Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Chinese Cap Meter

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Capac...QQcmdZViewItem

Any thoughts on this? How are Chinese ripoffs for electronics these days? Wonder what the caps are like?

Seems like the original item is marketed by Accu-Labs in America.

Re: Cheap Chinese Cap Meter

I hear the Chinese make excellant capacitors, soooooo...........

Comment

Just make sure you recap it first.
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Not to play devil's advocate, but most all the common brands of caps we see bad are made in taiwan....but since china always proudly boasts that taiwan is a republic of china, I guess it doesn't matter then.....heh
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

This reminds me of the Ebay Chinese Hakko Soldering Iron ripoffs that reputedly fell over after a few months of use.

However, electronics may just be OK??? I have bought Red Cable Testers before which were quite OK.

Guess I am just hoping that if I do buy this gift horse, it is not going to make me look like a donkey!

Comment

Well, the Chinese heating elements are not up to the Japanese endurance eand quality, but you can buy a e.g. Aoyue soldering station and put in a japanese heating element and you get a very good & cheap soldering station.
            To be honest, the China made replacemnet heating element ist not that expensive.....so for an hobbyist and semi pro it should be the middle route befor to geht in finaciall trouble due to spending to mutch money on soldering items.

Regarding this capacitance meter, i have no doubth that it is ok for practical use, i think most of sutch tools are today made in China, even if a other Brand ist printed on the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo2_000
              This reminds me of the Ebay Chinese Hakko Soldering Iron ripoffs that reputedly fell over after a few months of use.

However, electronics may just be OK??? I have bought Red Cable Testers before which were quite OK.

Guess I am just hoping that if I do buy this gift horse, it is not going to make me look like a donkey!
              Were you referring to the Quakko ones? I had a good laugh at those, since I use a Hakko at work, and I noticed that even the tips were the same part numbers

Though isn't Hakko made in China too?

Comment

Can't remember the names. Sound like carbon copies from what you are saying though. No patent protection in China?

Genuine Vs Ripoff (Blue Label)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Neo2_000; 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Took the plunge into China for A$40. The real question now is, what lies behind the blue sticker?

From what I can gather, these units seem to be manufactured by the Handsun Corporation in China and rebadged for various distributors, even American ones.

I can find no evidence that the American unit is manufactured in the USA.

Comment

Got the meter and have been playing testing it out.

Seems good enough and no blue sticker despite the picture!

Tested about a dozen DS brand 1000uF caps. They ranged from 200uF to 2000uF and climbing after which some open circuited!

You really gain an appreciation of why motherboards go crazy when they are subject to that kind of variation.

Comment

If you are looking for a good capacitor tester get Sencore LC102 or LC103.

Otherwise get ESR meter MUL-3333, its around $40 and do the job like the ones that cost $300.

Comment

Working...
                      X