LCD TVs now plagued by bad caps issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD TVs now plagued by bad caps issues

Cheap Chinese crap at it again. LCD TV's are the latest ones afflicted.

http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20080902PD213.html

Sources at passive component distributors indicated that a relatively high ratio of maintenance is being required for LCD TVs that are made in China. A look at the components inside the TVs show that problematic aluminum electrolytic capacitors installed on the controller board may be the major reason, they explained.

The sources indicated that there seems to be more LCD TVs having factory maintenance problems recently, especially for China brands and systems that were subcontracted to China-based makers for production. Some of these LCD TVs have even been recalled. But they said it is hard to estimate a concrete figures for the amount of TVs that have such problems.

A major issue may stem from the aluminum electrolytic capacitors that are installed in these LCD TVs' controller boards, the sources noted. Given that LCD TVs have higher requirements for audio processing, some passive component makers which opt for cheaper aluminum electrolytic capacitors have found the capacitors vaporize too fast. This eventually either causes unclear image or no image, the sources said. Most of these LCD TVs have been shipped to the market for less than one year, they added.

Despite solid aluminum electrolytic capacitors or other aluminum electrolytic capacitors being replaced, the sources noted that demand for these two components should not see a critical jump in the near term. Demand from maintenance can hardly compare to a demand surge that was driven by a market changing event such as the launch of the 775-pin Intel CPU in 2005.
    Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
    Zippy GSM-6600P
    Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
    Abit IP35Pro
    ATi HD4870

Re: LCD TVs now plagued by bad caps issues

LCD TVs are already sweltering (passively cooled) deserts as is but lets stress them further by using crap caps.

Not a real shocker if China has no problem falsifying power output on power supplies, falisfying passports for 10 year old girls, and lip syncing their national anthem. Knowingly using crap caps seems minor .

I believe it was revealed in another thread that not only are the electrolytes to blame but also in some cases the purity of the aluminum manufacured for the plates can be an issue as well.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-02-2008, 07:30 AM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I hope my Viewsonic N4785p 47" 1080p LCD HDTV isn't affected. It still works perfectly.
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Pity there are no pics to depict the carnage. I can't believe that some idiot of an OEM would use crap caps for such an expensive device...
        Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
        Zippy GSM-6600P
        Abit IP35Pro
        ATi HD4870

Comment

Viewsonic [in LCD monitors at least] seems to like Elite brand caps.
          Elite are crap.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Well hell....looks like I need to open up my Viewsonic..
            Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
            Zippy GSM-6600P
            Abit IP35Pro
            ATi HD4870

Comment

not a new problem.
              veiwsonic and samsung are both known for cheap sm lytics that get baked dry.
              i get lots of lcd and plasma sets here that have cap issues.

Comment

Those large Visio's were so cheaply priced, I wondered why?
                This could be the answer.
                My business is flat panel screens on yachts, where I see mostly the Sharp Aquos,
                but also Panasonic.
                These have a triple whammy, heat, vibration, and salt water, to kill them.
                Many new screens are in cars now, which is also very hot and subject to vibration.
                Then there are the kids in the back that puke on them.
                The screens are displaying everything
                from navigation to rear view, radar, sonar, DVD, and even Sat TV,
                and a hot item for me,
                XM Weather.
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
                  Those large Visio's were so cheaply priced, I wondered why?
                  This could be the answer.
                  My business is flat panel screens on yachts, where I see mostly the Sharp Aquos,
                  but also Panasonic.
                  These have a triple whammy, heat, vibration, and salt water, to kill them.
                  Many new screens are in cars now, which is also very hot and subject to vibration.
                  Then there are the kids in the back that puke on them.
                  The screens are displaying everything
                  from navigation to rear view, radar, sonar, DVD, and even Sat TV,
                  and a hot item for me,
                  XM Weather.
                  Since these LCD's are so popular and easily damaged and such , is there any allowance made to trade the old screens in on new ones? What is the cost , for customers who want to replace a 40 or 50" lcd screen , just for the panel without the backlight?

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                    LCD TVs are already sweltering (passively cooled) deserts as is but lets stress them further by using crap caps.

Not a real shocker if China has no problem falsifying power output on power supplies, falisfying passports for 10 year old girls, and lip syncing their national anthem. Knowingly using crap caps seems minor .

I believe it was revealed in another thread that not only are the electrolytes to blame but also in some cases the purity of the aluminum manufacured for the plates can be an issue as well.
                    CRAP CAPS :

It's really no surprise that crap caps exist seeing as you could very easily sell 2nd rate caps for $1 each , and replace them all for $2 each and make millions on a large capacitor order from "any" supplier. While they are all hidden inside of a component box . A Million Bucks In A Box Alright. Money makes money. If you know the electronics well enough , it's like selling a friend your best "old" worn out car battery for say a : $50 quick fix , when you were sneaky enough to have charged the hell out of it the night before he picked it up on a Saturday. Sneaky is the observation I think of whenever I am dealing with Oriental's for some reason - but not all are alike. Some hate them just as much as we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
                      Cheap Chinese crap at it again. LCD TV's are the latest ones afflicted.

http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20080902PD213.html

I'm not fussy on Crucial Memory but , what is Curcial Memory like in the Ballistic Model?

Comment

Hello.

I'm new here.

My name is Keri.

Anyhow, I have a Viewsonic LCD TV also.
                        It's becoming unstable, with an OSD that responds to remote input with no changes in audio output. Also, when switching to HDMI there is often a loud static noise that can only be stopped by powering the set off, then on.

Having seen (and heard of) bad capacitors in PCs, I thought I'd have a look inside.....
                        Elite. All over the place. All looked OK with no bulging. Having a small collection of low ESR Rubycons, Nichicons and NCC caps, I was able to recap the larger capacitors on the controller board. I had to order the Power supply board ones. Somehow I got CapXon in my head. Maybe some in the PSU? I'll find out when the new ones come in.

The set is behaving itself after having replaced the Elite 1000uf / 16v EL caps on the controller board... so far.

I am not highly qualified in circuit design but I thing I might have fixed it!

Keri
                        And her ever-increasing large pile of bad caps
                        The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

CapXon has been doing well in PC PSUs. (Teapo too for that matter.)

I think (as in 'suspect' with no basis in fact at all) that Teapo and CapXon cleaned up their act after the bad electrolyte fiasco.
                          I don't usually see bad Teapo or CapXon except on stuff older than ~2003/2004 or so.

Elite is another story.
                          Just replace them all and save having to open it up again later.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane

Comment

Scenic
                              Yes it's a girl.
                              Get a grasp on your pocket protector.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane

Keri

Originally posted by Scenic
                                Last edited by 4tified; 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

This is turning into an episode of 'Big Bang Theory'.
                                  Where Penny outsmarts the dweebs again.
                                  Very funny program, :
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDhMoohB2oA
                                  Jim

Comment

@ Scenic: why are you surprised?
                                    Never been into a faculty of engineering, maths or physics? Chances are a small group of all students (less than 50%, mostly in the 10-30% range) are women, but they're usually more determinated and achieve better results and higher grades than the average male student.
                                    Keri recapping an LCD monitor doesn't wonder me more than my old and present school mates studying with me.

@ Keri: welcome.
                                    I agree with PCBONEX about Elite caps: simply badcaps to replace. Anyway I think Capxons are fine for psus but not good enough for bad cooled LCD screens, at least according to the report of a Viewsonic VP930B, age 2005-06, with leaking Capxon. Better stick with reputable brands: Rubycon, Nichicon, United Chemicon, Panasonic and such.

Zandrax
                                    Have an happy life.

Comment

Something tells me I will be seeing an influx of LCD tv's in the trash soon.
                                      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by zandrax
                                        @ Scenic: why are you surprised?
                                        Never been into a faculty of engineering, maths or physics? Chances are a small group of all students (less than 50%, mostly in the 10-30% range) are women, but they're usually more determinated and achieve better results and higher grades than the average male student.
                                        Keri recapping an LCD monitor doesn't wonder me more than my old and present school mates studying with me.

@ Keri: welcome.

Zandrax
                                        Thank You Zandrax!

Speaking as one of two women in a 22 person department specializing in highly technical work....
                                        I suspect that you're right. We wouldn't be there in the first place if we weren't very determined. And well-studied. My friend and co-worker Lora is equally determined and very bright.
                                        Personally I've been studying electricity and electronics very hard for a long time. Ever since my father had our broken TV set all in pieces when I was 6 to replace a burned-out picture tube. (He worked as a Chemist in a picture tube factory and was himself studying electronics).

I've read literally hundreds of books and scoured the Internet in my never-ending quest to understand what is really going on with electricity and electronics. I acquired my feeble skills through sheer determination rather than natural inclination. "Feeble"? Yes, because for the amount of study I've done I should have a much greater understanding than I do.

Soldering in a few capacitors is easy. Understanding how the circuit behaves and what its intended function is... is hard.
                                        I came across the BadCaps plague (and BadCaps.net) because of a fellow member in the abit forum name Trodas. He demonstrated a deep understanding of electronic circuit design that absolutely astonished me and probably surpasses the skill of the engineers that designed the device he was referring to.

Up to 5 recapped monitors!
                                        Keri

PS. ARRRGGGHHHH! My webcam make my nose look SUNBURNT!
                                        Attached Files
                                        The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Working...
                                        X