as the XBOX that works looked very clean, yet this one has capacitors that look dysfunctional.

Here are pics of the capacitors on the motherboard for the XBOX that works:

Now here is the broken XBOX's motherboard:

As you can see, there is something very different going on with the broken XBOX. These capacitors say on the side: 3300uF 6.3V --- The brand name is nichicon.

So what do I do now? Desolder and remove these bad capacitors and replace them with new ones? I checked the motherboard and nothing else looks wrong. I know capacitors are readily available and I hope replacing them with the one's in the broken box will make it work again.

Either way I need to learn to solder, and I have no problem with that. I would rather fix it myself then have someone do it for me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 08-20-2016, 08:56 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded

Re: XBOX Original - Won't power on

Yes, you'll definitely have to replace all of those bulging and/or leaking capacitors. They have failed.

This could prevent the unit from turning on. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if anything else has been damaged, without first replacing the caps.

Comment

Yeah you really should replace those.

As shovenose said, it is hard to tell if they are causing the failure, however quite often this is the case.

Don't replace them with capacitors from the local electronics store, they are likely going to be cheap ones which aren't "low-esr".

Nichicon does make good capacitors however, they did have a batch of bad ones.

These should do the trick!
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

I prefer not to buy the caps from these online stores because shipping is quite a rip off, so I will be looking on Ebay.

I believe these will work:
        http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-x-PANASONIC...eaf6994&_uhb=1
        http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-Rubycon-MBZ...b9532c5&_uhb=1

Comment

Originally posted by BEEKAY22 View Post
          Thanks for the reply guys.

I prefer not to buy the caps from these online stores because shipping is quite a rip off, so I will be looking on Ebay.

Please, anything BUT eBay!

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post

Please, anything BUT eBay!
            Haha what's wrong with that, fake capacitors? I'd buy them off a reputable Ebay seller!

Comment

Originally posted by BEEKAY22 View Post
              Haha what's wrong with that, fake capacitors? I'd buy them off a reputable Ebay seller!
              Well, good luck with that...

Comment

get these.
                https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=142
                ebay is a minefield of crap when it comes to caps and batteries.

Comment

BCN might carry $6.00 shipping but if you buy the fake craps on eBay then they fail again in two months, you will not only have to buy new capacitors again, but waste all the time to do it all over again.

So buying from badcaps.net online store or another reputable company will end up being cheaper in the long run.

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys, I very much appreciate your point of views. And yeah, I won't buy the caps from Ebay, it's too risky.

I will definitely buy them from the BC webstore, the price and shipping is reasonable so I'll just go with that. Before doing any of this, I'll first get used to soldering and desoldering on a spare broken XBOX motherboard and get the hang of it.

Comment

Hello there,

I just wanted to register to mention that this is also a great time to check out the aerogel-containing supercapacitor. On the Xboxes I've seen, this is located at the bottom-left hand of the board (a ways to the left of the power supply connector). This has been covered at the forum already, but just to reiterate: You can (and should) remove this on any Xbox you see. Only version 1.6 models (made in roughly 2004) you will need to have a replacement ready; on older models, you can simply desolder it and not have to worry any longer.

Another fun and cheap tip - replace that 40-wire IDE cable with an 80-wire to slightly boost internal data transfers.

Comment

Question - my Xbox (V1.1 model) doesn't keep time when unplugged. Never has done. Should I check this capacitor?

Comment

Yes, that's a good sign that cap is dead.

(For the quick explanation of what's happening: Microsoft was too cheap to install dedicated low-power real-time clock chips, so they had to keep another chip powered for up to weeks at a time - coin batteries wouldn't have provided enough power, and aren't rechargeable. Unfortunately, aerogel caps don't do that well with the high temperatures inside the Xbox.)

It's easy enough to get in there; all you need are some Torx bits and the ability to pry back the outward-facing sides of the rubber feet on the console slightly. Doing this will leave a slight film, which the Torx punches through easily. You don't need to remove the feet completely. Once inside, things should be pretty obvious. Don't forget your Isopropyl Alcohol to wipe off any residue from capacitor leakage.
                          Last edited by Ed Herdman; 04-06-2014, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Herdman View Post

(For the quick explanation of what's happening: Microsoft was too cheap to install dedicated low-power real-time clock chips, so they had to keep another chip powered for up to weeks at a time - coin batteries wouldn't have provided enough power, and aren't rechargeable. Unfortunately, aerogel caps don't do that well with the high temperatures inside the Xbox.)

It's easy enough to get in there; all you need are some Torx bits and the ability to pry back the outward-facing sides of the rubber feet on the console slightly. Doing this will leave a slight film, which the Torx punches through easily. You don't need to remove the feet completely. Once inside, things should be pretty obvious. Don't forget your Isopropyl Alcohol to wipe off any residue from capacitor leakage.
                            Yeah both of my XBOX's are the 1.6 version, and I read a lot through out the internet about the leaky clock capacitor.

Now that you mention it, I'll probably replace the clock caps in my 1.6 XBOX's as well as soon as I get my soldering tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Herdman View Post

I had it chipped when I got it so the screws are already visible. I'll get on this tomorrow, if I get the time.

Comment

Beekay, how did it go?
                                My xbox had the exact same capacitors fail. I have replaced then but it hasn't made a difference.

Comment

replace the clock cap in 1.6 with something like a 220uf 6.3v or anything else laying around.

the clock cap is pointless and never really worked, but the 1.6 needs some type of cap or it wont boot.
                                  the older boxes dont need any cap.

Comment

Just registered to say that I had the same problem. Replace all 5 bulging caps from BC and everything is up and running again. Thanks guys!

Comment

I have the exact same problem.
                                      What are the best capacitors to put instead of the defected ones?
                                      Should I just put another 3300uF 6.3v capacitors or are higher voltage capacitors better?

Also, are Capacitance and Voltage the only things that matter? Does ripple current matter? If so, lower is better, right?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tudrojopsi View Post
                                        I have the exact same problem.
                                        What are the best capacitors to put instead of the defected ones?
                                        Should I just put another 3300uF 6.3v capacitors or are higher voltage capacitors better?

Also, are Capacitance and Voltage the only things that matter? Does ripple current matter? If so, lower is better, right?

Thanks!
                                        Higher ripple current is better, and lower ESR is also better in this case. You would ideally keep the capacitance and voltage ratings the same. These would work fine as replacements.

Comment

Working...
                                        X