Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alienware M17x R4 no power, low resistance 5v/3.3v to GND

Originally posted by maxslo View Post
    Edit: on working laptop the resistance to ground measured on PL11 was actually 0ohm when the laptop was turned on o.O how can it be dead shorted to ground.
    If you measured resistance while power was applied to board you will get erroneous reading and may appear as 0 ohm.
    Last edited by Spider1211; 09-24-2020, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Ok, good to know then, i thought there must be something wrong with the reading, there is no way it could be shorted and still at 5V

Comment

remove D26 and make a jumper from R262 to power button Pin 4 I have solved 1 issue in Acer through bypass 51on logic
        Attached Files
        Last edited by qayyum786; 09-24-2020, 07:24 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

since dellxps has found that his board powers on with 19v on the power button, i don't think this is the issue, however i can try it if there are no other options.

@dellxps15 do you have voltage at PL10 and PL11 when in off state?

Comment

as i told before 3.3, 5volt and bios volts comes only after i press power botton

Comment

Weird that there is such a difference between r3 and r4... Ok i'll give the jumper wire a try.

Comment

Weird that there is such a difference between r3 and r4... Ok i'll give the jumper wire a try.
                wait before make a jump wire.... 3.3 and 5 volt should come even if we have 19 volt on power botton.

check all 3.3-5 volt ic contact and pins before do anything, because i read u worked on that area.

on some post over i posted if u have 3.3 volt on mosfet near kbc...

read post #18
                Last edited by dellxps15; 09-24-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Yeah all contacts are ok, but i have all 4 fets off and both coils and caps, i'll first put those back since we figured that 15ohm is ok as the r3 board has 15ohm too,

I replied to #18 in #20

Comment

Ok, I've put everything back together, the PQ7 is 19V just like you said.

Measurements on the PU4 are:
                    1: 0V
                    2: 0V
                    3: 2V
                    4: 2V
                    5: 0V
                    6: 0V
                    7: 0V
                    8: 3.3V
                    9: 4.54V
                    10: 0V
                    11: 0V
                    12: 0V
                    13: 3.13V
                    14: 2V
                    15: 0V (GND)
                    16: 19.5V
                    17: 5V
                    18: 0V (NC)
                    19: 0V
                    20: 0V
                    21: 0V
                    22: 4.54V
                    23: 0V
                    24: 0V

@dellxps15, i've checked the EC_ON line from KB930 at PQ62, all 3 pins measure 0V, does that sound ok?

Comment

Ok, I've put everything back together, the PQ7 is 19V just like you said.

Measurements on the PU4 are:
                      1: 0V
                      2: 0V
                      3: 2V
                      4: 2V
                      5: 0V
                      6: 0V
                      7: 0V
                      9: 4.54V
                      10: 0V
                      11: 0V
                      12: 0V
                      13: 3.13V
                      14: 2V
                      15: 0V (GND)
                      16: 19.5V
                      17: 5V
                      18: 0V (NC)
                      19: 0V
                      20: 0V
                      21: 0V
                      22: 4.54V
                      23: 0V
                      24: 0V

@dellxps15, i've checked the EC_ON line from KB930 at PQ62, all 3 pins measure 0V, does that sound ok?
                      these are pu4 volts without pressing power botton ? i have the exact 100% same value as your p4u without pressing power botton

voltage on u36 ec bios ? near kbc

pin 1:3.3
                      pin2 1.2
                      pin3 3.3
                      pin4 0
                      pin5 1.3
                      pin6 0
                      pin 7 3.3
                      pin8 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                        these are pu4 volts without pressing power botton ? i have the exact 100% same value as your p4u without pressing power botton

voltage on u36 ec bios ? near kbc

pin 1:3.3
                        pin2 1.2
                        pin3 3.3
                        pin4 0
                        pin5 1.3
                        pin6 0
                        pin 7 3.3
                        pin8 3.3
                        Yeah those are without pressing power button... even if i do it makes no difference, laptop doesn't power on, 3.3 and 5v dont come on

Ok now here are differences:
                        U36
                        1: 0V (3.3V for you, this comes from FSEL KB930)
                        2: 0V (1.2V for you, this comes from FRD KB930)
                        3: 3.3V
                        4: 0V
                        5: 0V (1.3V for you, this comes from FWR KB930)
                        6: 3.3V (0V for you, this comes from SPI_CLK KB930)
                        7: 3.3V

basically all the pins coming from the superIO have different values :S

Comment

try with these bios and ec bios....

bios is u48
                          ec bios is u36

use same version a13 for both

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=991153
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-27-2020, 02:34 PM. Reason: Post copied to bios requests section

Comment

That's the same archive i used, only that i used A11 ...
                            I'll give it another try tomorrow with A13, if that doesn't help it's most likely the KB930 right?

Comment

I've been busy with cousin's Clevo laptop not powering on anymore, i'll open a separate thread for that, i'm in the process of reprogramming the chips to A13 versions, i'll update you shortly about any changes.

Comment

@dellxps15
                                lol can't believe it, the A13 worked... it's odd, but why wouldn't the A11 work too :S
                                I guess i jumped to conclusion too fast...
                                Now i have to make sure everything else is working as supposed to.

Regarding the 19v on the power button, the aforementioned Clevo is also Ivy bridge, has the same 19v on the power button like the M17x R4 and has no power on 3.3v and 5V until it's powered on.

I guess the difference between sandy and ivy bridge really is that great when it comes to off state and power button lol

Comment

so..... notebook is giving post to aliwnware logo ?

what problem has the clevo ? i have a clevo as ordinary pc... a p870km with z270 chipset and i5 9600k with modded bios . once it shut down after 1 sec... and was 1 defective ram.

Comment

Yeah it posts and has already loaded to windows,
                                    I've fully assembled it and looks like everything is recognized and working
                                    Next i'm adding the external GPU to the laptop.

The Clevo shuts down after 1-2seconds.
                                    I've swapped around the CPU, used all 3 different ram slots... BTW, weird, why would you have odd number of ram slots o.O

The laptop stays on if i remove ram from all slots, no beeps or anything.
                                    All the rams are tested in other system so they are good, however when i add a ram to this one it wont power on.
                                    Power on sequence is fully completed and then it turns off. The laptop is W350ET.

Comment

I've swapped around the CPU, used all 3 different ram slots... BTW, weird, why would you have odd number of ram slots o.O

All the rams are tested in other system so they are good, however when i add a ram to this one it wont power on.
                                      Power on sequence is fully completed and then it turns off. The laptop is W350ET.
                                      Start a new thread for the clevo please .
                                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

sorry for late. today i wanted to look at my board and after flashing a13 bios and ec pc didnt power on annymore. wich version of ec and bios did u used ?

same a13 from rar for both bios and ec, or different ec and bios ?

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                                          sorry for late. today i wanted to look at my board and after flashing a13 bios and ec pc didnt power on annymore. wich version of ec and bios did u used ?

same a13 from rar for both bios and ec, or different ec and bios ?
                                          I used the A13 for both, i made sure that the programming was ok. (Reading it back after write and copare).
                                          A11 didn't work for me and i haven't tried A12.

Comment

Working...
                                          X