This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

That sucks. Stop wasting time on the P3. Its old enough to start school in the fall. You can get something cheaper than $40. Its like a free $100 board. If I got that I would have filled it out and not bought new AMD stuff. You can also get DDR2-800 for $11 a stick shipped too.

http://www.pricewatch.com/browse/cpu/socket_775

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
      That sucks. Stop wasting time on the P3. Its old enough to start school in the fall. You can get something cheaper than $40. Its like a free $100 board. If I got that I would have filled it out and not bought new AMD stuff. You can also get DDR2-800 for $11 a stick shipped too.

http://www.pricewatch.com/browse/cpu/socket_775
      Those cheap socket 775 processors are Celeron D processors, which are old P4 NetBurst based processors and are not compatible with ratdude's new motherboard (see here: http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...rdName=DP35DP).

You can't really beat the retail Celeron 430 (heatsink/fan included) for $39.99 at Newegg, with free shipping if you're looking for the cheapest Core-based processor available. Probably that Celeron 430 will also greatly outperform ratdude's P4 630, since Core processors are much faster than old P4 NetBurst processors.

In my opinion ratdude should invest on newer technology (stuff newer than P4) when he has the money for it. He should take advantage of the cheap DDR2 RAM available these days. A freebie Intel DP35DP motherboard is very good, Intel motherboards are known to be very reliable, and the P35 chipset is still a good reliable chipset.
      Last edited by Newbie2; 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM.
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

i have a core2 celeron here cheap.
        sl9xp 1.6/800
        how bout $20?
        came in an ecs board that got a c2d as soon as i recapped it.

Comment

the p3 is my tv/music playing unit. it matches the monitor/speakers/keyboard. i love it.

no celeron for me. tuned down crap. id buy but i dont have da money. ill probably take it in to the local shop and see if they would let me run a cpu in it to see if it is any good. if you have the money for that crap, fine but i dont need it that bad, my p4 630 in a ddr board does ubuntu really well.

keri, you remember whether the msi had a usb header? i might try to re-use it since i have plenty of 256mb sticks and a replacement bracket.

me like my p3. you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip, and i feel live a veggie right now in that regard.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

no offence kc-i don't want to piss you off... - but i have something to say...

those celerons suck! 1 core with 512kb L2? SLOW!!!

time to talk with pics:

the reason i dont want to buy is i want to confirm the board is ok. i still wish they had made it p4 compatible. damn planned obsolescence...
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

The celeron may be only a 1.6ghz single core, but it is 64bit.

Comment

You have like 5 HSFs, you can OC the celeron. Someone online got it up to 3.2, I'm betting at least 2.0. So if you buy ram you can have a decent modern system for $30+/-. How much L2 cache does your P3 have? A lot of cpus have only 512 per core anyway. Local shop is going to charge way more for a CPU. You can probably sell the celeron board and cover it. I sold my old stuff to cover upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                  no offence kc-i don't want to piss you off... - but i have something to say...

time to talk with pics:

the reason i dont want to buy is i want to confirm the board is ok. i still wish they had made it p4 compatible. damn planned obsolescence...
                  i see you have not gotten to play with core based celerons.
                  yes the netburst ones were slow.
                  this s-spec is supposed to be a good overclocker too.
                  looks like i just got a spare ecs board to put it in.
                  starter system for someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                    Its another day and I still have not gotten anymore free stuff.
                    That's nothing. I haven't gotten any free stuff for a month or two now .
                    Maybe I just don't know where to look??... whatever, I don't have the space anyways .
                    ----
                    Yesterday I got an okay deal on a new router since my old D-Link DI-614+ is still not fixed (anybody else besides me feel extra lazy this month ?). Basically a friend of mine switched ISPs and was given a modem/router combo so he didn't need his old Netgear mr814v2. He was going to give it to me for free but when we went to watch a movie later, I decided to pay for the tickets.
                    I just finished setting it up today. Haven't tested the wireless, but the wired connection seems to be working fine. Wireless has the older 802.11b stuff, but I don't mind.

Originally posted by ratdude747
                    What's wrong with 512KB cache? One of my computers has an AMD Duron 1.4GHz with 96KB L2 cache . I haven't noticed much of a difference with regular use and even older games work just fine on it.

Comment

Netgear mr814 is a good router. I had a v3 a few years back, it was rock solid.

Comment

look, i just dont like celerons. makes me fell like a loser. i also feel that if i have a nice board, i should have a good cpu to go on it. let me get it tested and i will reply when i know if it actually runs.

besides, its an intel board. no OCing will work on it. no oc software in linux either.

and i only have 667mhz ddr2, one stick 512mb. not much.
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 08-13-2009, 02:43 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

^
                          Do your research on cellies back in the olden days. With the right setup, they would beat the hell out of P2's and P3's performance-wise of their time. They were overclocking GODS and were the first to have full speed caches. The classic 300A that would run at a guaranteed 450, and outperform the miserably overpriced crown jewel of Intel, the P3 450 in every aspect....yea, that was a junk CPU, huh.... It cost less than 1/3 the regular CPU and would outperform it with stock cooling and no modifications whatsoever.

Cellies today are still a fine CPU for general use.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

I have a old Abit BX6 that I still stored away a long time ago, used to have a 266 celeron slot 1, it ran fine at 400mhz, and was quite fast with win 2000.

The caps on the BX6 are interesting, I've never seen one with bad caps, and they have all had these "En" caps.

Comment

Free Score????
                              Well the replacement aiternator came in today to replace the one I bought last year. It feels sort of free right now because the shock of paying 2X the normal price to get the lifetime warrenty has worn off. Wonder how long this one will live and if it will even work at all right out of the box.
                              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                              Rod Serling

Comment

These are fairly recent "scores", either free or free+shipping:

Abit AN8-32X Has one dead PCIe x16 slot (the upper one), so no SLI, but otherwise works perfectly.. Included I/O plate and the other misc crap that can be hard to find.

Tyan S2895. basically paid shipping.. I figured if i couldn't get it working, i could pull the heatsinks and use it for an awesome wall hanging.. When i got it, i tested it with a single CPU and one DIMM, board would work for a while, then just die.. Which was how it was listed, so i wasn't suprised.. Probing the voltages while running, and after it would die indicated that both Vdimm and Vcore were turning "off", which of course is going to result in a nasty crash. So i put it on the shelf for a while, and at a later time a month or two later i decide to mess with it again.. Still has same issue, but i tested it the same way with one CPU and DIMM.. Added the second CPU retention mech, cpu, and DIMM, to get smp config with NUMA support..

Obviously the board works better, as with one CPU it would only run for maybe an hour before Vdimm and Vcore would die, resulting in crash.. With two CPU's, i had ran it for over 96 hours with no issues..

I figure that this board dates from early RoHS times, when Tyan was first switching over, or hadn't mastered the lead free solder yet.. Board is cold, works fine for a while, before thermal expansion results in a solder joint not connecting on a critical part, which makes the board shut CPU and Vdimm off.

Having only one CPU mounted flexes the board unevenly somehow, which results in the VRM fault, and the fact that the board has to cool back down before you can get it to POST again.. Having both CPU's installed must balance the flex somehow, or just stiffens the board up, resulting in a presumably stable system.. I haven't done a prime95 test on it yet though. Either way, i have a working board or a nice wall hanging..

36G WD raptor.. Friend gave it to me a while back, now using as a boot drive on a different S940 box, for ESXi.

Bought a bunch of Dell SCSI RAID cards, Adaptec SCSI cards, and Intel NIC's, for like $50 or so.. There were at least three or four Dell PERC raid cards, three or four Adaptec SCSI cards, mostly 160M series, and Intel Pro series NICs..

Pair of Compaq PCI-X Gigabit NICs, like $25 for both, nice broadcom chipsets, work perfect in ESXi..

Comment

a friend just gave me an asus am2 board with a dualcore in it.get this...blown panasonic fj caps.i told him i could poly it and make it better than new but this was his excuse to go to a quad.
                                  he also gave me a kenwood tm-742 with the 220 module.only thing i see wrong with it is the display lights are all out.i might just install white leds in it tonight.
                                  its the real score.still sought after and not cheap.2m,70cm,and 220 in one rig.

Comment

my friend finally gave up on his dell dimension L933r. it would only run and hour then die, and now it would do nothing. he said it had pad caps. i open it up to find 2 nicicon pm caps, looking fine and a bunch of sanyo oscon polys. power supply was a hipro made unit with teapo caps, still good.

i think i found the problem. he wasa using a cooler so tiny it would be good for maybe a k6-2 or a celeron. he was pushing the stock pIII 933. i bet the cooling was forcing the cpu to shut down. i tested the cpu in another machine and it seemed to work. for now, i put in my celeron 766 66mhz fsb and 2 stix of pc133 265mb. added a cd drive and it actualy works like a charm.

the only bad news out of this is that junk parts will be a bit mad as i said he'd get the cooler off this tiny thing. he'll have to wait while i got to the local shop and find another cooler. not much clearance in it but maybe a rackmount cooler might be helpful here... we will see...

since the friend tried to make it live as long as he could, i should do the same with its new lease on life.
                                    sigpic

Comment

I use to have a L866r I got for free. They are good little computers, pretty fast and well made. Cooling is a bit of a issue with them. I remember mine always had troubles keeping cool.

I put a higher cfm fan in the psu. I can't remember what size it takes, not that big.

Comment

Junk Parts isn't mad over a CPU cooler. Junk Parts is mad because his new alternater can only put ot 12.2 volts. It should be up around 14.3. Going to load test the battery today just to see if a cell has failed.
                                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                        Rod Serling

Comment

Picked a release revision iBook (orange)...actually, more like two units I cobbled together. Runs OS9 quite well.
                                          Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Working...
                                          X