Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belkin F5D4076-S v2 Powerline Adapter. Bad Cap and SCHOTTKY RECTIFIER

Hi,

Firstly I'm quite the amature at fault finding.

I have a pair of Belkin F5D4076-S v2 powerline adapters. One is working the other is dead.

On opening the dead one. I spotted a bulging cap which is a 6.3v 2200uF.
    Measuring it with a MM reads 1900 uF.

There is also next to it a SM SCHOTTKY 399F SM340C. On testing this for continuity there is none. However on testing the other powerline there is continuity. So looks like I need to replace that also.

I cannot find any Schematics for the powerline. I've been able to locate some data on the SM340C however I don't understand what the 399F means as I can't see this explained in the Data sheets I've looked at.
    Was wondering if this was the max operating temp?

I'm wondering if I can just replace it with any SM340C?

I've included a picture of the said SM340C and also the bulging cap.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil
    Attached Files

Re: Belkin F5D4076-S v2 Powerline Adapter. Bad Cap and SCHOTTKY RECTIFIER

SM 340C is Shottky Diode. I think that you can replace it with any diode if the current rating is simular. It's 3A diode. Usually semiconductors don't fail this way, but shorting.Replace the caps and put some shottky with at least 3A current rating.It's only for the rectification of the output of the PSU. Perhaps even a usual diode will do the trick for testing. Shottkys are faster, although.
    Last edited by televizora; 12-12-2020, 07:58 AM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
      SM 340C is Shottky Diode. I think that you can replace it with any diode if the current rating is simular. It's 3A diode. Usually semiconductors don't fail this way, but shorting.Replace the caps and put some shottky with at least 3A current rating.It's only for the rectification of the output of the PSU. Perhaps even a usual diode will do the trick for testing. Shottkys are faster, although.
      Thank you for helping me.

With caps am I correct that I can replace it with a higher rated cap then 2200uF as long as the 6.3 voltage is the same. Just not lower than 2200uF?

And also any Electrolytic cap will be fine?

With the Shottky. So a 3A but is the voltage not important?

Thanks

Regards
      Neil
      Last edited by Lien1454; 12-13-2020, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lien1454 View Post
        Thank you for helping me.
        With caps am I correct that I can replace it with a higher rated cap then 2200uF as long as the 6.3 voltage is the same. Just not lower than 2200uF?
        3A Shottky with voltage rating not less than 40V. I usually buy diodes with high voltage ratings. Because the difference in any parameter between 40V 3A and 100V 3A is insignificant, if there is any, I buy high voltage diodes, usually at least 100V, so I can use them on more places. The only difference is usually the price. But having one type, for example 100V and use it both in circuits, where 20V and 60V is required saves inventory space and money, because you can cut the number of varieties you need to stock. I don't mass produce or repair one type of device. If I did so, it would be viable option to cut the costs by using for example 40V diode where the voltage is supposed to be 30V, instead of using 100V diode and this way save some pennies.
        Caps can be any and will work. But how long it would work depends of the type of cap you use.
        You can use higher voltage cap, for example replace 10V with 16V.
        BUT, don't deviate from the capacitance rating, although sometimes it may not be a problem, sometimes wrong capacitance will make the whole circuit non operational.
        340C is 3A 40V Shottky. First digit is current, the next two are voltage rating.
        For diodes - current and voltage rating exact or not less the old one.
        For capacitors - voltage rating not less than the older one, higher voltage rating is acceptable, capacitance - exactly the same.
        And temperature - always 105C.

85C usually have much shorter life, because the components are cramped inside small cases and everything heats up.
        Last edited by televizora; 12-13-2020, 12:14 PM.
        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Thank you very much for your help

Comment

Thank you very much for your help
            Have you already fixed the adapter?

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
              Have you already fixed the adapter?
              I finished up removing the same cap and SCHOTTKY from the other working adapter to confirm it. Turns out the cap is the issue. I've ordered one up and should be here shortly

Comment

I've ordered one up and should be here shortly
                Replace diode too, if you have any doubts about it. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X