Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba kitchen food processor (model: TFP 1500) Capacitor value ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba kitchen food processor (model: TFP 1500) Capacitor value ?

I am repairing an old Toshiba kitchen food processor (model: TFP 1500) with a blown paper wound capacitor. The electric motor is not working so I guess this is a starting capacitor.

Can anyone interpret the markings, or alternatively suggest a value to try as a replacement?

The can is about 30mm long and 12mm diameter. It is marked;
    FKC.1+.003x2
    240VAC 9625

Thanks for any help
    Mike
    PS I have tried Toshiba but not found the right people yet.
    Attached Files

Re: Capacitor value ?

that's a suppressor also called a delta-cap
    3 wires,
    0.1uf between the 2 lives, and 0.003uf (3nf) between each live and ground.
    is it shorted?

Comment

Re: Toshiba kitchen food processor (model: TFP 1500) Capacitor value ?

When the machine was disassembled the paper from inside the cap was distributed around the interior space. I only saw 2 wires connected to the cap - the one in the photo and another on the other cap of same or similar diameter.

Where would the ground wire go?
      Thanks for your help,
      Mike

Comment

if it is a 3wire cap then the "earth" goes to the metal body of the motor

Comment

I don't know if the company still makes the part, but I'm pretty sure the original part was made by Wima, https://www.wima.de/en/ .
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Yup, that looks just like an EMI/RFI suppressor cap. 0.1 uF between Live and Neutral, and 0.0033 uF (3.3 nF) between Live-to-Ground and Neutral-to-Ground. So that's where the 3 wires go. In case you can't find an exact replacement: you can build your own arrangement from individual X1/X2 and Y1/Y2 caps. So something like a 0.1 to 0.22 uF cap between Live-to-Neutral and 2x 3.3 nF Y1/Y2 -class cap between Live-to-Ground and Neutral-to-Ground should work fine. Of course, that's assuming you do have the space inside the food processor to place these individual components. As for the motor not working... that may (and likely is) a different issue not related to this bad cap. More pictures/info of the motor and how it's connected would help, though. Generally, start/run caps made for AC motors are quite a bit larger in size. So I don't think we are dealing with such motor or cap here.

Comment

it will work without the cap for test purposes.

Comment

I get the machine today, so will investigate wiring, space and motor further.
                Thanks all.

Comment

Further investigation shows:
                  - A mechanical safety switch has a fault. Temporarily got it working and the motor runs
                  - the cap aluminium body was held by a bracket on the motor casing which I assume provided the grounding.
                  - All as predicted by momaka & stj
                  - Wima could not identify the cap markings

I haven't sourced a replacement cap yet, or the X and Y replacements, but that will come in the next few weeks.

Thanks very much all, I've gained new knowledge,
                  Mike
                  Attached Files

Comment

Good work.

Yeah, those safety switches can fail too, especially if they aren't of high quality. Probably need to get that sorted first before worrying about the X/Y combo cap. Technically, you could just bypass the safety switch and still use the food processor... but clearly this would be a poor idea in most cases, especially if it belongs to someone else.

Anyways, keep us updated how it goes. Looks like it should be a fairly straight-forward repair... but with the only catch being if you can find the right replacement parts easily.

Comment

if you have to salvage a cap, you find them in vacume cleaners

Comment

Working...
                      X