GTX 1070 Dual 8GB - Short Circuit on 3.3v Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX 1070 Dual 8GB - Short Circuit on 3.3v Line

Hello everyone, i hope you guys are okay. I'll apologize in advance for my grammar and spelling mistakes, since english is not my native language and i learnd it all by myself.

I just bought this GTX 1070 to start learning about gpu repairing, and it came to me in really good conditions, never have been to any repair attempt before, and the problem was that it would turn on, fans instantly went up to 100% and no image, it had v-core and the gpu would get hot.

I was watching a youtube video to learn which tensions to look for, and at some point i went to the fans connector which is labeled as J19 in the boardview (i got the boardview for my exactly gpu on this forum) and i tried to measure its pins, and i made a huge mistake...

According to the boardview the pin 1 is GND, 2 is FAN_PWR, 3 is FAN_TACH_3 and 4 is GPIO16_FAN_PWM.

I accidentally shorted the pins 2 and 3 with the red multimeters tip ( the black one was on gnd) i released it really quckly but it was sufficient to damage something, and some burnt smell came up, near the pcie conector that goes on the riser, but i couldnt find any burnt component...

Now the gpu shows a short circuit on the 3.3v line in the pci-e, and i think it lost v-core and memory v-core also, it only has 12v in the mosfets near the chip and 1.8v in the bios chip.

Do you guys think i killed it or is it any chance of repair? I am a really unexperienced newbie but i am willing to study a lot and learn with you guys, it's been 4 hours since i'm sitting here moving around the boardview and trying to learn something about it. Any help is highly apreciated. I can provide you more pictures of the board and also anything you guys need.

Thank you very much, i'll upload the boardview also in the post.
    Attached Files

Re: GTX 1070 Dual 8GB - Short Circuit on 3.3v Line

First you must determine the 12v and 3.3v pins on the card pins. Measure the impedance of the 12v and 3.3v coils. If the impedance goes to zero or short circuit. If there is a short circuit on the 3.3v line on the card pin, 90% of the gpu will die. If the 12v line is short circuited to the ground, 70% of the pcb error 30% of the gpu is crazy. How to know if the gpu is still able to save or not by supplying a small voltage of 0.5-0.75v to the 12v line, if the power supply does not automatically disconnect, leave it alone for 30 seconds. In that 30 seconds, the ammeter shows the indicator from 0.5a. to 0.68a and gpu warm or hot, the gpu's ability is crazy.
    Last edited by ductranvinh; 06-11-2022, 03:19 AM.
    PC work for schemaltic:
    Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
    CPU: I3-3240
    Ram: 16Gb
    Graphic Card: GTX 1050Ti zotac 4Gb Mini
    SSD: 120Gb
    HDD: 2Tb

Comment

Originally posted by ductranvinh@gmail.com View Post
      First you must determine the 12v and 3.3v pins on the card pins. Measure the impedance of the 12v and 3.3v coils. If the impedance goes to zero or short circuit. If there is a short circuit on the 3.3v line on the card pin, 90% of the gpu will die. If the 12v line is short circuited to the ground, 70% of the pcb error 30% of the gpu is crazy. How to know if the gpu is still able to save or not by supplying a small voltage of 0.5-0.75v to the 12v line, if the power supply does not automatically disconnect, leave it alone for 30 seconds. In that 30 seconds, the ammeter shows the indicator from 0.5a. to 0.68a and gpu warm or hot, the gpu's ability is crazy.
      Hey brother thanks for replying!

So let's go. I actually have a short circuit on the 3.3v line but 12v line is okay. So what you said about how to know if the gpu is still able to save, let me se if i got it right.:

I should supply a small voltage of 0.5-0.75v to the 12v line and the power supply should automatically disconnect is that right? If that doesnt happen, i should keep supplying the voltage for 30 seconds. After that, it the indicator shows a current of 0.5a to 0.68a and gpu warms it means that the gpu is dead?

Comment

No bro! When you card, short circuit pin 3.3v at pcie 99% gpu dead
        PC work for schemaltic:

Comment

No bro! When you card, short circuit pin 3.3v at pcie 99% gpu dead
          Hey brother i was wrong, the pci rail that is shorted is not the 3.3v line, according to the boardview it's the PEX line, i'm trying to trace it using the boardview and it connects to a single capacitor, and i dont know what to do next

Comment

That line short ?!
            PC work for schemaltic:

Comment

That line short ?!
              i can't see the image you posted, but i marked as red the shorted rail, it says in the boardview it's a PEX rail
              Attached Files

Comment

Yep! This rail you mark in picture! This mean gpu dead 99%
                PC work for schemaltic:

Comment

Yep! This rail you mark in picture! This mean gpu dead 99%
                  ohh thats sad

is there any kind of test i can do to make sure? like in the gpu capacitors or something like that?

Comment

try isolating the circuit removing fuses and 0 ohms resistors and check whatever is attached to that line, could be dead GPU, but maybe something else shorting that line tho. If you have a thermal cammera, use it, if not, with patience look for what is heating up somewhere in the pcb, if you have DCPS, feed that line with it and tell us how many amps are being draw.

Comment

Originally posted by bajinchi View Post
                      try isolating the circuit removing fuses and 0 ohms resistors and check whatever is attached to that line, could be dead GPU, but maybe something else shorting that line tho. If you have a thermal cammera, use it, if not, with patience look for what is heating up somewhere in the pcb, if you have DCPS, feed that line with it and tell us how many amps are being draw.
                      I just ordered a hot air station but it didn't arrive yet so unfortunatelly i cant remove any components now, also i don't have a thermal camera, but i do have a DCPS! I should inject 3.3v maximum right? I'll do it right now and will come back to tell you the results

Comment

Originally posted by bajinchi View Post
                        Hey brother thanks a lot for you tip, i just got a little progress!!!

So, i injected 3.4V in the shorted line, and it was drawing 0.19 amps as you can see in the picture, so i started touching the board looking for any hot spots and i noticed one really hot almost burning my finger, which according to the boardview is the ''U502'', i'll post a picture too. So grabbed a hot air station from a friend and removed it, and the shorte in the pci-e connector disappeared!

I'm still not sure how to test this component off the board but i'm looking for it online, now i think i need to find another one compatible and put it back right??

its description is: LOGIC 74LVC1G08GW SOT353
                        PHILIPS
                        Attached Files

Comment

i think i found it on aliexpress, this is the same right?
                          Attached Files

Comment

hello, is there an update. i have the same situation in 3090. u811 1,2 and 3 legs are short circuit (LOGIC 74LVC1G08GW)

Comment

Working...
                            X