Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG Flatron

Hi badcaps community

Hope im not breaking any rules here, the thing is i got an LG Flatron 22" and it has the "2 sec to black" dissease, differing only that image doesnt appear even with flashlight or sun light.

I have tested the fuse, diodes, still havnt tested the caps and other components but i detected something strange and tought of asking you guys for a little help, the thing is that when i turn on the Display, i hear a buzzing in what i think its the transfomer part of the board, where the ccfl conect, so i ask of you what i should do in a situation like this, i mean i dont know how to test that component and i surely dont know what its name, its a square like thing.

Could some caps be the source of the buzzing?

I dont have any spare ccfl how can i test if it isnt the ccfl?

thank you in advance,

And sorry for my bad english

Re: LG Flatron

First. welcome to Badcaps!
    Second, your English is fine.
    Third, we'll need a model number, and some pictures of the insides of the monitor will help

Do you have a multimeter?
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Welcome to the forum-
      We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back (in the same orientation) and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say what the supposed fault was and a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi,

ty for the quick response and the welcome greetings, i am at work rigth now and therefore can only send pictures of the board later, i used to have a good multimeter but my tool case was stolen and know what i have is those very basic multimeters, it cant measure caps doesnt have the Faraday option, can olny test them using the ohmimeter, but it isnt working why i dunno, maybe im doing something wrong.

As for the Display model it is the LG Flatron w2246s - BFW.AEUODPN

the component where i think the buzzing is comming is:

IT-007
        EBJ55945505
        DD 1023

Thank you mate for the time reading my post, it is most apreciated

Regards

Comment

I just looked at my repair log. I have repaired 10 LG monitors, haven't seen that particular model. The buzzing may not necessarily be caused the component that is buzzing, it may be caused by something else.
          I would definitely check/replace the capacitors, especially if they're known problem ones like Samxon GF. And definitely check the solder joints, particularly around the transformers.
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Hi,

Thks for the response, i will run this tests when i get home, aswell take care of the pictures to send you guys.

just one quick question, what values do i set to measure the caps on the multimeter, and what do i expect? can i test them "in circuit" or i need to desesemble them?

as for the cold joints, i resoldered what it seem to me a potential cold joint, altough the solder i used was of bad quality and things got bit dirty, youl see what i mean when i send you the photos.

thank you for all the help

regards

Comment

To be honest, I don't think you can do much if any useful testing of the caps with the equipment you have, as you'd need to be able to measure the capacitance, and the ESR.

We'll know a bit more when you get the photos, then we can get you to measure a few voltages etc.

Comment

Hi,

i could only post the photos today, hope there will be of any use, if you need anything more just ask.

the photos are very low quality but is the best i can manage, only have camera on phone. so sry.

Think if i replace all capacitors i will solve the problem? what about those ceramic caps i cant get them where i live. do i need to replace them too?

best regards

Andre Macedo
                Attached Files

Comment

OK - Pics have too much flash - need good light but not flash.
                  I have not seen this board before either .
                  You cannot test the capacitors properly with a multimeter.

Basic tests - with it all connected up and power to the set but switched off
                  Meter on 600 vDC CAREFULLY measure across the Legs on the BIG CAP.

Switch the power on then do the test again.

Next meter on VDC 200 list the voltages you get on the connector that goes from the power supply to the main board along with what it says they should be.
                  Example

PIN 1 12v 11.25v
                  PIN2 gnd 0.00
                  PIN3 pson 3.37v
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Hi,

Here are more pics without flash as you said, il try replace all the capacitors, from you experience you dnt think its the transformer right, im talking about the square where the ccfls conect, the photo nº 99.

By measuaring the capacitators what values i should expect? or i need only to see if they are charging and discharging?

thank you

regards
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am just a hobbyist so I dont bother testing caps - if I am fixing something I usually just replace all except Big ones. You can find some tests on line or possibly even on here, but I dont think they prove much.

I thought about the Inverter transformer and even got a picture ready but unless we can find data for it we dont know if the test is good or bad.
                      Usually there are two transformers to compare.

Anyway you can still test the secondary - Power to board off set you meter on ohms 2000 and measure S1 to S2 in the pic ( Do NOT try to measure the voltage on these pins)

Do you have any spare bulbs - old monitor or laptop. if not can you make a test bulb?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ght=test+lamps

Pictures are a lot better - thanks

Are you doing the voltage tests? - before you replace caps
                      then any improvement can be seen
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by selldoor; 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                        I am just a hobbyist so I dont bother testing caps - if I am fixing something I usually just replace all except Big ones.
                        I agree, even though I have the gear to test 'em. That goes against my normal methods, where I want to find the exact cause, and not "shotgun" a problem, but with monitors, I almost always recap.

I've seen so many obviously failed caps, if the monitor has the same crap brand (Samxon GF etc) I'll replace them all.
                        Sometimes I'll measure them, and I'm often stunned at just how bad they are.
                        The only thing that really ticks me off is recapping a monitor only to find it now works, but has an irreperable problem like a cracked screen that I didn't notice, or unavailable transformers. I'll keep the boards and recycle the rest in those rare cases.

Comment

Hi guys

ty for all the info, il try if a full recap will solve the problem, and then post the results, just one more quick question when testing the transformer what results should i expect.

Sry for all the stupid questions.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Macedopt View Post
                            Hi guys

ty for all the info, il try if a full recap will solve the problem, and then post the results, just one more quick question when testing the transformer what results should i expect.

Sry for all the stupid questions.

Regards
                            I dont think we know if you go to
                            http://lcdparts.net/T.aspx and pick a few - click on "Buy it now"
                            It doesnt buy it and if you scroll down a bit it says what the secondary winding measures - Try a few and you will see how they differ.
                            Unfortunately couldnt see one of yours - think its a IT-007 ? did find one in ebay though - you could try querying the seller?

Can you answer any previous questions you have not answered.

Comment

Hi selldoor

Sry for my late reply have been busy and could not reply erlier, yes my tranformer is the IT-007 il search it on ebay and try talking to the seller.

I still have not rrecap the board, will do it on weekend, if it doesnt work il try buy a coil and capacitator tester, when you guys recap do you recap the ceramic caps too or only the electrolitics?

Thank you so much for the replys i wish someday i can return the favor.

Selldoor can you be more specific in the question you need me to answer? i have read this 2 times and cant find what questions you are refering to.

ty mate best regards

Comment

Hope you are going to use good quality low esr caps.
                                We do not replace ceramic caps as a matter of course - only when proven bad.

Questions

Basic tests - with it all connected up and power to the set but switched off
                                Meter on 600 vDC CAREFULLY measure across the Legs on the BIG CAP.

Switch the power on then do the test again.

Next meter on VDC 200 list the voltages you get on the connector that goes from the power supply to the main board along with what it says they should be.
                                Example

PIN 1 12v 11.25v
                                PIN2 gnd 0.00
                                PIN3 pson 3.37v
                                Anyway you can still test the secondary - Power to board off set you meter on ohms 2000 and measure S1 to S2 in the pic ( Do NOT try to measure the voltage on these pins)
                                Do you have any spare bulbs - old monitor or laptop. if not can you make a test bulb?
                                Are you doing the voltage tests? - before you replace caps
                                then any improvement can be seen

Comment

hi,

Sry for the delay, didnt have the opurtunity to come here, regarding your questions i try to measure it powered on bunt cant acess the componets the build on this screen basicaly dont let you test it powered on, i have recaped the board with low esr caps and dint solve the problem, i dindt recap the 450v one, i still can hear a gruning sound coming from the inverter section, il try buy the inverter and then see if it solves.

il keep you guys update, ty for the link to ebay seller might buy from him.

thanks a lot

regards

Comment

You can test the inverter transformer - board doesnt need powered on for that.
                                    Post a pict of the boards when in the frame - perhaps there is a way?

Most people can do the voltage tests with the boards connected but out of the frame
                                    - you can separate them with card to stop them touching each other.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I know this thread is old but im having the exact same problem with the same model monitor.

Caps look fine and the noise is coming from the inverter transformer (this is marked up with : IT-007 -EBJ55945505 -DD 1023)

Whats the best way to test the transformer and would this work if its faulty?

http://lcdinverter.co.uk/index.php?m...roducts_id=469

Thanks

Ben

Comment

All you can do is test the transformer as above. post11.
                                        It is unlikely the transformer would work(even if it physically fits) you would need to ask the vendor.
                                        Do the lamps flash at all - what does the power led do.
                                        Can you see an very dark image on screen.
                                        Did you own the monitor or buy in to fix if owned did it have any other symptoms
                                        fllickering/ pink tinge/ sometimes not come on etc.

Comment

Working...
                                        X