Used Scope Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Scope Recommendations?

I think I'm ready to add an Oscilloscope to my work bench. Can anyone recommend a nice used model to look for? My main interests are power supplies and audio right now, but I'd like something with a bit of room to grow. I'd like to go into Electrical Engineering at some point, when I'm far enough along in my studies!

Re: Used Scope Recommendations?

Brands:

1) Tektronix - just about any model.
    2) Kikusui

Comment

I love Tektronix, but two models to avoid are the TDS 210 and TDS 220. Both have a common problem that makes one of the two channels unusable. The problem is not fixable (obsolete models, custom part that is not available). Other models are fine; the TDS (and THS) series models all have a similar user interface. Among handhelds, Tek's THS 7x0 models and Fluke's 190 series are pretty cool; the Fluke 90 series is pretty good too.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

IMO, you need to define a budget then hang out on ebay for awhile to get a good idea what that'll fetch... especially late at night, auctions ending in the wee hours can get you an incredible deal sometimes.

Comment

This may be overkill, but I am now the proud owner of two oscilloscopes.

One is a Tektronix 453 (acquired locally for a song). The other is an eBay special(powers up/no way to test/no guarantee) Tektronix 7603 with 7A22 and 7B53A plugins. It works, but I'm still debugging power supply issues. Here's the irony: I've nailed the problems down to bad caps, and a couple of fried transistors. It also has a bad case of dust contamination.

The 453 is in better shape, and works a treat after cleaning the nuvistor sockets in the vertical input preamplifier. I just need to clean up the front panel and lube the cooling fan. It's been quite useful in debugging the 7603.

Comment

I just bought a Tektronix 2465 for $25 (yay me). Its old and I'm sure could use a good going through, but how important is getting it calibrated if I use it for diagnostic/repair kinda stuff? It seems to work fine.

Comment

I'd be careful with that 2465 scope repair wise its a death trap those scopes use custom Large Scale Integrated ICs that Tektronix doesn't manufacure anymore.

Thats why I stick with my trusty Tek 475 the only scope you don't have to be a rocket scientist to fix .

As far as calibration thats up to you. If you are using the scope and require time accuracy or an accurate voltage display then calibration is a must.

However if you're just using it to check pulses to the MOSFETs gate on switchers and observing waveforms then calibration isn't necessary.

As a general rule though the scope should be checked out to see just how accurate it is and then you can make a decision on calibration.

Can't beat that price for a working scope though .
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-16-2007, 09:41 AM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
              X