New capacitor technology - high lifetime caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New capacitor technology - high lifetime caps

I'm getting ready to put in a capacitor order. I generally look for nichicon, panny, kemet, or united chemicon, and I'm noticing that there aren't any 1000 hour caps anymore, and not many 2000 hour caps. Most of the caps are rated around 5000 hours or better. Last time I ordered, 1000 hour caps were pretty much most of them, and the very few 10,000 hour caps had pretty bad specs.

So what's the deal, have we made major progress with capacitor reliability in the past few years? Are these high lifetime caps ok to use? It's not that I wouldn't welcome the change, I really would, I'm just skeptical. Is this trickery, i.e. did they change the testing methodology?

Edit: Don't see many 85C caps anymore either. I really hope this is real.

Thanks!
    Last edited by clearchris; 03-26-2021, 06:51 PM.

Re: New capacitor technology - high lifetime caps

Theoretical...but I've heard of the R&D of hemp caps/super caps/batteries
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

there are no shortage of shit 1000-2000hour caps, you just didnt see them because your not looking for them!

every maker has a "shit" range for cheap mass production products.
      panasonic AM range for example.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        there are no shortage of shit 1000-2000hour caps, you just didnt see them because your not looking for them!

every maker has a "shit" range for cheap mass production products.
        panasonic AM range for example.
        Hmm, perhaps you are right. I usually search for low impedance/low esr caps, and perhaps only those have improved, because when I open my search up to "general purpose" caps, the 1000-2000 hour caps are there. Still, if only the high end has improved, I'll take it.

Comment

Working...
        X