HP G62 laptop screen backlight aways on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP G62 laptop screen backlight aways on

Hello, a got a non working hp g62 laptop with problematic video graphic chip. Fixed for testing by reheating the video chip. It is working now, but after shutdown the backlights stays on. Also if the screen sleeps.on first plug the screen is off, then when i power on the computer, its on. And if i power off, it shuts down and stop, but the screen stays shining white.. also, changing brightness not working.
    I measured the backlight on signal on the board of the led screen, and its 3,3v when the computer is on, and 0 when off. Seems to that the led driver just pass voltage to the strings no matter what.. i looked for datasheet but no luck..
    So any ideas are wellcome
    Attached Files

Re: HP G62 laptop screen backlight aways on

Lcdvdd-does it goes zero after turning off??

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
      Lcdvdd-does it goes zero after turning off??
      What you mean by lcdvdd? 19v is present all the time. I have a vcc test point near the connector of the screen board, it goes 3.3 when on, 0 when off. Just measured the led strip voltage on vled test point, it is 19v all the time, or 19 and something, just like the voltage of the main 19v rail on the laptop.

Comment

It's normal for the display to get 19v from the main power rail to run the backlight. There is an inverter / booster built onto the control board of the display. There is a variable voltage signal that comes from the main board to tell the screen how bright it should be. My thought is that the problem is on the display itself and you can open it up a bit and find the control voltage. Having a spare screen right now would help you.
        These HP G62 notebooks suffer from the same AMD GPU failures that affected the 2011 Macs. They are not repairable. You can heat them up and they will last from a few weeks to a few months, but then they will die. Don't waste too much money on this model.

Comment

Originally posted by ACS-Repair View Post
          It's normal for the display to get 19v from the main power rail to run the backlight. There is an inverter / booster built onto the control board of the display. There is a variable voltage signal that comes from the main board to tell the screen how bright it should be. My thought is that the problem is on the display itself and you can open it up a bit and find the control voltage. Having a spare screen right now would help you.
          These HP G62 notebooks suffer from the same AMD GPU failures that affected the 2011 Macs. They are not repairable. You can heat them up and they will last from a few weeks to a few months, but then they will die. Don't waste too much money on this model.
          10x for the reply. i am doing this just for the experience.

i already opened the display, the attached pictures are from the control board. i guess there is a problem with the led driver chip on the picture, but i cant find datasheet

Comment

I don't know if you ever finished troubleshooting this or not.
            Too bad you are so far away. I would give you a G62 screen for free.

Comment

Working...
            X