choosing new battery bms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choosing new battery bms

i have an e bike battery pack in need of a new bms .the old one went up in smoke . its a yamaha one .
    was wondering if a say a cheapo 30 amp one would do it ? and would it be possible to use the original working charger as it has 4 connections .
    can post pics later if needed .

Re: choosing new battery bms

Please post some pictures of this BSM balancing protection board that you have maybe there might be one that would work correctly you might be able use some of what you have with some modifications

( using your charger to a new BMS balancing protection board )

I would probably recommend a 100 amp one for more headroom if I were doing this repair and upgrade it for more amperage capabilities

If you would post what voltage and what type lithium ion batteries that are being used I would help you find one

I have watched some of his videos in the past and he has some good ideas about this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT-1gvkFj60

Here is another video which is very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2sBhDxmPmA&t=0s
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-07-2021, 10:13 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

agree that probably need higher amperage, at 30A without knowing more details probably doesn't have enough capacity for motor starts (though the motor control board may soften this spike...) 30A sounds like less than 1HP which is probably ok for quarter HP motors depending on voltage.

Comment

its a 10s battery pack .the old bms pcb is a total wreck . i will get details of the bike off the owner . as i don't have it here .
        will post pics later .

Comment

some pics
          Attached Files

Comment

30A probably would work IMHO for most cases at 10S but only if the motor was rated for around 1HP or less.

As for the original charger, who knows what the extra wires are for...need to do research...

Looks like the batteries took a bit of a bite there... ooh that doesnt look good...

Comment

I would highly recommend that you carefully check each cell for voltage and amperage output I have a feeling that you might have battery issues as well
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

yep i had found a shorted fet and blown double thermal fuse but wanted to see the other side of the board and it decided to self destruct whilst removing solder from the tabs . yes i realise now i should have disconnected the main +- first .even so it still could have done that . guessing it was a bit of solder shoerted it .. scared the shit out of me as i had to pick it up and take outdoors whilst fire was shooting out of it . wish i had a vid of it but didnt have time for that .

Comment

the pack seems fine all balanced for voltage .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    the pack seems fine all balanced for voltage .
                    If you are going to look at a BMS balancing protection board you need to desolder ( or cut the tabs to the board if you can safely ) the batteries from the board before you start trying to look at it or troubleshooting it

I hold my breath every time I work on these type of board and batteries because I know shit can go very wrong in a hurry

So did fry the the batteries as well “ whilst removing solder from the tabs. ” this might mean that it pressure release from the internal pressure of the batteries and they might not be very good anymore ( because it happened to me once and the voltage was still there but the battery would leak fluid from the positive side of the battery

What is the voltage on the plus and negative terminals of the battery pack

Because I am confused about the configuration of this pack because correct me if I am wrong but I counted 36 batteries and if this count is correct then it could not be 10s
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-07-2021, 11:51 AM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

its 36v ..
                      bike is a haibike ..yamaha motor ..from what i can find the most it will be is 500w . most are 250w . will know for sure when i hear back from the owner .

Comment

ok its a 250w motor .. ebay ad says 30a is good for less than 1000 w . no idea if that figure is inflated somehow like they do .

oh the battery is 400wh .
                        Last edited by petehall347; 04-07-2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

this is the bms i am looking at ..what do you folks think ?
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10S-36V-3...IAAOSwAK5gCU4p

Comment

this is the bms i am looking at ..what do you folks think ?
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10S-36V-3...IAAOSwAK5gCU4p
                            I would think so but I would consider putting a fast acting fuse for maximum current including inrush current just in case of failure of the BMS balancing protection board or put individual fuses on each cells

There are videos on you tube that shows how some people are doing this concept

Or get a 50 amp BSM protection balancing protection board for add safety
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I think 30A @ 36V is enough margin for 250W even with inrush, but I think the "throttle" control should deal with inrush for you actually.

Kind of funny people would play with 10S3P packs and not with a quart of gasoline ...
                              (I think the quart of gasoline is still contains more energy than 10S3P pack?)

Comment

bms arrived today and its pretty small . will fit it anyway and see what the charger thinks of it .

Comment

as suspected with new bms wired in it doesnt charge ..i have another battery pack here that is a copy one . i was trying to find the same bms as fitted to that one but cant find one . i have pics of the wiring . will post below .
                                  black blue green red go to the charger port .
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by petehall347; 04-19-2021, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Is this the type of charger that requires voltage from the battery to activate the charging circuit
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

it looks that way .
                                      even if i get it charging i dont know what to do about the data wire that goes to the electronics from the battery .

Comment

it looks that way .
                                        even if i get it charging i dont know what to do about the data wire that goes to the electronics from the battery .
                                        If it has this it would not be useful unless you disable this part of the circuit

Can you find output side of the power supply to bypass this part of the circuit

Or just get a switching power supply that can limit current and voltage and be done with it

Some of these chargers use a temperature sensor device for monitoring the temperature unless it also monitoring the voltage and current algorithms some way if it this type you do not have a very good chance of getting this to work correctly
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-19-2021, 10:21 AM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X