Resoldering a BGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resoldering a BGA

Anyone attempted to repair a lose BGA chip with a hot air gun?

Is it even possible or am I wasting my time even trying - the chip has a lose connection or two that can be 'cured' by pushing on the top, and, as a last resort, I was thinking of attempting to reflow it.

Worth a go or not?

Re: Resoldering a BGA

Sounds risky. A normal gun would probably damage components or melt the solder in more places than you'd like. If you had something that could push hot air through a nozzle the size of a needle, then I would think it's worth a shot. Otherwise, it seems like guaranteed destruction. Fun way to destroy some dead boards though

Comment

Can't hurt trying if it's dead anyway :P

Get some aluminum foil (the stuff used in cooking etc) and make a square hole for the chip, so you direct the heat towards the chip only...
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Someone successfully resoldered a BGA chip here:

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...b=5&o=&fpart=1

I have a Geforce 6600GT that I need to try this on, I'm pretty sure that solder is the problem, since the fan had stopped and the GPU overheated. It puts random garbage on the screen, and goes back to normal after moving the card around a bit.
        Last edited by Maxxarcade; 09-23-2007, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X