Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

>> According to Microsoft, sales of Vista have been picking up, with the software giant reporting 88 million units sold. <<

Apparently 86 million units were needed at Billy Joe Jim Bob's skeet range to replace the now diminishing supply of old AOL Cd's.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

I suppose sooner or later we wont have a choice as far as MS goes with buying it
      you don't seem to have much now on a new pre built boxes from the suppliers.
      (small shop white boxes not included here)
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Fortunately MS vs MAC aren't the only options in factory PC's anymore.

Last year Dell got feed up with MS refusing to supply XP in lieu of Vista for consumer level machines and on May 24 they released two desktops and a laptop with Ubuntu 7.04 Linux factory installed.
        http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7075656310.html

First time I can remember a major player has given MS the middle finger publicly over consumer level gear.
        (I've seen new HP/Compac (I think they were) laptops with some version of Linux pre-installed too but not sure if that's a standard HP option or a custom configuration for that particular retailer.)
        -
        Sends a message to MS:
        "Hey, you know that high horse you're riding? - It's legs are weaker than you think."

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Well, I'm pretty close to selling Linux based computers, if that says anything. Oh, and the ones I sell are black, not white.

After XP is gone, I'll be off the Microsoft bandwagon for good.
          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I have the Ubuntu derivative Mythbuntu installed on a media PC.

I tried the OEM option that the install disk has. This option allows you to install and configure the OS. When you are done, you run a certain program and shut the PC down. When the purchaser boots the computer for the first time, it prompts him/her to first create a user account. I think it also goes through other setup options. Real neat!

I remember seeing this on other Ubuntu install disks too.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              >> According to Microsoft, sales of Vista have been picking up, with the software giant reporting 88 million units sold. <<
              That might be true.

However, "sold" does not mean "used". I have a buddy at a State office that has been buying new machines to replace their Win98 boxes. They are stuck buying Vista boxes, which they promptly wipe down and replace with their VLK version of XP.

My buddy has been told that Microsoft is invalidating the Vista licenses if they are not registered within a specific time frame. Bye, bye $180 per license...

I have a number of clients who paid me to remove Vista from their brand new machines, and replace it with the XP that came with their now-defunct machine. So much for "88 million units sold." And not used.

Comment

Exactly.. .. Sold but not used/installed.. Or used, then discarded.
                That's what this was jokingly saying..

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                Apparently 86 million units were needed at Billy Joe Jim Bob's skeet range to replace the now diminishing supply of old AOL Cd's.
                In fact the MS numbers are probably based on those that left MS.
                No telling how many of those are sitting idle at the distributor level and have not even gone out to an end user..

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Oh, and the ones I sell are black, not white.
                  Ok OK I get it yeah

Linux on Dell I remember that story too.
                  wasn't IBM a one point doing that for some gov dept...and going to offer it as an alternative...maybe it was just talk and never came to anything

My buddy has been told that Microsoft is invalidating the Vista licenses if they are not registered within a specific time frame. Bye, bye $180 per license...
                  I have a number of clients who paid me to remove Vista from their brand new machines, and replace it with the XP that came with their now-defunct machine. So much for "88 million units sold." And not used.
                  money for nothing thats the bit that hurts I suppose

I am not sure if it was a post here or I read it somewhere but I think there was some sort of way you could use Vista lic for XP...?
                  That would be fair I suppose (but probably don't apply to OEM Vista anyway)

I could have got vista for this box but after reading of the issues and the idea of buying a V8 to then fill the boot up with bricks
                  I decided XP pro
                  although there might be a few core bits that might make it worth while, the bloatware and issues just seemed to me too much of a counter balance...from what I read of it

I really got to look at linux again
                  I have looked at RH 5.2 Yellow Dog and Ubuntu, but I really need to load up a box and learn about it properly.

"Mythbuntu" sounds interesting...guess it runs the oem setup something the like the sysprep for winxp so you get a mini setup but with software drives etc installed and ready to go.

acstech, if you do start selling Linux loaded "black" boxes let us know how it goes

Guess the hard part today is that most people have some idea how to drive windows so weening them off it (including myself here) is the hard part
                  (typical story, DOS to windows with me...well actually CP/M & basic was were I started)

well time will tell I guess
                  but roll on Linux Bill needs some real competition

Cheers
                  You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Mythbuntu is just Ubuntu that has been preconfigured with MythTV installed. It is really meant to be a PVR, so it uses the XFCE desktop. I HATE the XFCE desktop! It is very minimalistic, supposedly because you wouldn't use it much. I installed the regular Ubuntu Gnome desktop, and it is much better.

I think that all of the Ubuntu line of installation disks have the option for a OEM install. If you are setting up a new system for someone, this may be the way to go. It also gives an air of "professionalism" to the setup.

Comment

Are thanks Paul S

I guess thats the thing with Linux for consumers it needs to be easy as far as Hardware and software is concerned.

I think its getting to that level in some respects
                      but its not really the nature of the beast (Linux)

Granted Windows (in all flavors) can be a nightmare and create issues.
                      Mostly run SW package or install HW run package (or visa versa)
                      if its been done right you should never need to do anything else

The 30 different flavors of Linux don't help matters either (probably frightens people away too) and sort of puts you back to the days of CP/M and when manufactures had their own version with the own disk format to try and keep you locked to them in some respects, other respects might have require some form of licensing they didn't want to pay for.

Windows for all it faults and failing did end up becoming a standard which was really needed.

for the masses, till Linux achieves the above objectives the masses will still probably consider it a propeller head OS
                      it is changing but not quick enough to topple windows I think
                      (maybe schools should look at exposing and training students on some version of it, its not just limited to pc's in its use)

Maybe whats needed is more thinking along the lines of acstech in (potentially) offering boxes with it.
                      (there seems to be a few that are at lest thinking about it if not doing it)

unfortunately support might become a nightmare, guess this is were manufacturers of HW and software writers have got to get behind it in a big way

I don't know much of the current versions of Linux and the above is only based on what little expose I have had.

So this is just my thoughts on the situation.

Cheers

Comment

A lot of my customers, all they do is check their email, run office, and surf the internet. All of which they could do easily on most any linux distribution.

I really don't see where it would be that hard for them to learn the Gnome desktop.

That, and have you seen the available software in Fedora (or linux in general) recently?

Let me see...

Email: Thunderbird, with the Lightning calendar add-on, is IMHO as good as Outlook.
                        Office: Openoffice.org
                        Internet: Firefox. Firefox 3, currently in beta, seems to work real good.
                        Web design: Kompozer. I use it, and like it.
                        Graphics: The Gimp
                        Financial Software: GnuCash
                        Games: SuperTux and others. There's quite an extensive list in the Fedora Add/Remove software.
                        Media: Mplayer and others.

Then, if you've got a competent computer seller like me, it will all be set up before hand. They won't have to install a d***ed thing! Just sit down, let me show 'em where everything is, and start using it. Have 'em run the software updater when it reminds them, and all is well. Plus, I can ensure compatibility before assembling anything.

In fact, I'm proving out a system right now that any Linux based computers would be based on.

I really don't see why anyone would part with their money for Windows, to be honest.
                        A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I agree, windows 2k & XP are somewhat a business standard platform for many specialized business software vendors.
                          They are simply using either MS Visual Studio or may be MS Office Corporate edition to create their database driven applications.
                          And sure, those people and their customers are stuck with an OS from MS.
                          As long as Wxp is available, i think there is no big problem.
                          But Vista is an absolute nightmare, mainly due to the implementation of their crappy content protection shit.

I am sure, that there are many people, who have nothing to loose in using a preconfigured Linux system and have a lot to gain (say security, stability independent access to any content available, which certainly cease with Vista ).

Comment

know what? Vista OFFICIALLY sucks:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...annoy-you.html
                            "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Vista pukes with 0xC000000E BSOD when restored from a partition Ghost image.

The Symantec site says this bug-check is a consequence of Vista disk signatures getting lost during the Ghosting process. Evidently the only way to get around this for the moment is doing a Disk image type using the -IB and -FDSP switches. These are not allowed in partition imaging, which makes the Ghosting process pretty much useless.

I found this out the hard way with a client machine.... had it completely setup perfect, imaged the box, and killed the installation when I restored the image.

Microsoft

A whole day's work shot down the drain. Damn, but this is annoying...

Comment

Hi Bgavin!

Oh well..... That's the result of Vista's built-in mega paranoia about theft of itself. No ghosting, no cloning. They were forced to this extreme because we as users are nothing but a load of thieves.

As if that isn't bad enough, anyone who uses HD content with Vista triggers another whole level of Theft Paranoia. Hollywood has mandated that in order to play protected HD media, Microsoft (or any other vendor) must build in so much "protection" and even "tamper detection and prevention" measures that it is a surprise that Vista works at all!

V(bleep!)sta- world's most user-hostile OS.

Now Mac OS on the other hand..... you can copy the entire boot drive from within Leopard itself and have a functional copy!

Have Fun!
                                Keri
                                The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

I used to use Xp Pro VLK on my home builts, and I loved it. Now I'm not one to tinker with the OS too much because I don't know how to. The good part with Pro was that you installed it and it worked. Now that I have a bunch of old junk Dell's I use the Xp Home that they shipped with, and have no problems. MS has flushed most of the bigger bugs out of these progies with Sp2, and Sp3. Now how can Vista ME II be better than this? Well it can't. Vista has the eye candy that Buffy and Joddy want to see, and thats about it. Its a bitch to navigate around in. I burn DVD's. With all the anti pirate crap in Vista I don't think I would be able to "copy" much of anything with it. Now my brother is playing with windows 7. He likes it so far, but hell he has been on Vista for years. A good shot of Xp would blow his mind at this point. He runs 6GB of Ram in his new dell. I remember when hard drives were less than a GB! Xp is the best tool Billy has in his Toolbox and now he's putting it in the trashcan....Go Billy...You Asshole!
                                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                  Rod Serling

Comment

IT depts of corporations generally use imaging for builds. but i guess they would be using disk imaging not partition imaging.
                                    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                      IT depts of corporations generally use imaging for builds. but i guess they would be using disk imaging not partition imaging.
                                      LOL!

IT departments also generally tend to avoid V(Bleep!)sta.

There's a reason that Intel (who wrote big chunks of V(Bleep!)sta's code) won't touch it on their corporate computers.... "It's undeployable by anyone with a grain of Common Sense"! (quote: The Registry)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...el-dumps-vista

V(Bleep!)sta- Primary cause of the recent rush to Mac computers.... including mine!
                                      Keri

V(Bleep!)sta!
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiYQgxTNnt0
                                      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

I work as a contract imaging engineer, and yes they deploy by disk image. The typical IT department keeps their user profile on the server so their docs are backed up by the server process.

None of the clients use Vista for the above stated reasons, so I don't know if Zenwork imaging has the same problem as Ghost. Symantec says Ghost 8x Corporate can use two switches, and image only the disk, to avoid the Vista problem.

Jeez, I wish this damn thing would die.
                                        But it won't...
                                        Windows7 users, please feedback your gripes about this (like it will do any good). Same as Windows ME, Vista is dying an early death only to be replaced by a better effort (Win7).

We are going to be living with Win7 for a long time, same as we did with XP. This is a gut feeling from historical MS performance.

I have tweaked off all the Vista annoyances, gone back to the Vista Basic desktop scheme, and a solid color background. With sufficient tweaking, Vista is much more user friendly.

Comment

I installed Win7.
                                          So far I haven't had any problems.
                                          Is it really a new OS or just a fixed up version of Vista.

There are alot of dialog boxes that refer to vista, so it looks like there is still alot of vista in it.

It can see 4GB or ram.

I'm still installing programs , in Win7, that may not run right under vista by using the xp sp2 compatibility mode, and run as administrator.
                                          I'm also using vista64 and I haven't been having problems with that either if I install and run programs as I said above.

Comment

Working...
                                          X