Acer not working off battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer not working off battery

Having problems getting this laptop to power on with just the battery. I have swapped the charging chip BQ24760 out but it's exactly the same. Voltages in the picture are whilst plugged in to charger. Are they correct?

Re: Acer not working off battery

Comment

test voltage on PL4002 & PU4002 page 40 Schematic
      Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for your response Techtiger. They both measured 2.7v and PU4002 has 19v on the other side. I swapped out PU4002 and it was showing 2.9v until I connected the battery then went back to 2.7v. Still shows 2.7v with battery connected and disconnected.

Is this going to be a case of swapping out PL4002 at the same time as PU4001 and PU4003?

Comment

Did you try to replace the battery?
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Does the laptop give you any LED indications for the battery status when plugged into charger? Solid/flashing battery LED? As Piernov suggested, try different battery as that 2.7V is way undervoltage for a 2s battery.

Comment

Try measuring battery plugged out. Could be battery is dead. If you have no voltage, that means battery protection circuit is shut, because battery is discharged to the point of being dead.

That means, new battery.

Comment

On some acers there`s a small micro switch that presses in when you fasten down the cpu/mem cover. With cover off the switch is up,the battery doesn`t charge.
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

test BQ24760 working conditions pin
                  2 4 5 8 15 36 42 for voltage after test coil PL4002 For resistance

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
                    test voltage on PL4002 & PU4002 page 40 Schematic
                    Both are 2.76v

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
                      test BQ24760 working conditions pin
                      2 4 5 8 15 36 42 for voltage after test coil PL4002 For resistance
                      PL4002 is 2.7ohms

The pins of BQ24760 are a bit confusing. There are only 40 pins that I can see although the schematic says there are 43. I have taken the measurements of the numbers you've asked for where pin 1 = the white painted arrow on the board and the pin 42 you ask for I've given you pins 39 and 40.

2 = 0v
                      4 = 2.6v
                      5 = 0.1v
                      8 = 3.4v
                      11 = 2.8v
                      15 = 6v
                      22 = 2.8v
                      36 = 19v
                      39 = 3.3v
                      40 - 0.5v

Comment

Originally posted by mosfetratus View Post
                        Try measuring battery plugged out. Could be battery is dead. If you have no voltage, that means battery protection circuit is shut, because battery is discharged to the point of being dead.

That means, new battery.
                        It's 0.085v. Apparently the customer had sent this to Acer and they swapped out the battery but it still didn't work but now the original battery is back in there.
                        Last edited by kalemaroni; 03-31-2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brew99 View Post
                          Does the laptop give you any LED indications for the battery status when plugged into charger? Solid/flashing battery LED? As Piernov suggested, try different battery as that 2.7V is way undervoltage for a 2s battery.
                          PLED1 is blue when just the charger is plugged in. Both PLED1 and PLED2 are blue when the battery and charger is plugged in. I did at one time see PLED2 flash red a couple of times after plugging in the charger and then went to steady blue.

The only battery I've managed to find is China and I'm waiting to hear back from the customer as to whether he wants me to order one.

What should the 2.7v be - 8.4v I'm assuming?
                          Last edited by kalemaroni; 03-31-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                            On some acers there`s a small micro switch that presses in when you fasten down the cpu/mem cover. With cover off the switch is up,the battery doesn`t charge.
                            Any idea what that switch looks like/where it is/what it's called on the schematic?

Comment

try to charge battery with PSU, check thread called "battery charging with psu"

2,7V is way low. when u have good voltage on it even charging may start work

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                                try to charge battery with PSU, check thread called "battery charging with psu"

2,7V is way low. when u have good voltage on it even charging may start work
                                I tried the battery charging with PSU trick but it didn't draw any amps. I guess I need to figure out why I'm only getting 2.7v from the charger regardless. Any ideas?

Comment

did u try to trigget battery charging switch pin?
                                  Last edited by ktmmotocross; 04-01-2019, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kalemaroni View Post
                                    Any idea what that switch looks like/where it is/what it's called on the schematic?
                                    Its SW1 ,page 82.Also look at page 39 ,BI_BTY1_R ,hole H4

http://tipstash.blogspot.com/2014/08...at-random.html
                                    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                                      did u try to trigget battery charging switch pin?
                                      Which one is the charging switch pin and how do you trigger it?

Comment

Bridge the 2 sides of the hole with tweezers or a jumper and press SW1 ,keep it held down. See if it starts to charge .
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-01-2019, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X