Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - Dell Inspiron 1559

Hey guys, grateful if you can help me figure out issue with the following:

Board reference: AAL15 LA-D071P rev 1.0 (with dGPU)

Backstory:
    Laptop came in as dead. After diagnosis, 5VALW regulator was shorted. Regulator was replaced and laptop boots without issue.

However, when trying to boot into windows, I get WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and laptop reboots. Sometimes it would start booting into windows and give the welcome message (fresh windows installed) but would then give BSOD with above error and restart. Sometimes I get MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD and sometimes PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA.

Preliminary tests (with and without CMOS battery installed):
    1. Swapped HDD with known good -> No change

2. Swapped RAM with known good and I get RAM error blink code (2 amber, 4 white)

3. Check RAM slot for debris/corrosion and broken solder joints -> No issue

4. Flash known good BIOS -> No change

Weird issue:
    Referring to 2nd test mentioned above, if original RAM and my known good RAM is installed, it would sometime boot and detect properly. But if I use only my RAM, I get RAM error blink.

Voltage measurement
    At first measurement, all voltage seemed OK but right when windows starts loading, the CPU core voltage is all over the place. At boot CPU is around 0.94V but as soon as windows starts loading, voltage can go as low as 0.6V.

Removing HDD and booting from USB (to prompt windows installation wizard) and causes fluctuating voltage as above.

Measuring +VCC_CORE with DSO shows a VERY noisy line.

The voltage on drops when windows starts loading. Otherwise it stays around 0.94V

What I did so far:
    1. Replace output capacitors on CPU core -> No change.

2. Use slightly higher capacitance (220uF default, changed to 330uF) -> No change.

3. Check and redid solder joints of the whole CPU power section in case there is a dry joint -> No change.

4. Replaced inductor -> No change.

5. Swapped switch IC with +VCC_GT -> No change.

6. I don't have replacement IC for main CPU controller chip. Removed existing one to check for corrosion and redid solder joints just in case -> No change.

NOTE:
    1. No change means still getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD
    2. DSO probe point -> Output of +VCC_CORE inductor

There is no corrosion on the board and all other voltages are stable and smooth. Am not sure what else to check. Could it be potentially cracked BGA solder of the SoC? Any Suggestion please?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spider1211; 10-11-2021, 01:27 PM.

Re: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - Dell Inspiron 1559

I was also facing this error on a toshiba laptop i5 4th or 5th Gen CPU, can't remember.

I tried few things like you did. I also tried flashing the bios from toshiba website. all ended with same BSOD WHEA error.

tried reflowing the CPU too, but same BSOD error

I gave up on it, thinking the CPU is BAD internally

didn't tried reballing the CPU, maybe that will do.

Comment

@spider1211, it's soc fault. You can try by de soldering the soc . If there is any corrosion under it, reballing will help. Else soc itself needs replacement. Faced this very same issue on Asus 7th gen i5 laptop. Solved by replacing new soc.

Comment

I had a feeling it might be the SoC. Although the device has been worked on before, there does not appear to be liquid damage/corrosion anywhere on the board.

Unfortunately I no longer have a BGA reflow machine, so am definitely not going to be able to reflow or reball.

@mcplslg123; did you also experience the weird RAM issue?

Thank you guys!

Comment

First thing would be to try with another known good DDR3L stick…
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Already tried multiple known good but same issue. It only detect other DDR3L sticks if the one it came with is installed (and that too is sporadic). I also tried different combination of DDR3L with no luck. It boots fine every time (with BSOD) only if the stick it came with is installed.

Comment

Post pictures of stickers on the RAM sticks.
              Might be bad contact in RAM slot or under CPU, check with RAM slot tester if one line is interrupted. (won't tell much about slightly bad contact though)
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Will upload pictures as soon as possible. Contacts and solder joints looks fine on close inspection. If I use the stick it came with and my known good stick, it detects fine in BIOS (once it boots) and will restart fine until power is completely removed and reapplied.

It also boots fine every time if I use only the stick it came with in either slots.

I unfortunately do not have a RAM slot tester at present.

Comment

Working...
                X