Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Dragon HBM VEGA 56 (Triple FAN) - Blown ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Dragon HBM VEGA 56 (Triple FAN) - Blown ?

Hello.

I have received a GPU for 50GBP . As non-tested. I cleaned it before testing, i plugged it in , and i heard a "PUFF" sound. I saw a capacitor was blown .
    So i had measured the next to it, to find the "colprit" .

I have ordered 3x SMD 150 with 16volts SMD.
    C547 & C558 was blown.

I replaced them .

I plugged it in , and now again it has blown the C547 (C548 is fine) .
    But the C547 ,melted.
    As you will see in the picture like hirosima nagasaki.

Do we have any ,way of seeing what is the "problem" or even if i have used the correct capacitors ,maybe i did a mistake ?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Red Dragon HBM VEGA 56 (Triple FAN) - Blown ?

You installed the capacitor backwards, it is different from the other two, see picture
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      You installed the capacitor backwards, it is different from the other two, see picture
      I was almost sure that all the capacitors were facing the same way.
      But, you are right in the picture that you showed me.
      I have 1 replacement left,i will try today and change it the right polarity.
      And crossing my fingers because for those x3 capacitors i waited almost 1 month.Due to the "rarity".

Comment

We got a post!
        We finally got a post, i reversed the capacitor that i had, and is working now.
        Tonight i will test it in gaming and hope for the best.

Comment

Yes ,we have 2 hours of FuMark stress test,and gaming like 4-5 hours ,and nothing occured.

Really happy now.

The capacitors is the main fault guy , it's common in this series , as i have found .

Comment

Originally posted by AccountSaver View Post
            Yes ,we have 2 hours of FuMark stress test,and gaming like 4-5 hours ,and nothing occured.

Really happy now.
            I wished I got a used video card like that and a successful repair!
            Because, there's another new video card crisis!

Newegg is terrible with the video card stock at the time of this post!

But, Newegg still apparently had an XFX GTS Black Radeon RX580, the highest factory-clocked Radeon RX580 that I know of, with the GPU core boost at 1405 Mhz, IIRC. Honestly looks like we possibly are better off Crossfiring Radeon RX580s!

And the caps just blowing like that?! Is this another Sacon FZ-like "capmageddon"?! What you said, sounds like the GeForce 7-series cap plague!
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
              I wished I got a used video card like that and a successful repair!
              Because, there's another new video card crisis!

Newegg is terrible with the video card stock at the time of this post!

But, Newegg still apparently had an XFX GTS Black Radeon RX580, the highest factory-clocked Radeon RX580 that I know of, with the GPU core boost at 1405 Mhz, IIRC. Honestly looks like we possibly are better off Crossfiring Radeon RX580s!

And the caps just blowing like that?! Is this another Sacon FZ-like "capmageddon"?! What you said, sounds like the GeForce 7-series cap plague!
              Don't know to tell you the truth , the situation that occured in my hands was really strange because my PSU runs on a UPS with electrical controller so the electricity running through is clean as hell ,plus the PSU is high end, so to result into a blown capacitor in my hands, must be due to manufacturer fault.

But the good stuff is that still runs like hell, is really close to GTX 1070 ,so not going to need more in my 144hz 1920x1080 screen,playing only Warzone. It's more than enough running on high all at 100fps stable.

Comment

@RJARRRPCGP
                Yeah I'm also looking to buy a video card, RTX 3070 (or even second hand RTX 2070 Super) but the prices are stupid right now.

I've come to the decision that now is definitely NOT a good time to buy a new or used GPU (though a lot of people seem to think exactly the opposite) I'll keep my eye on prices but I think I would be much better holding off until mid April 2021 - which just happens to be my birthday
                Last edited by dicky96; 12-18-2020, 09:01 AM.
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Working...
                X