Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Pavilion 15-n (U92) not powering on with charger

Originally posted by classicandy View Post
    My assumption from this is that, when battery is inserted, the battery triggers something that the AC adapter is no longer triggering which enables it to power On.

Hi , I am not an expert i have seen these issues and mostly Adapter internal circuit becomes faulty which will provide 19V at charging port but for not in continues mode. In my opinion try changing adapter. check with different adapter

Comment

New Update:
      ---------------

I've still NOT been able to fix this motherboard.....

BUT i just discovered that Dell's charger similar to the HP charger for this system Powers ON the system and charge Normally.

I currently have 2 units of this exact motherboard having the same problem. And the Dell adapter is charging and Powering both of them while the recommended HP adapter isn't.

There's definitely an Explanation for this. Please assist me if possible..... Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by stingerchamp View Post
        Hi , I am not an expert i have seen these issues and mostly Adapter internal circuit becomes faulty which will provide 19V at charging port but for not in continues mode. In my opinion try changing adapter. check with different adapter
        Thanks.....

I just observed that Dell's similar adapter to HP for this system works well. Next step would now be to figure out "Why".

Comment

On the HP boards I've seen (which is not many) "adapter ID" does not go to the EC directly The central pin of the DC jack has adapter-controlled voltage that tells the board what kind of adapter is attached. There is an equivalence table which basically says something like 6V on ID pin = 75W adapter (can be seen on board schematics). This is then broken down and fed into an ADC, from where it goes to the EC, and EC then sets up battery charging profile using SMbus. If that voltage is not fed, or the circuit that hands it off to the EC isn't functioning, then EC will consider this an invalid adapter, the white light on the jack will not go up, and the board may not start without a battery.

Comment

Observe the AD_ID voltage on dell charger as well as HP charger. @emestee has rightly laid out the reasons.

Comment

Working...
            X