Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchpad adhesive

Dear forum members,

I am replacing the touchpad of Dell Inspiron 5520. I removed the old touchpad. It was glued to the palm rest. Now I should glue the new touchpad by some adhesive to the palmrest. but I do not know what kind of adhesive to use.
    Once I used some wood adhesive. but the touchpad did not work when it was touched. It seems the adhesive blocked the sensing properties of the touchpad. So I removed the wood adhesive.
    By inspecting the smell of the adhesive, I discovered that the adhesive of the old touchpad is not an ordinary adhesive such as super glue, or PVC glue, or plastic glue which we can find in the market.
    what kind of adhesive is appropriate for this purpose?

thanks

here is a photo of the touchpad and where it should be glued to.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by caspian; 11-02-2018, 07:44 AM.

Re: Touchpad adhesive

Try 3M adhesive double sided tape like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-300LSE....c101006.m3226

Comment

b7000 is what i have been using on tablet and phone screens maybe this would work?

Comment

but this is not a touch screen. have you tested it on laptop touchpads?

Comment

no but i would of thought if it works on a touch screen i would work on a touch pad?

Comment

thanks for all the replies,
            I am not a phone repairman. Thus, I am not familiar with touch screen adhesives. It may work on touchpads too.
            is the touch screen adhesive placed between screen and touch-panel or above the touch-panel? If it is placed between screen and touch-panel, it does not cover the touch-panel. that is why the adhesive cannot reduce the sensitivity of the touch-panel.
            In laptops, the adhesive has to be placed between touchpad and palmrest (or our fingers). that is why the adhesive may reduce the sensitivity of the touchpad.
            Last edited by caspian; 11-02-2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

i have just reread post one, yes your rite b7000 glue probably wont work then as yes usually used just around the edges of digitizers etc,not sure what too suggest though too use.

Comment

thanks anyway.
                gluing a laptop touchpad is very rare among laptop repairshops. usually only factories do it. that is why very few people know about the adhesive.
                the touchpad adhesive is visible on the surface of the touchpad in the second photo in Post#1.
                the touchpad adhesive is similar to a colorless super glue that we use for gluing papers or plastic at home. but it has a different smell. It smells similar to some plant extract.
                Last edited by caspian; 11-02-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I've only had to replace a glued touchpad once due to heavy liquid damage. I didn't glue the new one in as it was held in properly with only the guides on the side and clip.
                  I think B7000 would work but I'm not sure.
                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

just use some 3M adhesive tape

Comment

I replaced them a couple of times and usually no adhesive is needed-The adhesive on the surface of touchpad does the job.(Did you cleaned the touchpad after removal??)

Comment

wondering if spray mount will work .

Comment

the old adhesive was not powerful to hold the new touchpad. so I had to remove it.
                          I discovered that if a bit of wood adhesive be on the surface of a touchpad, then the touchpad gets confused in sensitivity and the mouse cursor stops moving, it does not matter the wood adhesive is wet or dried.
                          So I had to forget any kind of adhesive and use a heuristic mechanical method to hold the touchpad in place. I put plastic peaces between the touchpad and the mainboard so that the touchpad is pushed up. I drew a picture of this method for everyone to learn.
                          I wonder if someone discovers the best adhesive which factories use for gluing touchpad to palmrest. touchpad has a very sensitive surface so that its sensing capability is blocked if we use a wrong adhesive.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by caspian; 11-05-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

LOCA ( liquid optical clear adhesive ) was used for replacing glass only on phone displays
                            But need UV for curing. I don't know if UV can penetrate plastic of palm rest.

Also OCA tapes or sheets (similar thing but not liquid) but I doubt you can obtain free bubble area and that will affect touch in some zones.

Since both are used in glass replacement and touchscreen still works after,maybe is OK for touchpad too.

Comment

I was also looking for this answer, but in the end I was able to use the glue left on removal, I could stick it back by applying heat and softening the glue. But based on the image of a Dell trackpad replacement, it comes with a 3M adhesive, so if you already removed the glue, you should remove all rest of glue and apply this type of adhesive.

Attached Files

Comment

I think OCA glue film sheet can be use too. It has been use to stick digitizer and lcd screen (phone)

Comment

Working...
                                X