Identifying capacitor type - Older 2002 videocard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying capacitor type - Older 2002 videocard

Not good at identifying caps - 180uF in what Voltage/cap type? Card boots, but I saw that one leg was broken and have pulled the other one off for replacement (top/left of photo). Radeon AIW 9700 Pro.

My uneducated guess is 180uF SMD aluminum electrolytic of maybe 16V, since the card pulls from the 4-pin floppy connector. Lower Voltage? I see the 10V cap over to the right, so perhaps that one is being used for input Voltage of 5V, not pulling from the 12V pin?

Photo:
    Last edited by Masejoer; 03-09-2021, 02:00 PM.

Re: Identifying capacitor type - Older 2002 videocard

It that is a "C" the voltage is likely 16vdc. The j is 6.3vdc
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R_J; 03-09-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      It that is a "C" the voltage is likely 16vdc. The j is 6.3vdc
      I don't know how you identified this datasheet (I didn't even know what NA was), but that's exactly what I was looking for, and more. Thank you!

Comment

Yup, can confirm these are Nichicon NA series and that the above 180 uF cap is rated for 16V. I have several regular 9700 non-pro video cards, and the cap brands do vary a bit for the polymers - some come with Nichicon NA, as shown above, and others come with United Chemicon PXA. Unlike the Nichicon, the Chemicons do state the voltages on them, so that's how I was able to find out what some of these were some years ago when I was trying to fix some of these cards.

By the way, you may also want to get a better cooler / heatsink for that card. Many R300/R350 cards have died over the years because their stock coolers are a bit too wimpy. A Zalman VF700-CU would be a good start... though there are better alternatives out there too.

Comment

Working...
        X