Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soyo SY-7VBA133U recap

Hi guys,
    I'm going to recap this baby. I found it dumped in the street years ago, and now it's time has come. I remember having tested it and it posted back then.

Original caps are bulged and look nasty. All are SACON
    11 x 1000uF 10v
    12 x 1500uF 10v
    1 x 470uF 16v
    11 x 22uF 25v
    1 x 10uF 25v

The smaller ones look fine. Should I replace them too?

I read on another forum that I could replace the 1500uF caps with 2200uF caps. Is that so?
    The thing is I could get Sanyo 2200uF or Capxon 1500uF (or Jackon 1500uF).

Since there's not a broad offer of caps where I live, I was wondering, what's best.

All the help is highly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by rattlesnake; 04-10-2022, 07:23 AM.

Re: Soyo SY-7VBA133U recap

u can use 1500uF - 2200uF replace

Comment

You shouldn't have any trouble finding adequate 1500uF caps close to the originals....but 2200uF will be fine in their place. Just compare specs and make sure the ESR is within a reasonable amount to the originals (you didn't mention what series Sanyo's you're using) and that anything you put in there is 105*c temp rated. If you do use the Sanyo's, WG series is probably what they are if you're harvesting them from some other junk board....and they'll be fine.

The 22uF and 10uF should be ok. All the others, replace them!
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

dont replace the junk sacon caps with more junk caps like capxon and jackon if u want the system to last a long time! the board u have is a chipset that has p3 tualatin support with agp, pci and isa slots so its highly valuable and is worth over US$100++ on ebay currently. soyo was the top mobo brand back in the days during the p2 and p3 era, though their boards in the late p3 and early p4 era fell to the cap plague like the one u have. they should be fine after a proper recap.

i suggest u drop in more $$ to get proper jap caps if u want to repair this board properly. try getting your caps from rs components argentina. rs components often stocks panasonic fr and fs caps which are great 10k hour rated, very low esr caps for recapping p3 boards. other alternative jap caps are chemicon kzm series and rubycon zlh series. both are also 10k hour rated, very low esr caps.

do NOT power on the board until u replace the caps. the focked caps can/might kill the board irreversibly and permanently...
        Originally posted by rattlesnake View Post
        I read on another forum that I could replace the 1500uF caps with 2200uF caps. Is that so?
        u can if u want to overclock. p3 boards typically only use one or two power phases for the cpu so the added capacitance will improve stability particularly during overclocking. u can use 2200uF caps if u want. the key thing here is to make sure they are the same size (diameter and height) as the original so as to not cause issues like cpu heatsink clearance issues etc. e.g. caps they are too fat or tall will interfere with other nearby adjacent components or block the cpu heatsink from being installed.

Comment

Thank you everybody for your help.

I did a very delicate recapping job.

The sad news is that the motherboard doesn't work. Some component could have been damaged when I powered it on back when I found it (it already had bulged caps). Although I barely tested it. Or maybe someone discarded it back then because it was already damaged.

I got it to post once and it only showed "BIOS checksum error"

Which is false, because I manually programmed the eeprom with the latest BIOS.
          Anyway I tried with a different eeprom. Made sure the pins are making good contact. The same story.

I tried different CPUs and different memories. It doesn't want to post.
          With a diagnostics card I can see it progresses a bit sometimes but barely. With most CPU/memory combinations it stays at C1.

I tried baking it to no avail.

Is there anything left to try? I guess I could find replacements for some other electrical components if that could get it to revive.

I'd appreciate some guidance.

Overall it's been fun but disappointing (so far). I really wish I could get it back to life.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X