Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lenovo G485 Is this cpu shorted?

Hi all
    At first iam not very expert at board level or electrical enginering so apologize if i give a bit not accurate information about it

i was troubleshooting a laptop that wont turn on
    The laptop is lenovo G485

At fist time its indeed turning on but no post
    After a while its not turning on at all just like something shorted at the board.
    Then i checked motherboard and i found a weird low restistance (10-15ohm) at the inductor near power supply connector. I search again for another inductor all over the place.
    And this low resistance does also present in the inductor that connected to cpu. I lift one side of this inductor. And check the cpu rails side still giving low resistance, while the other side are not (1 big megaohm) all over rails till the inductor near power supply connector comes normal
    I try turn on the board with inductor lift up. It did turning on for sec and turn off
    And when i resolder the inductor and connecting dc power (without trigering on the board) it did like pulling power and some mosfet getting hot also the cpu a bit warm.
    My question is this cpu shorted? Because I do found information that some cpu/gpu chip have normal low resistant even below 5 ohm (count without resistance of the probe it self)

Re: Is this cpu shorted?

Very likely bad APU.

Comment

Re: Is this cpu shorted?

Update information
      With inductor disconnected from cpu
      I get 20v on this side.
      It should arround 1V right?

Comment

Re: lenovo G485 Is this cpu shorted?

You're right, this rail runs at very low voltages. But 20V went into the APU through a internal shorted High-Side MOSFET, so yes like already told. The APU is gone
        FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Re: lenovo G485 Is this cpu shorted?

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
          You're right, this rail runs at very low voltages. But 20V went into the APU through a internal shorted High-Side MOSFET, so yes like already told. The APU is gone
          Yes i found PQ901 is shorted. But surprisingly the APU still alive and it boot after replacing thoose mosfet
          I’am sure i’ve seen 19V coming to the APU
          Last edited by julianmustofa; 11-09-2022, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X