HDD diagnostics program that works with SATA controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDD diagnostics program that works with SATA controllers

I need bootable CD with program similar to MHDD or Victoria that is compatible with SATA/ACHI controllers. In the good old days I could have just forced ATA/IDE mode in the BIOS, but many new computers come without compatiability mode and many of the old dos tools don't work at all.
    So, I need a program that can test the disk, show a map of the drive and access times, LBA-s of bad sectors. Sometimes when drive is failing, it slows down, while the data can still be read. Access times of over 300ms mean that the drive is starting to fail, no matter what SMART or simple disk testers tell you. I need out of box SATA support. I don't want to use the tools from the manufacturers of the drives, because I need separate tool for each brand and they do not provide access times information or LBA-s of slow/damaged blocks.
    Currently I use WindowsPE live disk and Victoria for Windows, because of this exact problem. But it is slow to load and I prefer the old style full screen disk testing program like MHDD.
    Last edited by televizora; 02-11-2021, 03:27 AM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Re: HDD diagnostics program that works with SATA controllers

For DOS you can try HDAT2, don't look nice as MHDD but it's
    good and updated.

https://www.hdat2.com/

Comment

Originally posted by noppa View Post
      For DOS you can try HDAT2, don't look nice as MHDD but it's ...good and updated. https://www.hdat2.com/
      I know about HDAT2, but the problem with it is that there is no disk map and I can't see if there are slow sectors. Sometimes the SMART is OK, the check completes without bad sectors, but the drive is full with slow sectors and is about to fail. Starting live Windows and then Victoria for Windows is too slow, I want to speed up things.
      Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
      1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Try asking the developer of HDAT2 if he would consider implementing it?
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

You may be better off looking for an old motherboard with the chipset Intel 945 and using it as your "hdd scanning/diagnose" PC.
          Nowadays these are cheap, have the IDE/AHCI switch and will run pretty much any test program in existence (just use less than 2GB of ram if will run DOS programs, or some of them will throw strange errors).

Comment

Working...
          X