Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell U3011 - Troubleshooting the Power Supply board PS-2201-3-HF

Hi folks,
    I see many having issues with the U3011 monitor display (Westinghouse guts?)

I have one that would work if I unplug power from wall every once in a while. Was like that for about 3 months - Now, it doesn't turn on at all (front LEDs), but no backlight or other signs of life.

I replaced the Power Supply PS-2201-3-HF board and that took care of the problem.

I'm trying to repair the PS-2201-3-HF board. It has 2 connectors sets (top and bottom)
    Bottom set seems to be just 24V and GND with ENA, ADJ, and HDCR

Top Connector, P802, is identical, but P803 has 5, GND, 24_EN

I buttoned up the Monitor so I'm troubleshooting this board on my workbench. To turn all the supplies on, I'm assuming I tie 24_EN to 5V (with a small resistor)?

Do I have to do anything with the ENA and HDCR pins??

Any common failures that anyone can share on this board?
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Dell U3011 - Troubleshooting the Power Supply board PS-2201-3-HF

Looks like 24_EN on P803 is not connected to anything. So I'm guessing the 24 V comes on when the "ENA" is tied high.. So I shorted it to +5V (which does come on), but the 24 V never comes up. Voltage across large Cap doesn't change - 164 V DC. Is this a PFC circuit issue? Looks like this uses the Fairchild FAN7529B. Schematic anyone?
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jason123; 09-17-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Ok, update (to myself ) ENA is simply pass through - maybe to turn on the inverter power? I tied 24_EN to 5V, and now the PFC is working and voltage on large cap is 384 VDC. However the 24 V only comes up to 5.2 V.. and gradually drops to 3 and continues to drop. Does the 24V require a load on it?

Comment

I'm not seeing a controller between the 5V to the 24V. Simply a transformer, some diodes and resistors and caps. Is that possible? are they modulating the 5V and transformer turn ratio sufficient to generate 24V then filter? is that it?

Comment

Did you check that white fuse in your picture? close to R107.
          Last edited by captainKKK; 09-18-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

That is labeled C107 - I know it's a bad photo. I didn't.. I will shortly and let you know. Seems that the PFC circuit is working - Large Cap voltage goes from 164 to 384 VDC.

Comment

Cap C107 checks out.

Comment

What are the voltages on P802 and 803 when it's turned on?

Comment

Hi captainKKK... I found a couple of bad solder joints (actually arching as I move the board) so touched those up, and now 24V comes up to 24.67 V.. However, there is a chatter or relay sound (though I can't find a relay on the whole board)- Audio recording attached.. Seems shorting 5 V to 24_EN is too strong. When I use larger resistors the chatter goes away, but the rail only reaches 20 or 21 V. Any idea what resistance I should put between 5 and 24_EN?
                  Thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Any help here is appreciated folks.. I'm still having the "Clicking noise" coming out of the transformer??? I replaced the parallel Cap on the primary, and that didn't fix the issue. I'm thinking maybe internal arching? However I can't find a replacement transformer. Can anyone confirm that this indeed could be coming from transformer?

Comment

Sounds like it to me. I think I have a spare power supply for one of these in the attic, I have one with a broken panel that I've bilked parts out of.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Sounds like it to me. I think I have a spare power supply for one of these in the attic, I have one with a broken panel that I've bilked parts out of.
                        Hi,
                        thanks for the post.. would love to get my hands on a supply. I can't find a replacement transformer for this board. I search all over the internet and no one seems to carry that part number

Comment

Originally posted by jason123 View Post
                          Hi,
                          thanks for the post.. would love to get my hands on a supply. I can't find a replacement transformer for this board. I search all over the internet and no one seems to carry that part number
                          I'll poke around tomorrow and see if I can locate it.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by jason123 View Post
                            Hi,
                            You're in luck, I found 2 of them. Shoot me a PM if you want one.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              You're in luck, I found 2 of them. Shoot me a PM if you want one.
                              Are you parting with the second one? this is my first post so i guess i will be able to pm after this.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by harlock View Post
                                Are you parting with the second one? this is my first post so i guess i will be able to pm after this.

thanks
                                Yea, I could be talked out of it.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Gentlemen, apologies for bumping an older thread, but I'm curious if anyone has isolated a common fault with this board?

A little googling and youtube, reveals it seems to be a common fault and paying around $70 to $110 US to import a board is a common fix for those technically minded.

As someone with a soldering iron and multimeter, I'd at least be willing to take a crack at repairing it if there seems to be a common component that gives up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time, it's appreciated!.

Comment

Originally posted by blankdisplay View Post
                                    Any thoughts?
                                    So would that be the same issue as the O/P's? - i.e. PSU clicking and/or not turning On? If no, you may want to start a new thread, detailing the new/other issues you're having. And whichever the case, some good high-quality pictures of the PSU board uploaded here would be helpful for us to see and try to troubleshoot alongside.

Comment

Anyone looking for U3011 power supply repair tips should take look at this older thread on this forum. It contains two possible repairs.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56411

Comment

Thanks my reply to this went missing somehow!

I'm off into the other thread, thanks so much for the forum.

Fingers crossed, I posted a heap of pics

Comment

Working...
                                        X