Do I want Ripple Current high or low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I want Ripple Current high or low?

I see this value varies within several 3300uf caps. Do you want that number low as possible? It's very high on polymer caps.
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryzen 3600x
    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
    Rosewill Capstone 750W
    Hakko FX-888D Station
    FX-8802 Iron
    MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Re: Do I want Ripple Current high or low?

for capacitors, it refers to the maximum ripple current handling capacity before the capacitor goes kaput really fast. therefore, the higher the ripple current handling capacity rating, the better. there is no limit. aim for the sky. hope that clarifies it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
      for capacitors, it refers to the maximum ripple current handling capacity before the capacitor goes kaput really fast. therefore, the higher the ripple current handling capacity rating, the better. there is no limit. aim for the sky. hope that clarifies it.
      So is there overhead with this rating? Like near a computer processor, if you replaced a capacitor with the same voltage and capacitance but went lower on ripple rating, would it be an issue? I assume it would be more of an issue in a power supply secondary side?
      Ryzen 3600x
      16GB Patriot 3600MHz
      MSI B450 Gaming Plus
      MSI Air Boost Vega 56
      Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
      Rosewill Capstone 750W
      Hakko FX-888D Station
      FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Well, a MB has DC-DC converters on it, basically DC input power supplies. So impedance and ripple current ratings for the input and output capacitors matter.

When you're talking about the decoupling capacitor networks for a processor, those can have current transients in the tens of amps at rates in the 100s of amps-per-microsecond. Narrowly speaking the electrolytic or polymer capacitors in the decoupling network need to be low impedance - low ESR and low ESL. But capacitors with low impedance generally have high ripple current ratings.
        Last edited by PeteS in CA; 09-30-2020, 06:32 PM.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

3300uF @ 10 V=Are you recapping an Asus socket 462 motherboard? (CPU runs off of +5V rail on Asus socket 462 motherboards) Or an early-one? (From the T-bird era)
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

some of them are rated at 100KHz and some are 120Hz, i don't know why they are not measured at the same frequency?

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
              3300uF @ 10 V=Are you recapping an Asus socket 462 motherboard? (CPU runs off of +5V rail on Asus socket 462 motherboards) Or an early-one? (From the T-bird era)
              It's an XBOX. Original caps were something like 2800(mArms) and the new ones I've been replacing are 2200 and 2500 (ZLQ and UHV). I've been going with 10v lately because space permits the slightly wider cap while getting a boost on the ripple current rating.
              Last edited by jayjr1105; 10-01-2020, 06:46 AM.
              Ryzen 3600x
              16GB Patriot 3600MHz
              MSI B450 Gaming Plus
              MSI Air Boost Vega 56
              Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
              Rosewill Capstone 750W
              Hakko FX-888D Station
              FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                It's an XBOX.
                My buddy, has an XBox version 1x.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by bestsystem View Post
                  some of them are rated at 100KHz and some are 120Hz, i don't know why they are not measured at the same frequency?
                  It depends on the anticipated usage.

Modern low impedance and ultra-low impedance parts will be rated at 100KHz because the anticipated usage is power supply and DC-DC converter output capacitors. Switch frequencies vary, of course, but the datasheets typically have a graph that gives an idea of how a part's impedance varies with frequency.

120Hz rated parts tend to be general purpose or designed for bulk input capacitance for a power supply.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                  X