Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goot PX-201

Folks,

After putting up with shit Radiocrap soldering irons, I finally got a decent Goot PX-201 from Bomir. It was more of a necessity as I ruined a PCB today (f!$!%ing hell!). $57.xx shipped for it + a replacement tip.
    http://www.bomir.com/online/?sub=441

I'm curious to see how well the temperature controller on the pencil works. What sealed the deal for me was the 70W output and the 450 C max (a bit low for recapping..but anything else is out of my budget). It's a bonus that it comes with some sort of temperature adjustment. I'm not sure if it is feedback controlled or not..

Any other Goot guys here?

Some info:
    * High Output Ceramic Heater (70Watts)
    * Lead Free Compatible due to large high output heater.
    * Accurate control of the tip temperature: There is a temperature control in the handle for easy adjustment.
    * Ergonomic Handpiece Grip.
    * Light and comfortable to use in the field or on the workbench.
    * Wide variety of tips available.
    * Heat insulation cap for quick storage for field technicians.
    * Power Monitor Lamp to indicate when power is on.

Voltage : 110-130, 220-240V AC 50/60Hz
    Power Consumption: 70W
    Temperature Setting Range: 250-450 °C
    Insulation Resistance (500V DC): Over 100MΩ
    Temperature Control System: Sensor Feedback ( ON-OFF Control)
    Length: 210mm (w/o cord bushing)
    Weight: Approx. 90g (w/o cord)

Last edited by Super Nade; 07-26-2007, 04:39 PM. Reason: Added specs
    Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
    Zippy GSM-6600P
    Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
    Abit IP35Pro
    ATi HD4870

Re: Goot PX-201

Looks nice I've never heard of Goot myself.

I doubt you'll find 450C too low though if you've got 70W behind it. I currently use a 48W that goes up to 420C and I've never needed that higher than about 400C, just don't make the mistake of using a really small pointed tip... use something like a 5mm and it stays hot while you wait for the solder to melt.

Comment

goot's stuff is excellent
      but i think you would be better served with the 2mm chisel tip PX-2RT-2D
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I should have gotten the 5mm replacement instead of the extra 0.3mm. Most of my work is with PCB touch-ups (I have to do this after ruining my laser's servo-lock board with the God-damn POS $15 Radiocrap iron...man I'm pissed today).

Goot have piss poor distribution in the US. But those in the Oceania region i.e Aussies and Kiwis have widespread access.

Edit#
        Willa, would you prefer tip-tinning compound over tinning mesh? Any maintainence suggestions?
        Last edited by Super Nade; 07-26-2007, 04:59 PM.
        Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
        Zippy GSM-6600P
        Abit IP35Pro
        ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey
          I've never heard of Goot myself.
          Goot is another japanese company like Hakko. Unfortunately they have poor distribution and promotion around the world for such good products but there are distributors around. Hakko is better promoted.

Comment

Willa, would you prefer tip-tinning compound over tinning mesh? Any maintainence suggestions?
            i was using some of this periodically
            http://www.goot.co.jp/ENGLISH/catalo...chemi/BS2.html

but really i just tin the tip with solder and try to keep it clean while working with wet sponge. takes a lot of soldering to mess up good tips but in the end just get a new tip.

its good to use one tip for pcbs and keep it nice, then have another for various other general messy jobs like audio cables, electrical.

Comment

Copy that. I'm keeping one for the PCB's. My next order will probably be a full complement of replacement tips along with the tinning compound you suggested. Thanks man.
              Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
              Zippy GSM-6600P
              Abit IP35Pro
              ATi HD4870

Comment

that iron has a ceramic heater. make sure you dont drop it from a height otherwise you break it

Comment

Copy that. I was scanning through the other offerings and I came across a "lead free soldering iron". How the hell is it different from any other iron? I always thought the solder is what matters...Can I use this pencil with lead-free solder?
                  Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                  Zippy GSM-6600P
                  Abit IP35Pro
                  ATi HD4870

Comment

Goot is a brand of Taiyo Electric Industries Ltd., Japan - they're among the best of the inexpensive (<$10) plain-old soldering irons in the market.

Lead-free solder usually has a higher melting point, so you'll need a hotter/higher-powered iron. The tip also needs to be resistant to dissolving in tin, if it's a high-tin solder. Many metal tips are copper, clad with a thin layer of iron/nickel - these will corrode rapidly with high-tin solders. Goot's ceramic tips are among the best I've seen for high-tin solders - they don't corrode, and they're easily cleaned with a soft sponge or similar when hot.

Comment

It arrived yesterday and I'm in love with it. The grip is very comfortable and just as the manual states, cool down time is approximately 3min. How do I benchmark this against the shit Radiocrap iron I have?
                      Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                      Zippy GSM-6600P
                      Abit IP35Pro
                      ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey
                        Looks nice I've never heard of Goot myself.
                        wait, what?

moving on.

I bought myself a nice Duratech copy of a Hakko station recently for ~$90. It's not fancy, but it heats up real quick and is plenty hot enough. 50W, 480c max, ceramic element. Just wish i could find a better (read "bigger") tip for it. Using it on anything but tiny boards right now is like knitting with a sewing needle.

Originally posted by Super Nade
                        It arrived yesterday and I'm in love with it. The grip is very comfortable and just as the manual states, cool down time is approximately 3min. How do I benchmark this against the shit Radiocrap iron I have?
                        You don't. It's like being beaten as a child. You take your lessons from the painful memories and move on; now the healing can start.
                        Last edited by Kaine; 10-10-2007, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X