Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp g6-2304au

I am trying to help some kids net door.

They have this pretty dilapidated and bashed up laptop...not going...sucker old fella (me), says "give me a bash"

Well, the hinges on the screen are damaged beyond repair, no battery cover and no battery...runs off mains only.

Yesterday, after many attempts to get it to boot up, it wouldn't. Then once it decided to boot.

But all I got was a white screen...hmm, I thought maybe the ribbons running up to the screen or whatever may be loose, or whatever...that was not the answer.

This morning I had a bash again, and decided to attach an hdmi lead to it, and attached it to my monitor.

After a few on/offs, not getting anywhere, I fluked a picture on the monitor (laptop screen still blank) I was connected to, however it got to a password screen.

I rang them, but they could only remember one password, telling me to try " homerd", just the letters.

Nope, didn't work....tried a few times...nope. I asked the family to try think the password, but they can't remember.

Whilst they were thinking about it, I turned off, powered down the laptop.

I came back later, it booted, but then I worked out why the password wasn't working, and that was that I discovered the number 3, as well as the keys E and D didn't work. From above, the password had an E and a D in it. Hmmm...that was probably a definite area to look at, so I googled up some answers, many suggesting a stuck key or dust or mechanical failure, or a dirty unseated keyboard ribbon.

I gave in for a while then...other things needed doing.

Tonight decided to "play again", but this time, turn it on, power flows. No white screen on the laptop, and no signal message on my monitor.

I says "crikey, what has happened".

Tried a few times, no luck. It did not do anything after the start, no sound of the hard drive (500GB sata))whirring, no messages on screen.

I then googled around on my pc, and read and tried a plethora of things, all to no avail.

I undid the bottom, and took out the ram, cleaned the ends with a rubber, and wiped it all back clean and reinserted it...no change.

I took the keyboard off the laptop, that took me a while, as I have never done that before (had to google a video to show me)...the ribbon was seated, but I unclipped it, cleaned it, replace it back, but at the same time checked other strips I could see, not much evident.

You guessed it, no change.

Next I looked at the sata drive, unplugged it, cleaned the connections, reinserted...diddly squat again... other than the power and the cooling fan.

Turned it all off, scratched around google again.

Turned it back on, but now, all I get is power, and 3 x long beeps, three in a row, then nothing. At the same time, the caps key flashes white. This cycle continued, so shut down, googled again.

Plenty of references on that, saying it is a bios problem.

Some said hold windows key and B together press power, release power on first beep, keep holding other keys until bios menu appears...it didn't...ever...many many attempts

Another said hold down windows and v key, doing similar to above...nothing.

At the moment, the laptop simply turns on, shows no display on screen or monitor, does not get to any boot mode stays on until I turn it off holding the power key.

So, after all this trying, I have got nothing achieved, and from what next door tells me of the machine, this is how it has been for ages...they couldn't get to the password screen like I did, but having said that, I can't even repeat that now.

Without giving me the correct advise of throwing the old clunker in the garbage bin, I would like to try give it a few more hours of my time, if someone can suggest some possibilities to me? I am just an ordinary pc user, not far up the ladder, but can follow basic instructions, as long as they are easily enough to perform.

Can anyone suggest stuff, and maybe give some kids a little bit of joy back?

I hope my long boring story did not put you to sleep. I'm tired from all the typing !!

Cheers

EDIT...I saved this as a draft...but now some extra info
    I had to play again... cannot help myself

I found holding the power on button for more than 3 seconds immediately shuts it down

With ram out, still get three beeps X three times and no screen on command or whirring of the HDD..just the fan working

With ram out, HDD out, same thing .

Read somewhere to do all this again, as well as disconnect wifi, then reassemble everything and power up again ..nothing

Another suggestion was to remove the CMOS battery ..what the heck, why not. To do that, had to remove keyboard, ram, HDD, and separate the bezel and heaps of screws to get to the motherboard, flip it over, to get to it, finding it was the battery type in a casing and pin plugged to it

Whole laptop apart now, and I noticed a screen connection not seated right. I wonder if this was causing the screen to just go white, but don't know whilst it is in bits

I just disconnected the CMOS from the board, gave up for the night, and will try to reassemble it tomorrow and see what happens I suppose?

If anyone has any suggestions whilst it is in a pulled down mode, then I'd love to hear from you.

Bye the way, the hdd is ok, tested that in another device.

Thanks
    Signature:Seemingly hopeless tv fixer

Re: Hp g6-2304au

These are old machines. Take a close look under microscope/magnifying glass and you will perhaps see corrosion somewhere. Need to thoroughly clean the mb with ipa,take care of corrosion(if any) and report back

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it.

To be honest, I did not see any marks, scorches, deterioration or marks on the motherboard, other than a lot of dust, dead insects, the usual that you see when opening old electrical items up.

I did wipe down all contact areas as well as use some air to blow it all out.

In honesty, it all looked ok, but I don't know about all the little components that are attached to it?

Just odd that it did boot to a personal password area the one time, but just went back to nothing from then onwards. I am sure that I have not done anything in my dismantling to upset anything, and I have re-seated everything as it was.

The only thing that makes me wonder, is the keyboard itself, in that three of those keys were found unresponsive, and I wonder if the keyboard itself may be the cause of the total boot up problem...I have no expertise to know if this is likely or not? Can a pc boot without a keyboard?

I am at a complete standstill now, only knowing that the HDD is definitely ok.

Thank you.

Comment

Yes a dead keyboard can prevent an laptop not booting. You can use an external keyboard toggle capslock and see that capslock light light up. Then you know that the laptop post. If it not then you need to program bios. Also you can try remove bios battery and short the two pins for 5 sec and make sure bios battery has. 3v. Good luck

Comment

Hi,

I attached a usb keyboard to the pc, but still nothing. Pressing the cap key brought no new process to hand.

I have disconnected the battery previously, as it is a direct clip on to the motherboard, however that has made no difference at all

Powe and fan still works, but nothing again.

Comment

I think you should try flashing bios if you got all the psu on the coils

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
              I think you should try flashing bios if you got all the psu on the coils
              Thanks....I tried that by putting the HP bios onto a usb stick and inserting it into the laptop usb slot.

As before, all that happens is the power comes on, then the fan, then 3 beeps time three times, but it does not do anything via the usb port.

Comment

You need to program the bios with external programmer. You need to remove bios from mainboard program and solder it back. If you got all the voltage. You can also make hd picture with all the voltage on the coils and resistance to ground . When you do resistance remove all power , cpu , wifi, ram , etc. You also tried with known working ram of the correct specifications?

Comment

Thanks again Stevedb,

Unfortunately that is far beyond my capabilities.

Further, I have no other of that type of ram to replace the other with.

In these cases, is it simply a throw away job now?

Comment

Working...
                  X