Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eMachines T3092 random no video; bad caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eMachines T3092 random no video; bad caps?

Hey there. After a few hours of web searching I found this forum and hope the experts here can give me good advice. I had never heard of "bad caps" before yesterday.

This is on an old eMachines T3092 AMD XP 3000+ w/AU31 motherboard that's worked flawlessly until now. (Well not really, the CPU speed dropped to 1.3MHz a few months ago)
    While just surfing the web, the machine clicked and the video cut out. Since the case fans and power were still on, I assumed it was just a problem with the graphics card, and switched to on-board gfx. At that point it would boot up part way, for a few seconds, and then shut down again. After that it won't start at all. I mean, the fans and disks start up, but the video stays off and it never POSTs. Recently (a month or two ago) I'd bought one of the ATI HD cards for it to play some recent games, and it worked alright(despite slow CPU), but I knew it was way too much for the 300w Bestec powersupply and risked it anyway. I put off getting a new one since it was working, but did mean to eventually... honest! Thinking from my layman's computer knowledge that it had finally failed/wasn't making enough juice, I just bought a brand new 500w PSU. That didn't fix anything! So now I'm here.

If you turn the system on clean after it's been powered down for a while (at least several minutes) it will usually boot up, as long as the hard drive is not connected. (the DVD-ROM works, so I can run a Linux Live CD on it or something) That HDD works fine in another computer I'm using as a fileserver right now.
    It seems random when it will POST and when it won't. The only thing that definitively stops it is the HDD. Not memory or peripherals. One thing that allows it to always boot up is clearing the CMOS or removing the battery completely. At that point it will boot with video, say "Error reading settings" and stay up until I try to SAVE the settings, then it shuts off again.
    Hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL or pressing the power button almost always puts it into this "no video" state, instead of rebooting.

Did an examination after finding this site. Sure enough, there are 9 bulging capacitors around the CPU/heatsink. Would have never thought that was abnormal before. There was nothing but dust under them, but a few of them had a hard brown dried up substance on top. It's a different color than the dust.
    I took the motherboard out, thoroughly cleaned it (even though I dust it every 2 months, it was caked with hard packed dust in crevices I didn't know existed) and reconnected, but the same problem exists.

Do these symptoms sound like they're being caused by the bad caps? Or is it possibly something else like the CMOS battery?

eBay has this motherboard for $35-$55. They say "new", but the same board at parts.emachines.com is >$160. Do people here buy from eBay? Are these sellers legitimate?
    Would it be worth it to try and fix this (I'd have to buy a soldering kit and practice since all I have is a cheap hobbyist iron that has barely been used), or is buying the replacement mb the best option?
    Buying a new PC is too expensive for me right now.

Thanks!
    (apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum)

Re: eMachines T3092 random no video; bad caps?

bad caps symtoms right there. just recap it.

dont buy a "new" board. think... how/why would they get a new board from the oem just to sell it cheap? its probably a used one dusted off and repackaged as new.

what brand 500w psu you using? it may not really be a 500w after all...
    Last edited by ratdude747; 08-10-2009, 01:34 AM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by SB-X
      ...eMachines T3092 AMD XP 3000+...
      ...300w Bestec powersupply...
      ...9 bulging capacitors around the CPU/heatsink....had a hard brown dried up substance on top...

Do these symptoms sound like they're being caused by the bad caps?

Would it be worth it to try and fix this....or is buying the replacement mb the best option?
      Baaaaad caps. Those Bestec powersupplys are pretty terrible too.

Is it worth fixing? Hmmm. To fix it will require time and effort out of someone. If not you then someone else. If you are not in a rush you could try to replace those caps. But costs of parts and equipment and time would add up. You could count those costs toward your self-education.

If time and money is the main concern, I'd get the replacement board.
      It is very important to use a quality power supply and to keep the computer dusted out. Keep it clean to help prevent overheating and causing the same or more problems.

I am worried that the same degraded or poor quality caps are used in the "new" board. If you keep it clean and cool they may not pop too soon.

Comment

if it's supposedly new and emachines sells it at a lot more expensive price, the dont buy it. there is some sort of scam likely going on.

even cool boards can pop caps. depends on brand.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

recap it and the bestec.dont forget the "killer cap" which is the 10@50 in the +5stby section.it still posts so it is not dead yet.
          keep running it esp with the bestec and it soon will be!

Comment

btw many times good deals can be had on boards on ebay.just becuse they are cheap compared to emachines parts means nothing.remember many replacement parts are priced to make it more attractive to replace the machine.
            the gamble both ways is the replacement was built with the same bad parts.
            fix your stuff with good parts and it will likely run well beyond the point where it is too slow for your intended use.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry I wasn't specific about the replacements. Actually the eMachines part is a "Replacement Upgrade Kit" which includes:
              ATI RC410 Chipset Motherboard
              Intel Pentium-4 2.80GHz Processor & CPU Fan
              1GB DDR2 PC-4200 Memory
              Power Supply 300 Watt
              Software/Driver CD
              http://parts.emachines.com/Moreinfo....oduct_Id=69523
              They don't sell the exact AU31 MB any more, which accounts for the high price.

Here are some eBay sales:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/AU31-EMACHINES-M...d=p3286.c0.m14 $49.99
              http://cgi.ebay.com/eMACHINES-HP-COM...d=p3286.c0.m14 Refurbished $48.90
              http://cgi.ebay.com/AU31-EMACHINES-M...d=p3286.c0.m14 New Free Shipping $59.99
              I can't tell the difference between COMPAQ and eMachines versions except for price and color. I don't know the difference between AU31 and AU31-L either.
              More: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/i.htm...&_osacat=31496

PSU: The new one is a cheap CoolMax v500. But it was rated well, and if it goes bad in a year it can be replaced again. (wasn't going to put a big investment into power supply if I wasn't 100% sure that was the problem)

Let me be clear I don't know anything about electronics so it's probably a bad idea to fix it myself. (except for the fun and satisfaction factors) Assuming I did go ahead and try...
              How much will 9 good capacitors cost? How do I know if any others need replacing? They all look pristine.
              How do I know the ratings for a cap? How to read the markings? Is this in the FAQ?
              I would also have to include the cost of new equipment. (for ex I believe the iron collecting dust here is <40w and can only go to 400celcius)
              Do you really need test equipment?
              Anyway if the cost is equivalent I don't mind risking it. How hard could it be?

Originally posted by kc8adu
              dont forget the "killer cap" which is the 10@50 in the +5stby section.
              ... Eehhh?
              *goes to the library to pick up a "Computer Motherboards for Dummies" book*

BTW What is the average life or life expectancy of a computer with good caps and good power supply?

Either way this board has given me six good years of service and won't be trashed!

Comment

How do I know the ratings for a cap? How to read the markings? Is this in the FAQ?
                Nevermind I found it. The failed ones say "2200uF, 6.3v".

Comment

If you are in the USA, Digikey is a good place to get them.

I am extremely impressed with Digikey's shipping speed. If I order by 3pm Pacific Time, I get my caps the following day via UPS. Although it costs 8 bucks per shipment (there's no other shipping option). Very cheap for overnight!

Comment

I've also had good experiences with Digikey. The last order I received took only 3 days from the day I placed my order to the time the package came to my house.

I recommend this capacitor from Digikey USA if you're going to replace the failed 2200uf 6.3V caps on your eMachines motherboard (if they are 10mm in diameter): http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12344-ND
                    My gaming PC:
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

If you don't know how to solder or are not confident in your soldering skills to attempt a repair on your motherboard, Topcat (the owner of badcaps.net) has a motherboard repair service on his site, starting at $50 plus $20 return shipping for standard service with Samxon caps. More information is available on the badcaps website.
                      My gaming PC:

Comment

I agree with Newbie2: if you don't have the time or aren't confident, then you can send it to TopCat for a repair (in that case, ignore the stuff I've written below). But if time's not an issue and you want to do this more or less for fun/learning experience, then this would be perfect and it can save some money if done right (capacitors aren't that expensive really).

First, let's start with pictures - do you have a digital camera? Pictures of the motherboard as well as the inside of the Bestec power supply will be really helpful (before you open the Bestec and take pictures, make sure it's plugged in the motherboard, but unplugged from the wall socket - you could get shocked otherwise).

Recapping your motherboard should solve your issues. Good caps will last very long - longer than you would want to use that computer anyways. The Bestec power supply might also need a recap (again, only pictures will tell if it does). However, double-check that your Bestec is a 300 watt model (sticker should say ATX-300). If the sticker says ATX-250 12E, do not use it!
                        Alternatively, you can use the CoolMax power supply, though I must say that I'm a bit sceptical about it as well. CoolMax is generally not bad, but it isn't great either. The capacitors inside it are probably not great as well, otherwise they would give it a longer warranty. But don't open it if you want to keep your warranty.
                        ----
                        A 40 watt soldering iron will probably do the job just fine. Just make sure that it heats up nicely before you start working, and add a small amount of solder to the tip when removing caps because that allows better heat transfer. If both the motherboard and Bestec power supply need a recap, start with the Bestec since it will be easier and the chances of messing something up are not that big. Before you remove any capacitors, make sure to note their position (either take a picture, draw a map on a piece of paper, or mark the positions with a sharpie) - stripe on one side of the capacitor indicates the negative side.

Now the last part - capacitors and what to buy.
                        First, check what capacitors are on the motherboard. That is, the voltage (v), the capacitance (uF), the brand name, and the series (it's usually 2 or 3 letters) - that way we can tell you what capacitors you need to buy.
                        Replace all caps that are of identical brand and series if they are in a group - for example, if one 2200uF 6.3v cap has failed near the CPU, replace all 2200uF 6.3v caps of that brand and series. Do the same with the Bestec power supply - if one cap has failed, it's probably better to recap the whole power supply to avoid any future issues.
                        Last edited by momaka; 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                          Topcat (the owner of badcaps.net) has a motherboard repair service on his site, starting at $50 plus $20 return shipping for standard service with Samxon caps. More information is available on the badcaps website.
                          Yes, I read over that a few times already. Without having money to spare, just getting it replaced will be cheaper. (but then I'd still want the old one fixed eventually) Have also read his Recapping tutorial.
                          Thanks for the capacitors link. Bookmarked it. Still have to find out what rating they all are.

Originally posted by momaka
                          The Bestec power supply might also need a recap (again, only pictures will tell if it does). However, double-check that your Bestec is a 300 watt model (sticker should say ATX-300). If the sticker says ATX-250 12E, do not use it!
                          You think the Bestec one is usable? It seems the consensus here has been that Bestec PSUs are death traps. Is that just the 250w ones?
                          Might be good to recap it anyway for practice. (but going to use the 500w due to the high-powered gfx card's requirements)

Just make sure that it heats up nicely before you start working, and add a small amount of solder to the tip when removing caps because that allows better heat transfer.
                          OK! I could definetely use more soldering tips like that.

I'm still determining what to do based on cost-benefit analysis, and leaning towards recap due to the fact that I have no money and plenty of free time. What's the worse that could happen? (no really, how easy is it to screw up your board?)

Does anyone know why the CMOS battery affects bootup?

Thanks for the great advice guys, that's just what I was hoping for before proceeding. I'll post back later with pictures if my low-res digicam can zoom in that close.

Comment

Your motherboard is already non-functional with bad caps and is requiring replacement, I'd say give it a shot, if you somehow kill the motherboard there's basically nothing to lose.

The motherboard's pretty much dead, so why not give it a shot?
                            My gaming PC:

Comment

You think the Bestec one is usable? It seems the consensus here has been that Bestec PSUs are death traps. Is that just the 250w ones?
                              Thanks to members everell and severach who did some pretty extensive tests on different Bestec power supplies, so far it seems that only the ATX-250 12E model is the infamous motherboard killer, whereas the ATX-250 12Z, ATX-300 12E, and possibly other ATX-300 models are okay. However, posting pictures of the inside of your Bestec will reveal whether it's from the good or bad models.

Might be good to recap it anyway for practice. (but going to use the 500w due to the high-powered gfx card's requirements)
                              Are you sure you have the Coomax v-500 model? If you really do and it's like this one, you might be better off with just using the Bestec (of course only if the Bestec is from the good ones).
                              Everell posted some pictures of the v-500 here and it doesn't look too good. Don't expect to get more than 300 watts from that power supply (if even that much).

I'm still determining what to do based on cost-benefit analysis, and leaning towards recap due to the fact that I have no money and plenty of free time. What's the worse that could happen? (no really, how easy is it to screw up your board?)
                              If you do have the time and you don't rush the job, chances are nothing bad will happen.
                              At worst you can destroy a capacitor or two while putting them in if you heat their leads for too long (when installing or removing capacitors, heat the PCB trace, not the capacitor's legs - I believe that's in the tutorial on the main page). Your soldering iron could slip and damage something (though that's not really common). Or if you give the motherboard an electrostatic shock, that could destroy it easily, so make sure you're grounded. A grounding wrist strap would be nice, but you could also just touch a metal object that is grounded before touching the motherboard and you should be safe.

I'll post back later with pictures if my low-res digicam can zoom in that close.
                              If it doesn't have optical zoom, don't zoom in as that usually doesn't help. Holding a magnifying glass in front of the lens might help though. I've tried that with a few cell phone cameras, and the close up shots were much better with the magnifying glass.
                              Last edited by momaka; 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                Are you sure you have the Coomax v-500 model? If you really do and it's like this one, you might be better off with just using the Bestec (of course only if the Bestec is from the good ones). Everell posted some pictures of the v-500 here and it doesn't look too good. Don't expect to get more than 300 watts from that power supply (if even that much).
                                :O
                                Uh oh. I didn't see those reviews. Maybe it's not built for gaming?
                                How do they build a 500w power supply that puts out <300w?

If it doesn't have optical zoom, don't zoom in as that usually doesn't help. Holding a magnifying glass in front of the lens might help though.
                                That's a great idea. I would have never thought about it. I'll post some pictures of the caps in the next post, in case anyone wants to help identify them and what to replace them with. I can read most of the markings and brand names though. It (the computer) has nichicon, rubycon, and teapo among others. Havn't opened the PSU yet. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

OK, even with magnifying glass this camera sucks. While I try to figure out how to improve the focus, these shots should help you see the placement of all capacitors including the obviously bad ones. (you'll just have to take my word on how they look)
                                  I've identified and labeled all of them as best I could, so hopefully it
                                  should be easy to figure out the missing values (the ratings of the one by the PS2 ports and the fat one near the IDE cable slot) by their location, and what's best to replace them with, if you're so inclined.

I can't read the two green ones to the right of the Sanyos; they don't have the same marking.
                                  So... I don't really have to change that many of these, right?

As for soldering, I'm still reading & practicing.

(Order: upper left w/bad caps, upper right, center right, center left, lower left, lower right, higher-res badcaps pic)
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by SB-X; 08-14-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

looks like the nichicons around the cpu are the only problem.
                                    rubycon mbz are a good replacement.replace and test.

Comment

Those failed capacitors are Nichicon HM series caps, a known unreliable capacitor along with the Nichicon HN series.

Also, if you're looking at ordering capacitors to replace your failed Nichicon HM 2200uf 6.3V capacitors on Digikey, the United Chemi-con KZE series is also suitable for use: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-1634-ND

The Panasonic FM series and United Chemi-con KZE series are good for motherboard use.

You might also want to replace the OST and Teapo capacitors, but the only problem you have are those Nichicon capacitors. The green United Chemi-con capacitors in the third picture you have along with the Rubycon and Sanyo capacitors do not need replacement.
                                      Last edited by Newbie2; 08-15-2009, 08:18 AM.
                                      My gaming PC:

Comment

Yeah, looks like the Nichicon HM caps are the only problem.
                                        The Rubycons, Sanyos, and those green 1000uF 10v "unknown" caps (United Chemicon - recognized by the little shield) are all good and don't seem like they need to be replaced. As for the Ost and Teapo caps, you don't need to replace them unless your motherboard's problems persist after replacing the Nichicon HM caps.

Originally posted by Newbie2
                                        Those failed capacitors are Nichicon HM series caps, a known unreliable capacitor along with the Nichicon HN series.
                                        I think they fixed that issue as of late 2004. Newer HM and HN caps shouldn't have that problem anymore.
                                        ----
                                        SB-X: What's the diameter of the blown Nichicon capacitors on your motherboard, 8 or 10mm? Also what's their height?

For replacements, mouser.com has well-priced Nichicon HM, HN, and HZ caps. Page containing them is here if you want to buy. HN and HZ will be an upgrade to HM. Just make sure you get the same diameter as the ones that are on your motherboard right now.

Alternatively, you can go with polymers. They are slightly more expensive, but guaranteed to give your motherboard more years of service than you would want anyways. Either of these could work:
                                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-3011-ND
                                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=493-3012-ND]
                                        However, since I'm not on expert with polymers, it's probably a better idea to wait for kc8adu or someone else here to verify if they'll be suitable replacements for the Nichicons.

You can also buy caps through badcaps.net if you'd like. Just send TopCat your order, mention the capacitors brand (Nichicon in your case) and series (HM) that you're replacing, and he should give you suitable replacements.

As for the United Chemicon KZE from digikey, I'm not sure if those will work. They have slightly higher ESR and slightly lower ripple current. Panasonic FM caps will probably work, though.

So, lots of choices here .
                                        Also, check the Bestec's caps and post their brand and series here before buying capacitors for the motherboard. It might be cheaper to buy everything at once.

Comment

Working...
                                        X