• Time
  • Show
Clear All

new apple studio display uses capxon caps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pdPq2eGrUs

capxon is top quality?

Re: new apple studio display uses capxon caps

Who said Apple is top quality?
    It is top price, has nothing to do with quality!
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      Yup, price =/= quality.

Just like "high end" audiophoolery, with sloppy wiring & cheep components, crApple is all about perception.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

CapXon is unavoidable. I can only hope that their quality has improved, but I doubt it.

On top of that, the design of this monitor is insane. What are they doing with a full iPhone SoC and such a large power supply? I guess they're reusing the SoC as a video scaler and the backlight will burn everyone's eyes.

Comment

i mean generally apple products are superior to the competition, or overengineered.
          they use high quality materials everywhere else.

I don't think they'd risk their reputation saving a few pennies on capxon instead of the japanese brands.

maybe capxon has improved.

these are 22uf 450v, must be custom made for apple in this pencil size

Comment

They are definitely not superior, and over-engineering is a bad thing. Who the hell puts fans in a monitor? That's completely retarded. Might as well get a CRT if you like noises coming from your monitor.

Comment

Apple is not a "product" anymore, it's marketed as a "lifestyle" or a cult!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                ^This, apple makes some of the lowest quality most poorly built garbage out there (and has for a long time) and charges a premium for it (and people are dumb enough to buy it).

Originally posted by link626 View Post
                i mean generally apple products are superior to the competition, or overengineered.
                they use high quality materials everywhere else.
                They may have largely used quality materials, but they've had piss-poor build quality and "engineering" for a long time. I wouldn't consider products that are largely held together with tape and glue, and have glaring design flaws (cracking hinges, failed keyboards, poor thermal design, etc. on their laptops and in general it seems the quest for "thin and light" has led to materials too thin/weak to do the job and poor thermal design and overheated or overloaded components seems to be a running theme among their products, phones that don't work if you don't hold them a certain way, etc.) as "top quality".

Originally posted by stj View Post
                ^This, Apple is definitely a "cult" at this point, and their brainless drones are more than happy to buy whatever overpriced shiny turd they crank out next. Much of their user base also seems to be perfectly accepting of a 2-3 year lifecycle (or less) for their products, so capxon caps probably won't be an issue for most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by link626 View Post

I don't think they'd risk their reputationsize
                  I think it is a Planned obsolescence.
                  marketers want customers to update their gadgets more often

Comment

Apple already has the cult who thinks it's cool to constantly buy new stuff (and create e-waste as a consequence), so there isn't any need to force products to fail. It's just a company being cheap because the average product life is shorter than the life of CrapXons. I see the same thing in appliances because of the HGTV renovation stuff.

The power supply was almost certainly contracted out to someone else, and nobody paid attention to the quality of the parts. The power supply manufacturer probably thinks all cap brands are the same, and Apple just slaps the board in the monitor. I've seen that happen in applications that need higher reliability than a consumer product.

It's possible that this 265W power supply (at least that's what I think it says - the video is out of focus) is mostly for Thunderbolt or USB-C power delivery instead of the backlight drawing 250W at full brightness.

Apple's quality problems aren't anything new in the consumer market. It's just that Apple products are more expensive than products with similar quality. I still say that Apple's keyboards last longer than the average consumer laptop keyboard (yes, even the "butterfly" keyboard that was failing in less than one year).

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      For once you and I are on the same page of what is considered a 'cult'

Apple does have one big advantage over windows/PC and that is software for connecting to other apple devices. My sister has a iphone, macbook and ipad and they easily share information, and communicate texts immediately between them.
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                      X