Which browser is better???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which browser is better???

Which do you think is the best (looking for opinions on those who have actually tried multiple browsers)???

Why am I asking??? Because there's something that bothers me about the three browsers (besides Internet Exploder) that I've tried.

Firefox has an annoying, useless "Downloads complete" pop-up that can't be turned off. It also sometimes cuts downloads partway through so you can't use the resulting file.

SRWare Iron (a Chromium - which Google Chrome is based on - derivative) looked attractive at first, but some page elements don't work properly and there aren't many settings. For example, middle-clicking on something other than a plain link will either have the same effect as left-clicking, or in some cases will follow the link in both the same tab and a new tab.

And, yes, I'm trying Opera, and have already hit a major obstacle: They don't provide old versions on their site. I found older versions of the Opera browser itself here, but I'm SOL for ad blocking. I've tried Firefox 3.6, 3.6.12 (the latest version when I first used Firefox), and 3.6.28 (the last 3.6 version). I'm trying out Opera 11.64 and also have 10.63 ready to try out later. I've only tried one version of Iron (20.0.1150.1, the latest when I downloaded it). I don't know if there's an older Iron version that displays pages correctly or an older Firefox version without the useless pop-up, but waiting ages for downloads with such slow Internet isn't fun. But I already have a feeling that it's not really a question of the best browser, so much as it is a question of the least bad browser.

The other problem I found with Opera (which they admit to themselves) is that AdBlock Plus for Opera can't hide placeholders or apply filters individually to each page the way the Firefox and Chrome versions can.

In case you're wondering, I posted this from Firefox 3.6.28.

Re: Which browser is better???

Firefox and derivates (pale moon , nightly builds)

open source, lots of plugins and extensions that can be customizable, great for developers (i have several websites i coded myself that I keep improving once in a while)

Firefox has an annoying, useless "Downloads complete" pop-up that can't be turned off. It also sometimes cuts downloads partway through so you can't use the resulting file.
    oh and as for the download manager, try entering about:config into a new tab then filter by "download" keyword.

Check browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete for example.. and here's what all of those do:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/doc...er_preferences

Google Chrome : fast, less flexibility when it comes to extensions, trust it less due to everything google related, simply don't want my browser to report everything i do to google, the search results are enough.

opera.. no, every time i tried it, there were too many quirks that just didn't make sense, they didn't behave as I expected them to behave... also rendering issues/incompatibilities that made it hard for me to use it as debugging/development browser.

Safari ... other than inside Steam, no, not found it worth installing it.

Comment

Pale Moon 15.4 works like a charm for me.

Specially after these add-ons:

http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/flashblock/

http://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Comment

try entering about:config into a new tab then filter by "download" keyword.

Check browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete for example.. and here's what all of those do:
        But why did they put it THERE in the first place???

Comment

Opera
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

firefox uses huge amounts of ram but thats what i use
            opera is best for downloads
            google chrome is nice cos it has the translate button

firefox about:config is very cool but yeah its not user friendly.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I've standardized on Chrome. I tried Firefox, and it's good and all , but Chrome seems faster and more compatible with most sites I visit.
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Chrome. Fast and effective. No complaints.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Waterfox.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

I use several browsers, depending on what I need...

- Firefox 3.6.23 for majority of the browsing and/or when I will be having long browsing sessions.
                    What I like about it: stability, features, and adblock plus
                    What I do NOT like about it: long load times on first start after computer has been rebooted; auto-update enabled by default (have to make sure to turn it off on all user profiles that will be using it, otherwise it auto-updates).

- Internet Explorer 6 for long YouTube "sessions"
                    What I like about it: fast loading time; very memory efficient (close a window and memory usage drops back to what it was before you had that window open); nice square interface (I hate stupid rounded shit)
                    What I do NOT like about it: it's outdated, meaning many pages won't render properly anymore; also, no adblocking (you will need to do that with a a custom hosts file); vulnerable/exploitable (though not that it's no longer popular, I noticed that it's somewhat safer to use it)

- Opera 11 for quick browsing sessions (since it loads very quickly, just like IE6)
                    What I like about it: loads quickly like IE6; feels responsive like IE6 and renders *most* pages properly
                    What I do NOT like about it: adblock extensions are no good (take too many resources/ too slow and don't block some advertisements); renders *most* pages properly (but not all); takes a little more "getting used to" than Firefox.

And here are the browsers I do NOT like at all:
                    - IE 7/8/9... reason: slow; hog memory quickly; vulnerable/exploitable (it's IE after all ); lack of proper adblocking
                    - Chrome... reason: looks too simplified; fast but somewhat memory-intensive; and I hate those Google auto-update processes that are impossible to disable
                    - Firefox (versions newer than 3.6)... reason: more memory intensive than FF 3.6 and the memory usage is kind of all over the place (not noticeable on systems with a decent amount of RAM but highly noticeable on systems with low amount of RAM)
                    Last edited by momaka; 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Momaka, with my dinosaur 'ghetto king' i440BX PIII Tualatin I use a special version of Pale Moon for vintage hardware, 3.6.32 . It's faster than Firefox and works reasonably well even though the old carrack has only 768MB of RAM (and 128MB of these are sacrificed for a ramdisk). The browsing experience is still fairly decent nowadays, considering the age of the hardware.

Comment

Firefox Nightly.
                        Nice new download manager, blazing fast!

Comment

I used to use firefox all the time but now i find that flash games run slow on it, they work perfect on chrome which i use now.

I also use opera with the turbo function enabled because it bypasses my isp banned site list.
                          Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

Every browser has something wrong with it.

IE randomly screws up the browsing history in a way that is hard to explain. If you click on the back button twice at just the right speed, you will end up back where you started. If you want to get back to the home page, you will be able to go "back" to the page you were just on, even though it should be the next page forward.

Firefox has poor Flash performance and randomly brings the history window to the front if you leave it open. The most frequently viewed sites list that appears when you open a new tab doesn't work properly. You can open a certain page only once and it will be at the top of the list, while a website that you look at multiple times a day may never show up in the list.

Chrome sometimes decides to not load a page. It will just sit there with the loading animation spinning backwards and make no attempt to connect. The only thing you can do is wait for the connection (which never even started) to time out. Also, it automatically updates using a file named setup.exe (really legitimate sounding name ) that uses 100% CPU usage for an unreasonable amount of time.

I haven't used any other browsers, but Firefox is the best of the three.

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                              Momaka, with my dinosaur 'ghetto king' i440BX PIII Tualatin I use a special version of Pale Moon for vintage hardware, 3.6.32 . It's faster than Firefox and works reasonably well even though the old carrack has only 768MB of RAM (and 128MB of these are sacrificed for a ramdisk). The browsing experience is still fairly decent nowadays, considering the age of the hardware.
                              I consider any computer with more than 512 MB of RAM a luxury . I rarely peak above 512 MB. And just for viewing BCN forums and listening to music or office work, 384 MB is just about enough.

If I bring another computer next week to my dorm, I'll probably toy around with it and try that Palemoon browser.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                I consider any computer with more than 512 MB of RAM a luxury ...
                                Well said mister!

Comment

^
                                  Yes, I am a bit too minimalistic sometimes too .

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                                    Well said mister!

I need that shirt. Just to PO my classmates who think a D630 with 4gb of RAM is a dinosaur (they also thought it was a 2005 model, D630 is 2007-2008).
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                      I need that shirt. Just to PO my classmates who think a D630 with 4gb of RAM is a dinosaur (they also thought it was a 2005 model, D630 is 2007-2008).
                                      Should have seen my roommates' faces when they saw me bringing a 21" beige CRT in my room, along with a beige Dell QuietKey keyboard .
                                      Last edited by momaka; 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Netscape navigator 7.1 =D
                                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                        X