This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Corsair pulled 335W from the same model under the raidmax name before the primary switchers went out.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
      Corsair pulled 335W from the same model under the raidmax name before the primary switchers went out.
      Yes, and their last words were "That was spectacular!" .

Originally posted by 370forlife
      Also note the second primary switcher that is split in half
      Never noticed that until now . Fuse doesn't look like it's blown, though.

Comment

I posted this picture in another topic, but I might as well post it here as well. Behold a cheapo Nintendo DS charger, after a fatal short-circuit...

(note the exploded IC and the soot on the caps)
        You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Also the diode leads had blown out pits as well.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I just got a dead "TT" branded PSU from a repair, where there are massive burn marks near the wires on the secondary side, Caps are all bloated and it took the motherboard out. Pics coming soon.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Just realised all the glue on the caps, but they're going to need more to stop them leaking.
              Attached Files

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

It's an L&C...

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                  It's an L&C...
                  L&C=Deer=

Comment

Its got some potential with those heatsinks.

Comment

That seems to be just like my "Super Talent" power supply that I posted about a while ago somewhere on this forum. After a full recap, upgrade of the secondary rectifiers, and upgrade of the primary filtering and bridge rectifier, it works great.

Comment

That's some nasty heat damage near the secondary caps...
                        EDIT: grammar

Comment

its the opposite of a linkworld i just gutted, great filtering and wire, good rectifiers, etc. but he caps were bad and the heatsinks were TINY! good for parts only.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly
                            Compare that 250W Powsun to a 90W Delta/Newton:

I was going to say, there is no way that looks capable of 250 Watts.

I've got a 125 Watt Dell PSU with a board almost 3 times bigger!
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

How is this powsun(leadman) working btw? It doesn't have 5vsb transformer, so everything must be on one transformer? And I don't see 5vsb switching transistor or ic. That would mean all rails are turned on all of the time?

edit: There is an ic on primary side, but I believe it's a pwm controller.
                              Last edited by mur; 05-15-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mur
                                How is this powsun(leadman) working btw?
                                Good question. Perhaps there's only one rail that's constantly present and all of the voltages are generated from that rail. That's just a guess, though.
                                Or maybe that's not an ATX PSU?

Comment

that's actually supposed to be a 150W PSU. not 250W.

http://www.powsun.com/pcpower_8868two.htm

still.. interesting question..

Comment

Maybe it's designed for Pentium 1 systems?
                                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

It's ATX, it has 3.3v (the orange wires) and 5vsb wire (purple) as well as ps-on (green wire) and ps-ok (grey wire).

The 5vsb is probably produced by the circled transistor or maybe IC in to-220 package.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

This is on secondary side, so I think it's a rectifying diode for 5vsb. Still not clear how it works on primary, though.

Comment

Here's another one. Four diodes, small transformers and small heatsinks. Primary caps are fuhjyyu, secondaris are nicon (no, I didn't mean nichicon) and Fcon.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X