Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coil whine on old PWS-865-PQ (Supermicro 865W PSU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil whine on old PWS-865-PQ (Supermicro 865W PSU)

I've an old dual x5690 system (repurposed from a 4U EEATX server chassis) that's powered by a Supermicro PWS-865-PQ 865W PSU.

I've no idea precisely how old this PSU is, but given that the x5690 is from 2011 it seems likely to be nearing 10 years old.
    As the machine was probably used as a server, it's likely to have been in operation 24/7/365.

Under normal operation the PSU appears to operate perfectly normally, however when the machine is in standby mode it emits a fairly loud coil whine.

Before I contemplate the expense of replacing it with a comparable unit, I'd like to know what risks I'm running; is coil whine from a PSU that's in standby mode a 'bad sign' ?

Are high-end PSUs like this one designed to better protect system components in the event of a failure?
    I'm most concerned with the motherboard, as if that were damaged the machine would be essentially scrap, as replacement wouldn't be cost effective.
    Last edited by TJJ; 10-27-2020, 11:24 AM.

Re: Coil whine on old PWS-865-PQ (Supermicro 865W PSU)

I have several of this model that do this in standby...for years....it apparently just what they do....they've always been solid.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by TJJ View Post
      Under normal operation the PSU appears to operate perfectly normally, however when the machine is in standby mode it emits a fairly loud coil whine.
      Reminds me of my Asus A7V8X-X (2003) motherboard. It would start squealing, especially in DOS and similar, LOL. (Via KT400) (socket 462)
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
        I guess I'll stick with it as-is!

Comment

Coil whine is normal in some PSUs.

But before you conclude anything, maybe just crack its cover and check for badcaps anyways. Being a Supermicro PSU, I expect it's probably going to be something pretty high-end inside and not with crap caps... but just to be 100% confident, give it a check (and maybe even post pictures if you like. )

That said, I do have a number of PSUs that emit loud coil whine in standby as well. The worst, though, is a Westinghouse LCD monitor I repaired a few months ago. That one has very annoying coil while. It took me almost a week to get used to it. The first few days, I'd even unplug the monitor at night before going to bed, because it was that bothersome. Once I got used to it a little (and once the new caps "broke in" a little after using the monitor for a few hot months in the summer), it didn't bother me as much anymore. It's been working great otherwise.

Comment

If the coil isn't too hot under load (and it shouldn't be), hot glue it. This mutes the whine.

Comment

Working...
            X