Toshiba 55L310u Noise/Snow in Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba 55L310u Noise/Snow in Picture

Tv works normal except for the green snow in the picture. Not everywhere at once maybe following darker shades or similar.

Tcon is integrated in the panel boards but I did measure gamma 1-14 and they're ok. Also 1.3v and 3.3v present there. VREF is 16.3v.

Main board processor is NOT a bga so it's not that but It may be failing internally.

Thoughts on whether I should go with a replacement board or further investigate the tcon ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mmartell; 12-28-2020, 01:17 PM.

Re: Toshiba 55L310u Noise/Snow in Picture

play around with the LVDS cable... sometimes that style develops a dodgy connection. Looks like Tcon to me otherwise...

Comment

Don't see anything wrong with the cable definitely pulling and replugging doesn't make a difference.

I should have said the artifacts are not seen at startup they appear within a couple of minutes of turning on so related to something heating up. I put a heatsink on the main processor didn't help.

Could probably use a Flir camera but don't have one of those.

Comment

Had another very similar lvds cable on hand. Swapped it in and still had the sparklies.

Assuming for a minute it's a tcon problem any suggestions on how to troubleshoot it ?

Comment

To try and eliminate the main board as the problem I Frankensteined in an RCA main board.

Looks great if you're on LSD.

I went into the service menu and can make changes to the panel type but of course there's no going back should I make the wrong choice...

Have a few more candidates before I quit this approach.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm sure there was a problem very similar to this one sometime in the year which concluded that the fault was down to the mainboard and a replacement mainboard cured it.
            Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I am leaning toward mainboard too but was trying to get a decent pic from an alternate mainboard to rule out the tcon definitively.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                I am leaning toward mainboard too but was trying to get a decent pic from an alternate mainboard to rule out the tcon definitively.
                I would suggest firmware update/reset for the tv main board first. If you can get the service manual, I would check all the components on the main board and also check voltages produced and sent to T-CON board. Good luck.

Comment

Replacement main board produces the exact same issue. Problem must be on the tcon.

Comment

I think it's a tcon issue, just had a similar deal with a Sanyo, had the even horizontal lines, replacement tcon cleared it up.
                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-06-2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Hello sorry guys new here could anyone please help me identify the problem of my toshiba power tv 44 inch

Comment

Don't know how I missed this but this ic probably the gamma ic labelled i1991 is sensitive to temperature swings. Heating it causes the pic to bloom almost white and cooling it with a shot of upside down canned air snaps the pic back to beautiful with zero artifacts. It didn't feel hot to the touch though which I find odd.

I removed it and put it back and the pic looks great but the ic is roasting hot now, can't keep a finger on it.

Anyone know anything about this ic or know of an alternative ? It's a QFN32 package.

Comment

And here's a pic of it...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I put one of those thick heat transfer pads you find under YSUS boards on this ic and it's running HOT, the rubber is almost too hot to touch!

It's running though without artifacts but I'm afraid to leave it unattended in case it catches fire lol. Maybe these chips run very hot under normal operation ?

Edit: NOT normal. I was starting to see a darkish spot at the bottom of the lcd panel where the gamma ic is. Definitely running too hot!

If anyone has one of these I would like to purchase it instead of waiting for shipping from China as Aliexpress is the only place I can find it.
                            Last edited by mmartell; 02-08-2021, 01:38 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

I can look for one of those in my scrap TV pile and ship it to you... PM me if interested. I'm in Chilliwack, B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by matt88 View Post
                                Hello sorry guys new here could anyone please help me identify the problem of my toshiba power tv 44 inch
                                Hello Matt88
                                You will need to start your own thread and give as much information as possible ie description of the fault, any voltage readings taken, some photo's of your boards.
                                Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

This has been resolved by changing out the IC in question.

Big shout out to jjanssen7 for tossing one in the mail to me from a scrap set he had on hand.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Very nice save.

Comment

Nice one brilliant diagnoses, seeing a lot of panel mounted PCBs ending up faulty with Ic and ceramic cap faults, plus I hate working on them
                                      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Hair dryer - handyman's secret weapon

Yes not very practical to work on them with bench tools. I had to make a temporary bench with a couple of sawhorses and a piece of plywood so I could get the thing in position to be repaired.

Comment

Working...
                                        X