Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2005FPW Flickering - Seeking Tech Advice

Greetings All,

My Dell 2005FPW display is getting to the point where it's unusable. Back panel is off. I can solder, but not good at troubleshooting. Hoping to get some tech help.

The display itself does this thing where it will flickers on and off, sometimes it manages to stay on, other times it gives up and dies. Sometimes it will flicker on and off for 10 or 20 minutes and I manually pull the power cord out of sheer annoyance.

A little bit of searching and my uneducated guess says that it's the capacitors. This monitor has a great picture but from what I've read it uses cheap caps. I guess that's about it. Any questions ask away.

Thanks!

Re: Dell 2005FPW Flickering - Seeking Tech Advice

Caps are on the other side of the green board. Flickering sounds like it could be the ccfl tubes or the wiring to them though.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      Caps are on the other side of the green board. Flickering sounds like it could be the ccfl tubes or the wiring to them though.
      The ccfl tubes are on the actual display not the circuit boards correct? Are those fixable at all?

Comment

Found out ccfl tubes are replaceable but is there way to test to verify they're bad before I disassemble? On a side note- I did mention the display flickering...but I don't know if that's how to accurately describe the problem.

I would say that a more accurate description is it repeatedly turns on and off- like it wants to turn on but can't- I never actually see a picture on the display, but I know that it's trying to turn on because the LED's also go on/off. Sorry if that's confusing.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...er+testing+cfl

Comment

Thanks, will look into that.

Comment

Okay, I was going to try this out but I don't have spare connectors, but thanks for sharing anyway.

Comment

You can just solder the wires to the connector pins on the bottom side of the board., this panel uses six lamps so it is going to be easy job.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Okay, just so I'm clear, there's four different connectors on the backside (two are long and two are short), should I solder the cfl to each connector until I find the one that's bad?

Last edited by w201; 06-09-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I assume there are 6 lamps, 1 on each transformer, but it looks like the long plugs have 2 pairs of pins, one pair looks like it's two outputs for 2 lamps, and the other pair the return wires for them, while the short plugs have 2 pins, a supply and return wire for 1 lamp each.

Show a photo of the underside of the board by those connectors so we can see what they connect to.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi Agent24,

I'm way over my head here, so thank you for helping out! Here's the picture you requested.

Comment

Yes it looks like the wider connectors are doubling up to replace two of the smaller connectors each. That makes it a bit trickier but you can temp solder leads to the solder pads on the underside for testing if it comes to that.

Comment

Got it. Okay here's two more questions; I hacked open one 14W CFL. Do I need to hack open three more for a total of four bulbs so they're all connected at the same time? And would you be able to tell me which leads I should solder based on the nubmers that are on the board?

Comment

I would try first to run with all CFL lamps and see if there is a problem. If there is no problem, try swapping out one CFL for one panel lamp one at a time, and see if the problem comes back.

You could also swap one panel lamp for one CFL but that will show false results if more than one panel lamp is bad at the same time.

Run with as many CFLs as you can to start with, more chance of catching bad panel lamps if there are any.
                            Last edited by Agent24; 06-12-2015, 03:54 PM.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi Agent24- sounds good. I'll have to try this after I hack open more cfls. Still unclear though about which leads I should solder to the long adapters as they have four prongs each. Unless I'm mstaken and you're saying the long adapters take 2 CFLs. I guess that would make sense if the display uses 6 lamps.
                              Last edited by w201; 06-13-2015, 08:36 AM.

Comment

From what I can see, the lamp wiring is as I have marked on the photo. Red for lamp output from transformer, and blue for lamp return wire.

You can also look at the lamp plugs when plugged into the inverter - thick wires are outputs from inverter, thin wires are returns.
                                Attached Files
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

incase you had not noticed, the board is printed to also handle 6 seperate connectors - one for each tube.
                                  so just solder onto the pads for each un-fitted connector.

Comment

Perfect! Thank you both. And I appreciate the diagram, Agent24. That will help out a great deal! Will post results when I get around to trying this out!

Comment

Working...
                                    X