iMac is not visible for iCloud unlocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac is not visible for iCloud unlocking

Purchased an older iMac 27" 2011 with no HDD. Installed a new HDD and restored OS via web restore. Got a message saying that this mac has been locked with the 'Find my Mac' feature. The previous owner said he used to lock it sometimes in order to prevent his kids from playing too much, so he admits it could have been left locked. This mac is still listed under his iCloud devices, however the device is shown as grayed out and won't let him remove the lock even when I have the device turned on and connected to the internet.
    Is it because it is running from a new HDD? What could I do in order to make it available for unlocking?
    Thank you!

Re: iMac is not visible for iCloud unlocking

tell him to contact apple over such bs.
    i didnt even know this shit (find my mac - or whatever) extended to full-size stuff!
    meantime - put linux on it.

Comment

After another few attempts it finally worked!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        ...meantime - put linux on it.
        I've never tried Linux on a modern (intel) mac...... I've got an iMac PPC with Ubuntu on it, and it was mediocre....but it's crap hardware too.... I'm assuming modern stuff fares a lot better?
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

given that osx is actually BSD, i imagine performance is about equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            I've never tried Linux on a modern (intel) mac...... I've got an iMac PPC with Ubuntu on it, and it was mediocre....but it's crap hardware too.... I'm assuming modern stuff fares a lot better?
            Somewhere around 2010, I tested this in a iMac intel early 2006.
            Opened it to fix the power supply, and just for kicks booted it with another HDD with ubuntu 10.04 installed. Throw some error on first boot, then run like nothing, even having been installed in a MBR partition instead of GPT. Messed up a little with their propietary drivers (f*ck broadcom), then run it about as fast of any pc with similar hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Not necessarily

I tried dual-booting MX Linux 19.3 on a mid-2013 Macbook Air

Speed was sorta OK, but trackpad close enough to unusable and Apple's lack of right-click making it necessary to fart-arse about with two fingers

Macbook is now all-Catalina (Big Sur too lethargic on that machine)

Although MX on 2007 A1181 is a better experience, but still irritating

Don't really use either of them - bought to get to grips with Apple, but don't know why I bothered

Apple proves that one can fool some of the people, all of the time
              better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
              X